Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

Kung Fu Fighting was released 40 years ago this month, sold 11m copies, won a Grammy

Nice 'catch up with Carl' piece. There are a lot of embedded vids of the music mentioned in the original of this article.

‘You become an arse overnight’: the pitfalls of having a hit novelty single
    We love them (for about five minutes). Then we hate them (for ever). But what do the people who made such classics as Kung Fu Fighting and the Crazy Frog think of them now?

Peter Robinson
    The Guardian, Thursday 11 September 2014 13.38 EDT

Carl Douglas of Kung Fu Fighting and the Crazy Frog … where are they now? Carl Douglas of Kung Fu Fighting and the Crazy Frog … where are they now? Photograph: Guardian

In 1974, a 32-year-old Jamaican singer called Carl Douglas was hoping to release a single called I Wanna Give You My Everything. One afternoon, his label’s head of A&R announced that the single could come out as soon as it had a B-side, and asked his colleagues to sift through Douglas’s recordings for suitable candidates. He went to lunch, came back an hour later and was greeted by a defiantly absurd disco banger by the name of Kung Fu Fighting.

That executive’s response, Douglas explains today from his Hamburg home, was this: “JESUS CHRIST! This is a monster. We need a B-side for THIS. He’s going into the FUTURE!”

Carl laughs at the memory. That’s only fair: Kung Fu Fighting was released 40 years ago this month, sold 11m copies, won a Grammy, and hit No 1 on both sides of the Atlantic. Last year, the song topped the charts in China for the first time, and is one of the 50 best-selling singles of all time. It’s also the quintessential novelty single.

In 2014 novelty records continue to seduce record buyers around the world. Forty years (and one week) after Kung Fu Fighting topped the UK charts, Meghan Trainor’s quirky, doo-wop-inspired rotundity anthem All About That Bass will be released in the UK having already hit No 1 in 28 countries. Like Kung Fu Fighting and a surprising number of novelty records it is exquisitely written and produced. But just like Kung Fu Fighting and era-spanning hits from Yakety Yak and Yes! We Have No Bananas to One Pound Fish and Can We Fix It? it is, at its heart, a novelty track.

Rarely championed by media gatekeepers, novelty hits prompt a visceral, unmediated type of connection with record buyers – one that’s arguably stronger than you will find in pop’s better regarded sub-genres. But they have morphed over the decades. In pop’s early days, when audiences would come to know songs such as David Seville’s 50s hit The Witch Doctor, Napoleon XIV’s 1966 hit, They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! (whose B-side was simply the A-side played backwards) primarily through radio broadcasts, novelty hits were frequently song-driven efforts.

By the 80s novelty hits such as seemed to come with a far greater reliance on presentation and personality – a novelty single came part and parcel with a career in light entertainment. In 2014, a track like All About That Bass has blown up – like Gangnam Style – through YouTube, where its brilliantly charismatic video is the embellishment on the song’s eccentric sonic styling.

It is a curious and perhaps heartening fact that very few novelty hits are totally worthless on a musical level. “Novelty records usually tread the knife-edge of taste,” admits producer Nick Coler, who worked on the Timelords single in 1988, and later propelled the Tweenies into the top 5. “So they’re normally considered crap, but all the biggest novelty records are generally well recorded.”

It’s certainly easy to reassess the Simpsons’ Do the Bartman when you know Michael Jackson wrote it. Equally, does William Orbit’s role in Loadsamoney (Doin’ Up the House) qualify that song for honorary Balearic classic status? More recently, does the presence of Stargate – the team behind hits for Beyoncé, Rihanna and countless others – on Ylvis’ The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) make that song seem any less inane? Either way, Coler suggests that novelty records must tick one further box. “They normally have someone behind them who’s taking the ****,” he says, “but in a pleasant manner.”

All pop transports the listener to the point in time when they listened to it, but novelty records – obsessed as they often are with zeitgeist – can prove particularly potent portals to specific moments. The Cuban Boys’ 1999 hit Cognoscenti vs Intelligentsia was based on the hugely popular “hamster dance” song that itself proved an early viral sensation as dialup connections gave more and more families internet access, and says as much about that era as the Chainsmokers’ recent viral hit #Selfie does about 2014.

