Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm/Body Dit da jows

Iron Palm/Body Dit da jows

I have recently started to train (through my karate) some of the makiwara training and forearm conditioning.

My question is, do you need seperate jows for each of those activities or can you use one type of jow? I have read that you can use the same jow for makiwara training as you do iron palm and some companies sell a jow that is for both of those. Other companies say that you can't use their jow for iron body training, but only iron palm.

New to using jows and would like some input.

Thanks
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

my opinion, you can probably use a regular iron hand die da jui/dit da jow for your conditioning. though, i don't quite know why you would wanna put your fists through makiwara training.

just dont apply to severely broken or open cuts. apply before and after. massage well and towards the heart.

and, just gotta say, try to get into a softer method that will not brutalize your fists as much. that will come back to haunt you later.

Thanks, but when makiwara training is done correctly it will not harm the hands. Granted smashing them over and over into an immovable object will harm them.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

You can use an Iron Palm dit da jow for your fist training as well as your forearm training. The herbs are designed for bone hardening and conditioning.

What you do not want to use is an injury formula for hand training. That is what most people who make and sell liniments will tell you.

Injury Dit Da Jow medicine is not as strong as Iron Palm Dit Da Jow and has different herbs in it for different reasons.

People that tell you, you can use one formula on everything and anything are not in the know, and can cause serious injury.

Please be careful if you buy herbs from people who are unlicensed, untrained and who do not have a professional degree from an accredited Acupuncture/Herbal Medicine graduate program.

Let me know how I can be of assistance. I am getting my Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM) in August from New England School of Acupuncture.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 05-03-2011 at 05:03 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Dale,

Check your PM.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    You can use an Iron Palm dit da jow for your fist training as well as your forearm training. The herbs are designed for bone hardening and conditioning.

What you do not want to use is an injury formula for hand training. That is what most people who make and sell liniments will tell you.

Injury Dit Da Jow medicine is not as strong as Iron Palm Dit Da Jow and has different herbs in it for different reasons.

People that tell you, you can use one formula on everything and anything are not in the know, and can cause serious injury.

Please be careful if you buy herbs from people who are unlicensed, untrained and who do not have a professional degree from an accredited Acupuncture/Herbal Medicine graduate program.

Let me know how I can be of assistance. I am getting my Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (MAOM) in August from New England School of Acupuncture.
    So could you use the Chan Ning Tong for the forearm conditioning as well?

You could use it, buts it is not designed for that.

Arm conditioning will cause more pain than Iron Palm training as you hit the arms harder and for longer periods of time than most people will hit a bag for Iron Palm training.

You want a medicine that has more pain killers and blood movers than Iron Palm medicine which will have more channel opening herbs and bone hardening herbs in it.

I have a formula that people swear by for injuries and it works great for arm and shin conditioning.

Let me know if you are interested.

That is why there are so many formulas out there for training and conditioning.

Using the Chan Ning Tong formula is okay for hand and arm conditioning but would not be suitable for body or leg conditioning.

There are herbs that go down and herbs that move up with their energies.

Hence you can customize your formulas to go where you want them to go.

Dale's stuff is top notch, I have used it for years and never had an issue with my Iron Hand training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks for the kind words, brother.

Truth is truth dude
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have used Dale's Stone Dragon for my hands before, but never really did any type of forearm conditioning. That was why I wondered if you needed two jows or just one.

It seems that alot of people sell one for both and I was wondering why.

Preference comes into play as well here:

As examples, while the Chan Ning Tong is quite popular for iron palm, I dont really like it for conditioning the hands or arms. Its just not what I prefer. On the same train of thought, some people dont really care about putting pain-killing herbs in their conditioning jows as there are more root issues to deal with--if pain is something that you cant handle well, then of course pain-killing herbs become more important. Lots of formulas out there with a multitude of variations on design philosophy...Thats why its never a bad idea to try a few different things and see what suits your needs best.

However, I wouild certainly agree that forearm-based formulas tend to be proportionally higher in Blood invigorators and lower in the Wind-Damp and channel opening herbs that are so necessary when dealing with all the small and fragiles bones and joints of the hand and wrist...

spot on as always Josh.

That is why there are so many formulations and you need to find one that works for you.

what works for some does nothing for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    I have used Dale's Stone Dragon for my hands before, but never really did any type of forearm conditioning. That was why I wondered if you needed two jows or just one.

It seems that alot of people sell one for both and I was wondering why.
    As mentioned above, you can use it but it might not work for you if you cause lots of swelling and pain with your arm pounding.

I have friends who use my Tiger Exits for all conditioning programs with great success.