Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: offering a limb to survive a knife attack

offering a limb to survive a knife attack

Have you heard of this before?

someone flashes/waggles a knife towards to and you kind of throw out your arm in an attempt to draw the knife guy towards that limb

Quote Originally Posted by Saboi Osmosis View Post
    Have you heard of this before?

someone flashes/waggles a knife towards to and you kind of throw out your arm in an attempt to draw the knife guy towards that limb
    Hello,

Not exactly, however when in the Army I was taught one method of using the outside of the arm to deflect/block the blade. The thinking behind that was that one would get cut anyway so try and take a cut on the outside of the arm and put yourself into a position where you could cut them in a vital area.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

The best way to handle a knife attack is to control the arm holding the knife when you can't outrun the attacker.

Doing anything else is asking to die. When you offer a limb you're going to get cut and within 3 seconds or so go into shock. If anyone tells you to do that--don't listen to anything else they say. Just leave.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

The logo for my unit in Vietnam was "Death in the Dark". The unit specialized in night attacks often with K Bars. I have to agree that you may have to sacrifice a limb. I've had to use a K-Bar a few times. You may have to sacrifice a limb rather than get cut in the body. Like Dave said you may have to give the attacker the back of your arm. You never want to give the Yin side of the arm because that's where the ligaments are. If your ligaments are severed you may lose movement in that limb if you survive. If you look on my website you'll see a photo of me hold a North Vietnamese Army flag. We got that from hand to hand and bayonet combat. Trying to control an edged weapon is a last ditch effort. While you're trying to control the weapon the other guy is also doing something. I've seen so many knife defense disarm techniques that are useless in the real world. There are only a few simple ways to deal with a knife that require no special training.
    I normally don't go there but I'm adamant about this.
    Anyone who says anything different hasn't been in a real knife fight. PERIOD!!
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    Why is this topic considered as WC subject?

VT specializes in Knife fighting . one large blade in each hand . And tactics for fighting that include tactical stabbing, chopping arms, defensive actions that offer the 'edge' as blocking surface. ....

OMT We got official permission to use that logo. Instead of the Eagle Globe an Anchor (air, land, and sea).
    We used a Buzzard standing on an 8 ball with an entrenching tool (shovel) through the middle.
    The Buzzard is watching while we get the enemy behind 8 ball and bury them.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Why is this topic considered as WC subject?
    Because there is knife fighting in Wing Chun. Have you ever trained the WC knives?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

here is an image your arm can look like ..
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    here is an image your arm can look like ..
    OK you win.....
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Because there is knife fighting in Wing Chun. Have you ever trained the WC knives?
    Knife fight exists in all TCMA system. Yes, I train WC too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLzVx...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GAUSyyDBmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZliY...eature=related
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-29-2011 at 06:18 PM.

I hate to go there, but are you serious with the clips ? the last one is a staged dance...

check this one out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_xH-yMPsA
    Last edited by k gledhill; 04-29-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    the last one is a staged dance...
    The last one is a wrong pick and that's for sure. My point is there is no need to discuss "knife fighting" just within the WC group. It may be more fun to discuss this in the TCMA group instead.

All weapon training should not have any style boundary.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-29-2011 at 06:44 PM.

That gruesome image above is the result of 'wetting' slang for an injury given for damage 'mars bar' = scar, not death.
    Guys will jump on you and wet you in several places for the kicks, then go have a beer after....been there, not a good place to be. Knives are big in the UK. Some guys will put two exacto blades into a handle so when they cut you it leaves a cut that cant be stitched normally because the cuts are parrallel lines =.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The last one is a wrong pick and that's for sure. My point is there is no need to discuss "knife fighting" just within the WC group. It may be more fun to discuss this in the TCMA group instead.

All weapon training should not have any style boundary.
    made me laugh so its okay with me

Agreed, knives are universal in MA . We [vt] also shoot well with triangulation, facing etc...