“I had this idea of a concept album chronologically sampling music from the 20th century,” remembers Cuban Boys founder John Matthews. “It would end, I decided, with the millennial No 1 – an ultra-banal, ultra-repetitive, internet-flavoured hit.” The album never materialised but Matthews did create that internet-flavoured hit – based on the hamster dance song – and found an unlikely champion in John Peel. The Cuban Boys signed to EMI, and the single made the top five.

A couple of years later Matthews teamed up with jocular rapper Daz Sampson, who’d already charted with his own version of Kung Fu Fighting, to form Rikki & Daz. They roped in Glen Campbell – “I think the extent of our UK credibility may have been slightly exaggerated to his people,” Matthews laughs – for a version of Rhinestone Cowboy. Later, they reinvented themselves as the papier mache-bonced Barndance Boys. “We hyped that Barndance Boys single to No 1 on [TV music channel] The Box by phoning up a million times,” Matthews admits. “When thousands of copies were ordered in the shops it inevitably turned out nobody wanted them, and we may have helped bankrupt Woolworths. Maybe we were dancing in the last flames of the old-school novelty hit back then, but we were still desperately trying to keep that career fire burning.”

Technology, with its endless distractions and resulting drop in shared experience, has not been kind to the brand of novelty record many cherish, or at least fail to forget. “You need the focus of a nation for a gimmicky song,” Matthews explains. “As people are so rarely looking in the same direction now I think the ability of a mass audience to recognise and enjoy novelty music has been lost.”

In the modern age, with most releases strategised to within an inch of their lives, it is cheering that novelty hits can still happen almost by accident. In 2012 Sam & the Womp, the sort of fringy act you might find pootling away in the outer reaches of the Glastonbury site, had a surprise No 1 with an absurd drum’n’bass-inspired song called Bom Bom. Radio 1, apparently on something of a whim, awarded it heavy rotation. Sam & the Womp signed to Warner Brothers Records.

“In our mind Bom Bom really wasn’t a novelty song,” admits the band’s Sam Ritchie (in pleasing Seven Degrees Of Kung Fu Fighting Separation, he’s best friends with the godson of one of Kung Fu Fighting’s co-writers). “Our original instrumental worked well, but the slightly noveltyish lyrics did bring it to life. Only in hindsight am I now seeing that it had real novelty value.”

When it came to the second single, lightning refused to strike twice. “We thought there’d be a play on Fearne Cotton’s show,” Sam remembers. “It didn’t happen, and that was it.”

Instant, widespread recognition is important in a novelty hit, but it doesn’t always pan out well. Today, Alida Swart works in the operations department at a London telecoms company, but between 1996 and 1998 she and three friends were in a girlband called Vanilla. At an early stage in Vanilla’s career their manager explained that he had bought the rights to a piece of music, which producers would then write a song over. The piece of music was Mah Nà Mah Nà, a song closely associated with the Muppets; Vanilla’s resulting 1997 single, No Way No Way, was named the 26th worst song ever by Channel 4, but was inescapable at the time.

Swart laughs off the longstanding rumour that Vanilla signed to EMI as the result of someone losing a bet, but accepts that Vanilla were launched with what was unmistakably a novelty single. “When we first heard it we just laughed,” she remembers. “Then we looked at each other. Two of us wanted to be doing R&B. But we thought: ‘We might as well do it.’” Girl Power was at its peak; they reasoned that Wannabe had itself been gimmicky. No Way No Way got to No 14 but Vanilla’s second single only managed No 36 and the band were dropped. Nonetheless, Alida looks back fondly. “People still tell me today that they remember this song,” she laughs. “It’s been nominated as the worst song of the 90s quite a few times, but at least it’s remembered.”

