Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: offering a limb to survive a knife attack

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    I shoot them, preferably from a distance and more than once
    You seem like a logical guy so im guessing your aiming for center mass rather than a head shot lol
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

I'm with Dave , double tap + Mozambique to finish.

I think one should also look at secure holds as well as non secure knife work like seen in the previous clips.
    Like if someone grabs a lapel and points the knife in your face, grabs you from behind with arm around your neck knife at your throat, grabs a wrist from side on and points the knife at chest etc etc.

Training these types situations must also be part of you tool box if you serious about defending against knife attacks.

IMO if you accept the fact you will get cut you have to mitigate damage. You can still defend with a cut to the arm and certain parts of the body, slahes yes, penetrating stabs not so much... Ive been taught to turn side on reducing the size of the target and protecting your vital organs etc..

Good on you Xiao3 Meng4 for adding realistic sparring in there, try working more knee stomp slash combos and turning side on to the opponent.. i found it helps big time... but this is just my experience.

Thats not VT

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Do you mean turning side-on, bullfighter style, to the oncoming blade
    Yes, it has its place and timing of course. Easy to feel when doing the drill seen in your vid.

or adopting a side-on stance throughout the encounter?
    No, this negates your experience of having to be more mobile.

My mindset comes from remaining face to face when at a distance to 'show' a large target and as the opponent commits to moving in then change to side on moving off the path of the weapon and work your techs (if all goes to plan )

Youll find you need to remain mobile and fluid with range if the attacker is giving mutipul attacks himself which is where the stomp helps maintain distance/range... your leg is longer.

From there turing back to face to face gives you the opportunity to also go from stomp to attack either reverse elbows/hand chops or using the blade if your armed also.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, the knee stomp definitely needs more ice-time. I can see Combo-ing it with a slice if I was using a longer blade (mmm, knee stomp DaDao/BJD slice!) although my limited experience suggests to me that the stomp-stab is better when using short blades.
    This is true, and i will point out that im in no way an 'expert' but i have picked up these techs from people that are... and they lend well to a VT exponent.

Im still waiting for more detailed explanations from the others about thier techs/approaches, im liking the free flow of ideas on this subject and realise my way aint the only way
    Last edited by Liddel; 05-19-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Thats not VT

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

All of the techniques showing the controlling of the knife hand are mostly unrealistic and will result in getting cut by any competent knife fighter. Someone who knows how to use a knife will not be presenting single attacks but will have a constant flow and move the knife constantly in unpredictable patterns. Or, they will hide the blade until they attack and you won't even know the knife is there until you have been cut.
    Once we had to capture a guy, one of my soldiers had his thumb almost cut off. He didnt even notice he had been cut til we told him and thought he had just blocked a punch

Offering up an arm

I am a WC novice at best, but I'll chime in - been years since I posted. Back in college a bunch of us got into a fight outside of a nightclub (under 21 event so I doubt anything was alcohol fueled). Someone on the opposing side pulled out a knife and was attempting to stab a friend who was not looking. Fortunately I was looking and jumped in between the two. If my memory serves me correctly the guy lashed out and I unfortunately / fortunately offered and arm - a bong sao vs something like a pak sao. The knife cut through my skin like butter to the bone. My sifu always warned my not to be too reliant on my bong sao, but I was young and hard headed (and now scarred). While maybe I should have done something different (pak sao etc), I'm glad I offered up that arm because 1. my friend who i was covering for would have taken it in a vital organ and 2. another friend attempted to tackle the guy with the knife and he got shanked right under the armpit - barely missed vital organs.

Several lessons came out of that for me: 1. find new friends to hang with, 2. go back to college, 3. bong sao may not have been the best move but prevented major damage 4. don't tackle people with knives, 5. I have a fun story to constantly tell my kids.

To whoever originally posted my perspective now in life is if you engage in a fight with someone with a knife- run away very fast.

Rindge