Thread: Which sport is safter - SC or Judo?

Blog Entries

Which sport is safter - SC or Judo?

By comparing the following clips which sport do you think is safter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZouSsrTGNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDygo-acO4

I am not sure what you are trying to say BUT

These two clips are very different levels. One is "regional" and I would dare say pretty beginner

The other is international and advanced
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    Both follow their rule set. Most of the sport injuy happened because one person's body drops on top of the other person's body. The less that you have body drops on body, the safer the rule set that you will have.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Both follow their rule set. Most of the sport injuy happened because one person's body drops on top of the other person's body. The less that you have body drops on body, the safer the rule set that you will have.
    If Shuai Jiao had more competitive levels, you'd see people falling with the throws. Sorry, but Shaui Jiao is under developed. You see a guy with skill and he kills 10,000 of the regular students.

Neither is "safe", if you want to be safe stay home and play with yourself

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

we may try to make all the game plays safer

but accidents or "unexpected" incidents do happen and quite often actually.

--

the chest protector was unwieldy in wu lin da hui

and no head shot

these are 2 main safey concerns in PR China, right now

--

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    If Shuai Jiao had more competitive levels, you'd see people falling with the throws. Sorry, but Shaui Jiao is under developed. You see a guy with skill and he kills 10,000 of the regular students.

Yeah! But then you'll go blind.....how is THAT safe?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    on a side note,
    which is better-shuai jiao tuck/fall, or judo slap fall
    I have studied both (Hapkido,Jiu-Jutsu, Shuai Jiao)
    The judo guys ay theirs, the shuai jiao guys sat theirs.
    I have fallen almost completely upside-down, (axe kick, supporting foot came right out from under me) and if I hadn't slapped, I would've surely been paralysed from the neck down.
    Point for ukemi.
    I was hunting, tripped over a root, downhill, and did a shuai jiao fall while holding my rifle. I was fine. (felt like a complete tool, luckily, I was alone in the woods.)
    point for shuai jiao fall.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Sorry Ross, but I laughed so hard, I had to make that my sig.
    "Neither is "safe", if you want to be safe stay home and play with yourself" -lkfmdc

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Yeah! But then you'll go blind.....how is THAT safe?
    Master Po was no push over.

I've read Robert Smith (very) unfavourably comparing SC to Judo, but then I've heard he also had a personal stake in this because CTS wasn't happy about him learning from CMC.
    I have no idea how far in between these two point the truth lies, but I'd be interested to know how they both (the arts, not the teachers) compare to each other from someone experienced in both.

I have a brown belt in judo (although that was many many years ago now) and I have no experience at all with SC. I know I got more damaged in judo than in anything else I've ever been involved with, but a lot of that was also largely due to me not being very good.
    Even breakfalling correctly (which you don't really want to do too often in competition for fear of losing points) - over the years it'll take a toll on the body. SC - seems like it would as well from what i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

I've read Robert Smith (very) unfavourably comparing SC to Judo, but then I've heard he also had a personal stake in this because CTS wasn't happy about him learning from CMC.

Robert Smith is a dirt bag. He got upset he was kicked out of the Shuai Jiao school and wrote meaningless drivel about it every since.

Among the things that he said were

1) admitted he broke his arm falling and doing a judo style breakfall, but claimed he would have been hurt worse doing the shuai jiao style? Yeah, uh, you BROKER YOUR ARM doing the judo one....

2) Claimed that Shuai Jiao has no "o soto gari" and "diagonal cutting" is the second thing taught and is a version of O Soto!

3) Talked about how skilled he was but when asked to randori with one of Chang's real guys declined and left the building

Thanks Dave - was hoping you'd chime in.