Decent careers have been built on less. In 1997 Steps were signed for just one single – the line-dancing cash-in atrocity 5, 6, 7, 8 – but when it sold 300,000 copies they were given another single and the rest is history, or Tragedy: they eventually sold 20m records. A few years earlier, Right Said Fred got their foot in the door in a similar way.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

continued from previous

The Crazy Frog. The Crazy Frog. Photograph: REX/REX

“If you heard the original demo of I’m Too Sexy you’d have a hernia,” declares Right Said Fred’s former label boss, Guy Holmes. “It was a rock song. I said to them, I think you need to make this danceable. The entire music business thought it was a novelty single. We went on to become two-hit wonders, then three-hit wonders. The album cost £40,000 to make. That first album sold 5m copies, along with 7m singles.”

Holmes admits that while Right Said Fred used a novelty single as a trojan horse for a more conventional band launch, one of his later signings was less artistically driven. Years later, stranded in Thailand after the 2004 tsunami and, watching television in the only part of his hotel that hadn’t been destroyed, Holmes could not ignore one particular TV ad. It featuring a rather distinctive frog. “Every five minutes there was a ****ing advert for this ‘ring-ding-ding-ding-ding’ ringtone,” he recalls. “I thought: ‘That would make a great record.’” The cash from Crazy Frog’s records meant Holmes’s label, Gut Records, could develop other artists, including a young Jessie J.

“My bank manager loved me,” Holmes laughs. “The downside is that you’re instantly an arsehole. Credible artists won’t sign to you. I’d worked with U2 in 1982, but as soon as I did I’m Too Sexy I was an arsehole, overnight. The music business should remember it’s about entertaining people. There’s room for everything, and novelty records are just moments of fun. Gangnam Style is an example that you can blow up on YouTube if you’ve got a massively entertaining video.”

Novelty records may have evolved over the years but many of the principles that made Benny Hill’s Ernie (The Fastest Milkman in the West) a No 1 in the 1970s would still work today, despite changing consumption habits. The cooler corners of the internet are currently tying themselves in knots over QT’s Hey QT, a deranged electronic pop record fronted by a girl purportedly selling a made-up energy drink. The fact that it’s signed to XL Recordings sweetens the pill slightly; either way, Hey QT is arguably the first hipster novelty single.

Whether a novelty single is cool or not the trick to making one, John Matthews says, is not to fear failure – or criticism. “People hating something is a much better indication that you’ve hit gold than indifference,” he says. He recently wrote and recorded a single called Meat Paste (Get It Down Your Face) with CBBC puppet Hacker T Dog, which he hopes the BBC will release for Christmas. It is, he says, “exactly the sort of old-school novelty gimmick record we need nowadays”, though the ultimate decision lies in the hands of the public.

As for Carl Douglas, life is good. Kung Fu Fighting continues to turn up in unusual places – it has received a new lease of life thanks to the Kung Fu Panda films, a reworked version is due to appear in a new Bollywood film, and there is talk of a musical based on the song.

“I don’t know how much money that song’s made me,” he says, “but I know I’ve been fortunate. My accountant says I don’t need to worry, and that I never have to work again if I don’t want to. But I do want to.”

So that’s what he’s doing: he has recently been making a new album in Los Angeles, Barbados and Hamburg with producers including Sly & Robbie. Naturally, it includes a new version of Kung Fu Fighting. “I love that song just as much now as I did 40 years ago,” he chuckles. “I’m really quite proud of it.”
    Sly & Robbie? Maybe he'll come up with that reggae Kung Fu anthem like I discussed with Ziggy Marley.

I would also be remiss here if I didn't mention our latest ezine article: When Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting in New York City: A Retrospective by Williy Pang
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

Always loved this song.

It was 40 years ago today...

40 years ago, 'Kung Fu Fighting' tops pop charts
    Arts & Culture St. Paul, Minn. · Dec 23, 2014

Today's Morning Edition music is from 40 years ago this week when "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas finished a two-week run at the top of the U.S. pop chart.

The song capitalized on the popularity of martial arts movies made by Bruce Lee and others during the 1970s.

"Kung Fu Fighting" was originally intended as the B-side for another song Douglas recorded, but the record company decided to release it as the A-side. The song started moving up the charts after becoming popular in British disco clubs. It eventually sold 11 million copies.

