Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: offering a limb to survive a knife attack

If I'm carrying a knife and someone offers me an arm, I'd say "hey, thanks."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjGtcBPr8c
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    If I'm carrying a knife and someone offers me an arm, I'd say "hey, thanks."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgjGtcBPr8c
    It'd be way better than getting stabbed in the torso where your vital organs are.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-02-2011 at 04:17 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Razor in mouth

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

This thread turned out good

Ive got to agree with the folk saying give up the arm to save the important stuff.

Its only an arm and most of us have two anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    It'd be way better than getting stabbed in the torso where your vital organs are.
    Yes, I see your point. But one still has to stop the attacker from continuing his attack. He is not going to stop with one cut.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Excellent! Seen this before but it was removed a while back. Thanks Phil. My assistant's sister routinely carry one in her mouth. One of my friends manages security in Darling Harbour Sydney and he has a lot of interesting stories too.

As I always say, the attacker will not pick on you unless he knows he has an advantage over the victim. One has to be prepared for "surprises".

Reality check for anyone who claims their art is good for using on the streets.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

I concur re seizing the weapon and not offerring a limb.

Interesting reading for anyone who hasn't heard of CQB - CQC.

http://www.toddgroup.com/close_combat_articles.html

Half way down the page, dagger disarming 1 and 2.
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post

Thanks, nice articles.

Confrontations are ruled by chaos, adrenalin and probability. Techniques fail; the more complex it is, the more chances it will break down.

The only things that one can count on are habits, condition of the body, and mindset.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Those pics are in no way what I meant. In fact, they are ridiculous. Hench the Xs on the photos.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-05-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Those pics are in no way what I meant. In fact, they are ridiculous. Hench the Xs on the photos.
    Totally agree. In no way was my comment linked to you Phil.

The article addresses a CQB approach to Dagger disarming and begins by discussing poor solutions, hence the crosses over the photos....

Read on my friend

Thats not VT

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

I wouldn't do it but if I was going to be cut I would try to only be cut on the back of the arm. Either way getting cut isn't good. I was cut by accident awhile back I was stabbed through the wrist but more towards the hand and although I bled a lot I quickly grabbed paper towels and put pressure on the wound. It took maybe 30 minutes to get stitched up and what not I felt ok for most of that time but I was setting down with my arm raised above my heart and wasn't moving around. I would say after a couple of minutes fighting you would feel like crap or be dead. I keep away if I can and keep my arms close but my hands up. You have to keep moving and wait for the right time. If they rush you grab them by the arm preferably as close to the weapon as possible and don't let go. We use a bit of Jujitsu for our knife defense. I don't know that Wing Chun has any real major techniques geared towards this most of what I see is Jujitsu style techniques. I use a few Wing Chun blocks combined with a grab from my free hand normally.

The easiest way to not get cut in the arms is to not offer them up, this is where normal H2H habbits can be bad for you. If you can make space between you and your opponent you should always have your hands close/r to the body.

Note in all the pics within the link i provided the hands are close to the body making the offender focus on cutting the body and even when you then run your techs to defend - as the offender commits to a body attack, an arm is still protecting the vital orgnas by covering the body and turning side on.

This is just one approach there are many, each to thier own. But whatever your method you need some simple techs that can be learnt easily and used against many different types of attacks.

The techs in my example can be used against overhead stabs, thrusts, slashes, in tight spaces or open areas.

Thats not VT

Hello,

With all due respect anyone who has ever been in a real knife encounter will most likely be the first to admit that when you face a knife you will be cut. Sorry, to disagree or burst anyones bubble, but the reality of things is that when one, or both have a blade, getting cut is to be expected. Having said that, the concept of offering a limb is to minimze where one gets cut as much as possible and to minimize the damage. Also, when a limb is offered, the idea is to take a small cut in order to allow you to get a killing or more serious cut/stab/thrust to the opponent.

All of the techniques showing the controlling of the knife hand are mostly unrealistic and will result in getting cut by any competent knife fighter. Someone who knows how to use a knife will not be presenting single attacks but will have a constant flow and move the knife constantly in unpredictable patterns. Or, they will hide the blade until they attack and you won't even know the knife is there until you have been cut.

Try playing around with magic markers and try to write/mark/cut your opponent with the tip. See just how well you can avoid getting marked and then try it again with the idea of taking a cut on the outside of the arm or less vital area in order to allow you to get a fatal or incapacitating blow in. Come back and post here with your experience and the results.

The goal is to not get cut. The reality is that in almost all cases you will get cut. You should prepare yourself mentally as well as physically to accept you will be injured and determine to carry on no matter what.

That is my opinion for what it is worth.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    All of the techniques showing the controlling of the knife hand are mostly unrealistic and will result in getting cut by any competent knife fighter. Someone who knows how to use a knife will not be presenting single attacks but will have a constant flow and move the knife constantly in unpredictable patterns..
    No bubble to burst Dave, comments welcome.

I dont disagree per say with your comment/s, only to say that you are only looking a still images and that these are techniques employed by individuals with more real life experience than the majority of the members of this forum combined.
    They are far from unrealistic in reality but i can totally understand how one comes to this mindset just looking at stills.

You raise good points that ARE addressed when actually learning the techs in person. The methods address repeatitive and constant flow attacks. You just cant address every senario with still images.

I think we can agree that in those situations just as in H2H fighting you have to choose a moment to work your defence and that is in part what you see in the link. Moreover -

The way you/we write a situation/s of addressing a knife fighter basically puts forward the idea " that you are basically f--ked "
    and whilst that maybe true in most cases and for most unarmed people "YOU WILL GET CUT". One still has to form a method of dealing with protecting yourself however difficult it maybe.

The goal is to not get cut. The reality is that in almost all cases you will get cut. You should prepare yourself mentally as well as physically to accept you will be injured and determine to carry on no matter what.
    Totally agree, and one step towards this is isolated training with a real knife, as well as other methods such as your idea about training with a marker.

So what methods do you advocate for dealing with a trained knife fighter Dave ?

Thats not VT

So what methods do you advocate for dealing with a trained knife fighter Dave ?
    I shoot them, preferably from a distance and more than once
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space