Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Kung Fu guys spend too much time trying to look like Kung Fu guys?

Do Kung Fu guys spend too much time trying to look like Kung Fu guys?

In a nutshell, do you feel most CMA practioners worry too much about so called chinese flavor and making their fighting resemble Kung Fu techniques found in forms or other areas as apposed to what many fights or sparring matches end up looking like (glorified kickboxing, of course).

In all seriousness I respect very much those that break down techniques from forms, basics, and two man training and apply or at least attempt to apply to a sparring or full contact match. But do you feel it is more beneficial from a fighting aspect to learn simpler basic tecniques that are easier to use? Thoughts?
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

just have a look at their facebook profiles.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    just have a look at their facebook profiles.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    If you're going to lose all the structure, methodology and technique of Kung-Fu and end up with basic kickboxing, then why bother doing Kung-Fu at all?
    Just do kickboxing and be done with it.
    After all, that is what you're doing anyway.
    You're just wearing the t-shirt.
    Some people maintain the mindsets..but it's still kickboxing.
    Some people "flavor" their kickboxing..well, it's an attempt...

makes me ponder; if you aknowledge that your system contains jabs, cross, uppercut, hook, overhand, frontkick, roundhouse, knees and elbows, and in addition add key signatures of your style, are you doing Chinese-flavored kickboxing?

or, if you simply omit the signature techniques and elements, the "flavoring," are you doing Kung-Fu?
    Or, if you add them into your system just so you can compete with the kickboxers, then what?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

fights are like random event or chaotic

opportunities come and go.

--

prefered techniques or tactics and strategy

--

fight like what you train

train like what you fight

etc etc

1. entering

2. engaging

3. finishing

back to 1 or 2

or repeat 1 or 2

till you end with 3.

---

Blog Entries
    IF all you're doing is entering the fighting arena then the simpler the better. but, there are still alot of people out there who don't want to learn to fight or defend themselves. they're interested in learning the art only. be a part of a group, and this group just happens to teach traditional martial arts. many people love to learn the exotic weaponry but will most likely never get to use a Kwan Do in the streets.

if you're doing forms, then sure look like a gung fu guy. its just a form of expression. but if you're gonna fight realistically, some should realize that combative stuff is not a pretty or as fluffy as what you see in forms.

but then, within a group you will find those who are looking to fight so you teach them differently than the non fighters.

So don't go acting like a Kung Fool!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

some believe that you have some repertoise of preferred techniques and change the combination among them randomly

but what if they are all countered

--

some believe that you may repeat the same techniques over and over

till you nail the opponent

--

if you see someone repeating chuan zhang and steps over and over as entering

yes it is a yin style ba gua player

--

if you see someone repeating beng quan left and right over and over as entering, engaging and finishing

--

yes it is a xing yi player

--

they do not intend to look like kung fu player

they are kung fu players and it shows.

--

if the rules of the ring change things,

they may modify things somewhat, but the true colors still show in stepping, posturing, tactics and strategy--

---

Blog Entries
    some believe that you have some repertoise of preferred techniques and change the combination among them randomly

but what if they are all countered
    Preferred strikes in gung fu are no different than preferred strikes of any discipline.

What if they were all countered? what if we countered their counter? then if they counter us we counter them they counter us we counter them they counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter them..................

OMFG IT WILL NEVER END!!!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Preferred strikes in gung fu are no different than preferred strikes of any discipline.

What if they were all countered? what if we countered their counter? then if they counter us we counter them they counter us we counter them they counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter themthey counter us we counter them..................

OMFG IT WILL NEVER END!!!
    yes, it is the engaging/disengaging phase.

timing, space and random opening will determine who gets upperhand.

if both are good, they will be doing exactly what you just described.

till one is tired or outmaneuvered

--

If it wasn't for facebook I wouldn't have had any idea about the amount of transvestite pirate heavy metal emo kids that post here...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I used to have to have email and cc so many people

now with facebook

I may just post or announce event, all my friends or organisations will be notified

--

with some many spam e mails, important emails will be lost fast.

--

facebook saves the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    If you're going to lose all the structure, methodology and technique of Kung-Fu and end up with basic kickboxing, then why bother doing Kung-Fu at all?
    Just do kickboxing and be done with it.
    After all, that is what you're doing anyway.
    You're just wearing the t-shirt.
    Some people maintain the mindsets..but it's still kickboxing.
    Some people "flavor" their kickboxing..well, it's an attempt...

makes me ponder; if you aknowledge that your system contains jabs, cross, uppercut, hook, overhand, frontkick, roundhouse, knees and elbows, and in addition add key signatures of your style, are you doing Chinese-flavored kickboxing?

or, if you simply omit the signature techniques and elements, the "flavoring," are you doing Kung-Fu?
    Or, if you add them into your system just so you can compete with the kickboxers, then what?

This is the "pondering" I was talking about. People like to say that when Kung Fu players fight, they end up looking like kickboxers. Techniques should be simple to perform, fast, and cause damage. If they don't, what's the point? Jab, Cross, Hook is a great combination, but what about throwing in a Dragon's head instead of a hook, how about instead of using a front thrust or teep, you use an iron broom.

My point of view is this, Kung Fu in and of itself is more a philosophy or intangible than anything. Sure you have your systems and they have their flavor, but what two individuals have you ever seen use the same techniques, in the same manner, in the exact same way? You never have, and you never will.

i spend all my time trying to look mma. i got the shirt, shorts, hats, and stickers that say im elite and all the skulls back it up.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If it wasn't for facebook I wouldn't have had any idea about the amount of transvestite pirate heavy metal emo kids that post here...
    that's just one picture...and the Les Paul justifies everything.
    and it's not emo, it's glamrock.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.