Carl Douglas never had another hit song.
    Forty years and we still can't escape this **** song.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Carl Douglas song “Kung Fu Fighting” playing softly in the background

Kung Fu Fighting...the gift from Carl Douglas that just keeps giving...

Fox Reporter Accused of Racism for Chinatown Interviews Expresses ‘Regret’
    By LIAM STACK OCT. 6, 2016

Jesse Watters interviewing a man in Chinatown in New York. Credit Fox News, via YouTube

A Fox News correspondent who has been accused of stalking and harassment for his ambush-style interviews on the street expressed “regret” late Wednesday after provoking a storm of criticism and accusations of racism for filming a series of mocking interviews of Asian-Americans in New York City’s Chinatown.

But activists and officials who say the segment by the correspondent, Jesse Watters, trafficked in odious stereotypes and was demeaning to the men and women featured, planned to protest at 4 p.m. Thursday in front of the Manhattan headquarters of Fox News, according to a statement from a coalition of elected city officials and community members.

Fox broadcast the interviews on Monday as part of “Watters’ World,” a recurring segment on “The O’Reilly Factor,” the network’s top-rated show. The host, Bill O’Reilly, introduced the piece by saying it had been inspired by how frequently China was mentioned during the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald J. Trump.

But the nearly five-minute video was interspersed with references to martial arts and scenes of Mr. Watters getting a foot massage, playing with nunchucks and asking loaded questions that some residents appeared not to understand or couldn’t answer. Clips from well-known movies were sprinkled throughout the segment, including “The Karate Kid” and “Chinatown.”

Mr. Watters begins the piece with an instrumental version of the Carl Douglas song “Kung Fu Fighting” playing softly in the background. He asks two young women, “Am I supposed to bow to say hello?” He asks a street vendor if his wares were stolen: “I like these watches — are they hot?”

When he asks some passers-by their opinion of Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Trump, the two men answer in accented English, and their answers are displayed in subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

“Trump has been beating up on China; how does that make you feel?” he asks an older woman. He peppers others with questions like “Is it the year of the dragon ... rabbit?” “Is everything made in China now?” “Do they call Chinese food in China just food?”

And at one point, when another young woman says she really doesn’t want to vote for Mr. Trump so her choice was Mrs. Clinton, he opines, “So China can keep ripping us off.”

Watters' World: Chinatown edition Video by Fox News

The segment provoked an uproar among social media users, and Asian-American groups denounced it as flat-out racist. The Asian-American Journalists Association said it was “outraged and shocked” and demanded an apology from the network.

“We should be far beyond tired, racist stereotypes and targeting an ethnic group for humiliation and objectification on the basis of their race,” the group said in a statement. “Sadly, Fox News proves it has a long way to go in reporting on communities of color in a respectful and fair manner.”

The influential blog Angry Asian Man, founded by Phil Yu, a Korean-American, described the segment in a post as “a new low, even for Fox News.”

“Jesse Watters went for a holy-crap-that’s-so-racist-man-on-the-street approach,” the post said.

State Senator Daniel L. Squadron, whose district includes Chinatown, condemned the segment for “stereotyping, mockery and a thinly veiled disdain for immigrants.”

Councilman Peter Koo said in a statement: “Passing off this blatantly racist television segment as ‘gentle fun’ not only validates racist stereotypes, it encourages them. The entire segment smacks of willful ignorance by buying into the perpetual foreigner syndrome.

“How is it, that in New York City in 2016, this is still O.K.? Short answer: It’s not, and it is unfortunate that Fox News needs to be reminded of that.”

Mr. Watters responded to his critics on Twitter on Wednesday, saying he considered himself “a political humorist” and regretted that he had upset people. He said his interviews were meant to be taken as a lighthearted joke.

Jesse Watters ✔@jessebwatters
    As a political humorist, the Chinatown segment was intended to be a light piece, as all Watters World segments are.
    2:19 PM - 5 Oct 2016
    162 162 Retweets 1,018 1,018 likes
    Jesse Watters ✔@jessebwatters
    My man-on-the-street interviews are meant to be taken as tongue-in-cheek and I regret if anyone found offense.
    2:19 PM - 5 Oct 2016
    189 189 Retweets 961 961 likes
    Mr. Watters and Mr. O’Reilly, however, appeared to know that the interviews would cause a stir when the segment was broadcast on Monday.

