Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: offering a limb to survive a knife attack

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    I hate to go there, but are you serious with the clips ? the last one is a staged dance...

check this one out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_xH-yMPsA
    I have a pair of those. They can penetrate a car door.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The last one is a wrong pick and that's for sure. My point is there is no need to discuss "knife fighting" just within the WC group. It may be more fun to discuss this in the TCMA group instead.

All weapon training should not have any style boundary.
    This is a WC forum so why not discuss knives on a WC forum since WC has knives?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

I searched for a WC knife thread and couldn't find one. So I could start one or we could continue here...hmmm
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I have a pair of those. They can penetrate a car door.
    hope he gave up the parking spot after ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I searched for a WC knife thread and couldn't find one. So I could start one or we could continue here...hmmm
    This is fine. I didn't know that your intention was for WC knife only.

A friend of mine used his hand to grab a smurai sword in Taiwan. His hand was cut badly. Because his courage, he became the leader of his gang group.

Nice clip, even without PB in it.

Just about everyone I know who has trained WC with really sharp swords has cut themselves, including severing finger tendons.

I've stuck with blunt ones for training, especially since if I ever pulled sharp ones on anyone for real I'd probably go to jail. Not many guys packing 9' poles in the street around here.

I've got a couple of Cold Steel folders. Nicely made.
    Last edited by anerlich; 04-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

here is an image your arm can look like ..
    Done with a Samurai sword. From memory, he was a U.S Police officer that was trained in TMA and thought that his MA background could take on a criminal with wielding the sword.

Google 'knife wounds' click images at the top of the menu, they are pretty gruesome so I'm not loading up evisceration images here, you might lose your lunch on the keyboard.
    VT knife attacks can deliver eviscerating abdominal wounds while parrying the arm . Its hard to fight back when your tripping over your own intestines.

Google 'knife wounds' click images at the top of the menu, they are pretty gruesome so I'm not loading up evisceration images here, you might lose your lunch on the keyboard.
    VT knife attacks can deliver eviscerating abdominal wounds while parrying the arm . Its hard to fight back when your tripping over your own intestines.
    Okay, lets be for real here for a second

I highly doubt that the majority of edged weapons one will encounter on the street are on par with a sword or WC Butterfly knife. Narurally one would defend against something like that a bit differently.

The most common weapon one will likely encounter on the street will have a blade of less than 4 inches. In many cases one will encounter things like a steak or paring knife, box cutter or the like. As a matter of fact, it is pretty common to find an attacker using something like a screwdriver as a weapon.

Some of those making comments have never been in a knife fight. Honestly, if you think that showing pictures of a sword or large blade attack is relevant than I should post photos of gunshot or artillery damage. Or perhaps I should point out that if I use a Kwan Do or Pudao it is not smart to block with your arm. However, against the most common and likely blade to be faced with on the street, and if not other option exists, it is far better to take a cut on the outside of the arm than, say ones face, thigh or upper arm.

One of the attacks I used to practice was to thrust or slash and hope my opponent parryed or blocked. I would then use the force from his block/parry to redirct the blade to his leg and go for a cut on the inside of the thigh or groin.

A slash has more of a physcological impact as people usually get freaked out seeing a gash with a lot of blood. A thrust often will have far less bleeding as the inury is often internal as far as bleeding goes.

There are plenty of cases where people have been shot and survived but that does not make a gun less of a threat.

The most common injuries from a bladed weapon which result in death are actually thrusts or stbbing type wounds, not slashes. Also, if you check statistics, the FBI did a study a couple of years back, the most common length of blade was less than 4 inches and most often only about 3 inches in length. Quite different than a sword or Butterfly Knife
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Agreed, when I frisked guys at a local south london nightclub we would fill a drawer with knives around 4-5" easily concealed in pockets to carry around , carpet cutters, etc...rarely a machette and less likely buttefly knives. Occasionally a guy would have a 12" steak knife and not want to let it go either, 6 guys on him trying to break his 'gorilla' grip makes you realize a lot of the gym stuff done in a nice safe environment is worth little on the streets with guys cracked up drunk etc...raging on adrenalin.
    Guys also carried screwdrivers, chisels, folding multi-tool pliers, [that's just the security team] because they were considered legal and excusable to carry tools, etc...
    Some used broken shards of glass hidden in hands as a quick fix to scar guys. One of my best friends had a semi circle of glass shoved in his face for the scarring effect alone. The term 'glassed' is from simply driving a beer glass into a guys face to break it, available in every bar around the world, who needs a knife when you have a weapon in your hand full of beer.
    Knife fights sounds like 'west side story' face offs too, it should be more like fights with knives involved.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

yeh had one mate lose his eye and the other slashed in the face with the same glass. he smashed it in the first guys face putting a shard in his eye ball. then with the brocken glass he put two big slashes in the other guys face with both sides of the broken glass.
    But sihing73 is right with the satistics we did all that in arnis and my teacher taught a uni class on violence. So he did lots of research

Quote Originally Posted by Saboi Osmosis View Post
    Have you heard of this before?

someone flashes/waggles a knife towards to and you kind of throw out your arm in an attempt to draw the knife guy towards that limb
    Probably not a valid knife defense vs a trained knife wielder. A trained knife fighter will use gunting to attack the arm once or twice and then slip into your torso or face faster than you can say Jack Robinson. Filipino martial arts do use knife work including disarms.

I thought you guys meant more like, if its going for your throat better try take it in the hand. I have done this, it was a box cutter when I was young. He went to stab and not out of any training I put my hand up and it jammed in my finger. Better then neck.
    But when learning knife stuff I was always taught to keep the other hand back, arnis its on the chest, when using one weapon. Dont like the idea of baiting him with it but.
    But once saw outside of a pub a guy pull a knife on this guy that did TKD. he tried to kick the knife out of his and but the guy just slashed his foot stright through the shoes. Heaps of blood.

When I first started VT training i asked my old sifu 'what if a guy pulls a knife ?' . His first words where dont take youre eyes off the knife. Then he picked up a Bic pen and asked me to block the pen as he held it towards me, he inked my arm, then kick him, he inked my leg....
    I work with wood , carving, shaping, by hand and always wear a safety glove if using any thing that can come at my hand, metal always beats flesh.

When I was 6 years old a group of local teengers in my neighborhood threw a glass bottle at me, it broke on the ground a foot away from me, I didnt know what they where doing so didnt move, being the tropics I never wore shoes either, a large piece stuck into my ankle and it gushed blood....6 yrs old still have the scar.

I once asked a guy who trains the Australian Federal Police how to deal with knives. His reply was to get out of range and use the gun.

So I asked him what if you don't have a gun. His reply was "you're f**ked."
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"