Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shotokan

JWTAYLOR Guest
    BTW, it sounds like your problem is with your instructor and his business practices, not with American Kenpo itself. Who is your instructor? I didn't know there was anyone teaching AK in El Paso.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

don bohrer Guest
    JWT,
    Your right my issue is not with American Kenpo as a martial art. The system is organized well and is structured for learning. Kenpo is beuatiful to practice and watch. We have Four schools in the area. One of those is in Jaurez. They differ slightly on kata, and techniques from El Pasa but are tough fighters. Almost time for class. Be cool.

Budokan Guest
    I switched because I moved from Shreveport (where I had taken isshin-ryu). I wanted to stay in the JMA so decided to take shotokan. I really like shotokan, but have to admit there's a soft spot in my heart for my old isshin-ryu classes.

K. Mark Hoover

Daedalus Guest

Shotokan & Isshinryu

Shotokan and Isshinryu do have many differences, but their simularities are far greater in my opinion.

They use different kata. Yes, but the techniques within the kata are the same.

Isshinryu uses vertical punches primarily. Yes, but the method of generating power is the same as with reverse punching.

When I use the term "generic", I am making a very broad statement about the skill base.

For example: In my opinion, if a practitioner truly earns the rank of black belt in Shotokan, it will not be difficult for him to earn one in Isshinryu. Pretty much all he would need to do would be to learn the kata, lineage, history, and customs. He already has the skills.

However, his karate skills are a bit ****her removed from kung fu or jujitsu skills.

To me, most styles are generic. Isshinryu is generic when put along side Shotokan, ****o-ryu, Wado-ryu, Shorin-ryu, American karate, etc.

Dark Knight Guest
    "For example: In my opinion, if a practitioner truly earns the rank of black belt in Shotokan, it will not be difficult for him to earn one in Isshinryu. Pretty much all he would need to do would be to learn the kata, lineage, history, and customs. He already has the skills."

Its true, I have black belts in a couple systems. They have different approaches, but basics are basics. Some are more fluid than others or specialize a certain area, but basically the same.

don bohrer Guest

Thanks guys

Thank you for all the replies. I will consider everyones advice and continue training in American Kenpo for now. Someone once said the time to quit is not when your at the bottom of the doodoo pile but when your on top and feeling good about yourself. Now if I were only wearing my boots!

eviljungle Guest

My Shotokan Experience.

I was in Shotokan for about a year. Here's what I learned.

Shotokan was a mid to long range style as it was taught to me. Being 5'3 made the system pretty difficult. Lots of really high kicks were stressed, which again put me at a disadvantage. This was my first martial art, so I didn't have any concept of any other techniques other than the same ones being taught to the 6 footers, which as usual were very long range or incorporated high kicks (arguably one of the worst combat techniques).

The good that came of my experience is that Shotokan is EXCELLENT for learning how to maximise power. Stance training is excellent also.

JuJitsu was taught along with Shotokan. Jujitsu is a beautiful system for self defense.

My experience may not be the same as others, I'm just sharing how I felt about the art.

:)

Budokan Guest
    High-kicks in shotokan? Maybe in some of the higher level katas, sure, but not in the basic techniques, not at all. Nor are they stressed as important requirements to the style.

Sounds like you were in a dojo (read: instructor) that didn't know how to teach fundamental shotokan. Or someplace that was giving you a fusion of styles and they just called it "shotokan" for marketing purposes...?

K. Mark Hoover

eviljungle Guest
    Budokan that is very probable. :D