“I know we’re going to get letters,” Mr. O’Reilly said. “It’s inevitable.” The Fox host added that he was surprised, considering how “insulated” he believed the residents of Chinatown were, that many seemed to be aware of what was going on politically.

Mr. Watters said one man who had responded negatively to him was “one of many” who “hated” him. “They’re such a polite people — they won’t walk away or tell me to get out of here,” he said, laughing.

“They’re patient, they’re patient,” Mr. O’Reilly replied.

Renee Tajima-Peña, a professor of Asian-American studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, said the segment captured a longstanding and distinct feature of anti-Asian sentiment in the United States.

“They mock the Chinese and Chinese-Americans, yet the backhanded compliments — he said these people were so polite,” Professor Tajima-Peña said. “That kind of duality of the perception of Asians has been there since time immemorial and the beginning of the republic.”

“We are either perpetual foreigners or we are the favored model minority,” she added. “We are a threat or we are docile.”

Mr. Watters has been at the center of controversy before. He became known for street interviews that sometimes seemed to serve little purpose save for bothering critics of Fox News or Mr. O’Reilly. In 2009, Amanda Terkel, then an editor at the liberal website Think Progress, wrote that she had been “accosted” by Mr. Watters while on vacation in a town two hours from where she lived.

She said she had been “followed, harassed and ambushed,” and referred to him as “O’Reilly’s top hit man.”

That incident reared its head years later, when Mr. Watters found himself in a brawl at the United States Institute of Peace during an after-party for the annual White House Correspondents Dinner.

daveweigel ✔@daveweigel
    Brawl between @ryangrim and @jessebwatters at MSNBC party.
    10:30 PM - 30 Apr 2016
    476 476 Retweets 491 491 likes
    The fight began when Ryan Grim, a reporter at The Huffington Post, where Ms. Terkel is currently employed, tried to film Mr. Watters with an iPhone. Fisticuffs soon followed.

“Ambush guy can’t take getting ambushed,” Mr. Grim told The Washington Post. “Maybe he should think about his life choices.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Everybody was King-Fu Fighting

You must follow the link to see the vid and the typo.

Decatur Firefighter Shows His Dance Moves Amid Flooding
    By: Karella Kordsmeier
    Posted: May 01, 2017 06:45 PM CDT
    Updated: May 01, 2017 06:45 PM CDT

DECATUR, Ark.- - It's clear the weekend weather took a toll on the state, but as Taylor Swift famously said, "shake it off."

Check out this video of a Decatur Fire Fighter showing off his "kung-fu style." The video is courtesy of Northwest Arkansas's bravest and the has been viewed nearly four-million times.

We caught up with the man in the video, Derek Knight, who says he was getting tired and delirious, so he wanted to lighten the mood.

"We'd been up for quite some time. It was getting a little weary. I was a little tired and I was a little loopy from being so tired but they started putting music on the PA system on the truck and I started dancing," said Knight.

The video is getting traction all around the world.

Knight said if it helps people find a reason to smile in all the storms and damage, then he has done his job.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On this date in 1974

Today in rock history; R.I.P. Darby Crash, Carl Douglas' "Kung Fu Fighting" and more
    Tom Waits is born, and artists rock against apartheid.
    GABE ECHAZABAL DEC 7, 2017 7 AM

Today in rock history: on this date in 1974, Jamaican recording artist Carl Douglas scored one of the biggest and most successful "one-hit wonder" songs of all-time. “Kung Fu Fighting,” a song originally scheduled to serve as the B-side of a single for another intended release went on to sell millions upon millions of copies all around the world and topped singles charts in just about every country that charts record sales. On this date, the song began the first of a two-week run at the No. 1 spot on U.S. Billboard charts; a feat it also duplicated on the publication’s soul charts as well. The song, intended to capitalize on the martial arts film craze of the day was a slow seller at first but constant rotation in dance clubs helped make it a successful seller in no time. Recorded in only 10 minutes and in only two takes, this song which was originally thought of as just a throwaway number, helped kick start the disco movement and remains a recognizable and well-known song to this day.

