Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sword fight erupts at Sikh temple in NYC

Sword fight erupts at Sikh temple in NYC

Dojo Storm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inK4n...layer_embedded

NEW YORK -- A brawl involving cricket bats and small swords at a Sikh temple in New York City has led to riot and assault charges against seven people. Police say the defendants interrupted prayer services at the Baba Makhan Shah Lubana Sikh Center in Queens on Sunday. They were arraigned Monday. Temple president Jamail Singh told the Daily News that the fight was instigated by a dissident group of followers who are opposed to opening up membership. The dispute is at the center of a lawsuit in state Supreme Court. Some of those arrested Sunday also were charged with disrupting a religious service.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

for years LKFMDC and I have been saying that Sihks don't breed well in captivity, and I guess this just proves our point...

(harmless but waaaay inside joke btw me & Ross, not a jab at Sihks)

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    When was this? The timestamp at the end of the vid says 2005, so I don't think it's recent...

Is this still a point of contention in NY?

Also, wtf kind of swords are those, they look barbed/serrated. Amazing no one was severely injured...?
    swords look like fairly typical of Indian sabers and scimitars. hard to see the mix there.

As points of contention go, this is a severe abuse in actuality. Religiously speaking, and almost any religion.

Kind of like the killing of Thomas Becket in 1170, who whilst exercising the right of sanctuary, as granted, was killed in sanctuary. More than likely on the orders of Henry II. This was more importantly an assertion of secular power over the church of Rome at the time.

Sanctuary was abolished in 1623 by James I.

And that's when the churches power started to wain against the masses of powerful and wealthy kings that arose in the period following the fall of the roman empire and the rise of kingdoms and empires in their own right across Europe.

Massive schism occurred with the protestant reformation and roman power was lost regionally and mostly throughout the western European kingdoms.

The fundamental religion remained the same though. Christianity in Europe, Islam across the caliphate, Judaism in a state of diaspora, although it was the state religion of the Khazar empire (Ukraine), which fell in the 11th century.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

swords look like fairly typical of Indian sabers and scimitars. hard to see the mix there.

As points of contention go, this is a severe abuse in actuality. Religiously speaking, and almost any religion.

Kind of like the killing of Thomas Becket in 1170, who whilst exercising the right of sanctuary, as granted, was killed in sanctuary. More than likely on the orders of Henry II. This was more importantly an assertion of secular power over the church of Rome at the time.

And that's when the churches power started to wain against the masses of powerful and wealthy kings that arose in the period following the fall of the roman empire and the rise of kingdoms and empires in their own right across Europe.

Massive schism occurred with the protestant reformation and roman power was lost regionally and mostly throughout the western European kingdoms.

The fundamental religion remained the same though. Christianity in Europe, Islam across the caliphate, Judaism in a state of diaspora, although it was the state religion of the Khazar empire (Ukraine), which fell in the 11th century.
    Another thread saved by the power of Non-Sequitor Man!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Interesting history.

I'm not following how this links up with what happened at the Sikh temple though... Are you meaning to say that, because the temple is in a country that does not have the law of sanctuary, this type of behaviour should be expected? It may not be what you mean, I'm simply wondering.

It's my understanding that the attack was precipitated as a response to something that happened in the morning of that day... apparently something to do with offering sanctuary or space to a non-Sikh?
    What I am saying is that a temple is a place of sanctuary always.

It would appear however, and throughout history, that people do not actually choose for this to be so. This incident is just another illustration of that sad point.

I apologize if I was too far away from that salience.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That's about as on track as my ANZAC post in your Ming thread.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    for years LKFMDC and I have been saying that Sihks don't breed well in captivity, and I guess this just proves our point...

(harmless but waaaay inside joke btw me & Ross, not a jab at Sihks)
    Originally a Laurette-ism, so WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY BAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKK
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

punjabis gone wild

crazy chutias lol

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Sikhs may not be very good fighters but they can cook the **** out of some vegetarian food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    That's about as on track as my ANZAC post in your Ming thread.
    touché
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Ah religion, the mother for war.

It may be war's mother but its also mankinds wh0re!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I'm offended by Bawang's use of profanity.
    It's ok man, that'll pass and you'll get used to him.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It's ok man, that'll pass and you'll get used to him.
    i have a really funny side project about bawang that when i post it everyone here will love stay tuned lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

that fight was pretty sikh......
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.