I only copied the section on this song (although Tom Waits B-day is worth celebrating too)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I only copied the section on this song (although Tom Waits B-day is worth celebrating too)
    https://en.mediamass.net/people/carl...deathhoax.html

Hoax...

lol

I didn't even see that hoax, just the anniversary. Good on you GLW.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A little bit frightening

The Top Uses of the Song “Kung Fu Fighting” in Movies
    Tom April 11, 2018 No Comments

Kung Fu Fighting kind of overshadowed the career of its creator, Carl Douglas. In the US he’s been known as a one-hit wonder, but in the UK he had at least two other songs manage to elevate him to a little more fame. Of course given that Kung Fu Fighting has been used so extensively being a one-hit wonder in the US wasn’t such a bad thing. In fact the song is still being used in film and TV since it’s such a popular and highly adaptable song. Chances are if you watch a fight scene that has any Asian undertones to it you might hear this song. It’s one of the more popular background tracks to use and has been around for quite some time.

Here are just a few instances in which it was used to great effect.

5. Kung Fu Panda 3

Po had a very interesting character arc throughout the three movies that he was the star of. He became the student, then the warrior, and then the master. Each film has him developing just a little more as he finally comes full circle and has mastered Chi, the life-giving force that resides in every person. Plus he managed to figure out just who he is and answer the question of he came to call a goose “dad”.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

4. Dancing With The Stars

This song doesn’t seem like it would offer itself up to anything other than this. It’s possible I believe to adapt it to any dance but it seems to fit with this particular dance the most. It could have been that this was just the dancers’ favorite dance or that they figured it would be the easiest to adapt. It’s hard to know how they make their selections sometimes.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

3. Rush Hour 3

A lot of people let out a collective groan when Rush Hour 3 was announced but you kind of had to expect it when Chris Tucker let it slip in the outtakes that a particular bad guy wouldn’t be in the third film. Of course that could have been a joke but obviously someone though it was a good idea and went ahead with the making of this third movie.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

2. Scrubs

Scrubs was one of the funniest medical shows that ever aired to be honest. It paired the very serious idea of working in a hospital with the comical nature of what it means to compete at such a level and deal with very real issues. The moments of levity helped to break up what might have otherwise just been another medical drama among the many.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1. Beverly Hills Ninja

Haru is about the worst ninja you might ever watch but obviously when his concentration is on he’s no one to be messed with. I get the feeling that a lot of people heard Chris Farley and ‘ninja’ and might have wondered just what Hollywood was thinking. It didn’t get a lot of rave reviews but it was still pretty funny. Plus it poked a little fun at martial arts movies.

Everybody was kung fu fighting!
    This one vid per post is a pain in the ass sometimes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Made USA Today's top 20 NPC song list

If you want to hear the other 19, you'll have to follow the link.

20 politically incorrect songs that'd be wildly controversial today
    Maeve McDermott and Patrick Ryan, USA TODAY Published 3:45 p.m. ET April 12, 2018 | Updated 7:43 p.m. ET April 12, 2018

If these classic songs were released today, it would almost certainly ignite a scandal. USA TODAY

(Photo: Chris O'Meara/AP)

There's nothing like hearing a song come on the radio or flicker across a Spotify playlist that you haven't encountered in a while, and realizing, "Was this song always this offensive?"

The answer: Yes, it probably was. Standards have changed quite a bit in terms of what references the culture at large deems offensive in its hit songs, from casual ****phobia in pop songs from Katy Perry and Taylor Swift to the jaw-dropping lyrical content of some Rolling Stones classics.

Below, find a list of songs that, if released today, would almost certainly ignite a scandal.

Song:Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas, 1974

Choice lyric: “There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung / He said ‘Here comes the big boss, let’s get it on.' ”

Why it wouldn't fly today: Perhaps the song was just trying to celebrate the ancient art of kung fu. But its lyrics about “funky Chinamen from funky Chinatown” with stereotypically Asian-sounding last names isn’t exactly a nuanced appreciation of the culture.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips