Thread: has anyone ever heard of kuk sool won?

has anyone ever heard of kuk sool won?

I was at the Mong festival of the dragon over the weekend. At the Festival 15 people (1 master 14 students) hosted a Kuk sool won demonstration. kuk sool won seemed like a mixture of judo and long fist kung fu. Though alot of the videos i have watched on youtube has a ephisis on weapons, Does anyone Know anything about Kuk sool won?

Here is the 2005 highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox10IU23obU

Kuk Sul Won is a Korean art that essentially is Hapkido with forms, if you can understand that. It claims that the founder's grandfather was head of the royal guards prior to the Japanese invasion, which may or may not be true, but essentially it's a postwar amalgum of Hapkido and older Korean influences.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    it branched off from Hapkido-which was only created in the fifties. It is mainly Korean Hapkido with flashier forms and chinese weapons.-which they claim of Korean origin.
    Before In Hyuk Suh came out in the seventies, no one had ever heard of it, just as no one had ever heard of HwaRang Do before Joo Bang Lee and Joo Sang Lee.

Kuk Sool Won also puts emphasis on animal forms.
    Figure Eight

What has been posted is true.... Hwarangdo, Kuk Sul Won, Yu Sool, etc are all variants and branch off s from Hapkido....

Korean arts tend to be very incestuous....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    What has been posted is true.... Hwarangdo, Kuk Sul Won, Yu Sool, etc are all variants and branch off s from Hapkido....

Korean arts tend to be very incestuous....

Much like west virginians.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Oooh! That's gotta hurt!

-David

That's the pot calling the kettle black for CMA to KMA...

...not that lkfmdc is black.

Kuk Sool means 'national skill', similar to our CMA's term Guoshu (national art). Won denotes the organization that governs it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

actually Gene, I think my statement stands

Hung Ga doesn't have as much cross over with Choy Lay Fut as say all the Hapkido and off shoots....

Hung ga doesn't cross personalitis with Hsing Yi or Tai Chi, etc

In Korea, you have basicly two groups, the Kwans that became Taekwondo with the one exception of the Moo duk Kwan faction that broke off to form Tang Soo Do (now there is TKD Moo Duk Kwan and TSD Moo Duk Kwan) and yo uhave all the Hapkido off shoots

much less diversity

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

There is Chinese kung fu in Korea that has not been cross-pollinated with the homegrown Korean arts. However, some TKD schools do teach the Chinese forms in their curriculums. Xiao Hu Yan Chuan seems to be a popular one.

I hear ya, lkfmdc...

...I just wanted to reiterate your melanin count.

CMA is all about diversity. We used to publish a Korean only mag, Dojang, but it pretty much ran its course in eight issues. After that, most of the history goes back to China. After nearly a decade and a half of Kung Fu Tai Chi, I don't think we've even begun to scratch the surface.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have (among other things) a second dan in Hapkido, though as my instructor was more known for his Moo Duk Kwan (direct student of Hwang Kee, but went TKD instead) I sought out more info on what I wanted to know was "real Hapkido" Alogn the way (and with a Korean wife by the way) I can't tell you how much old articles and stuff with ALL the kuk sool won, hwarangdo, etc guys as "hapkido guys' that I found!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I just wanted to reiterate your melanin count.

CMA is all about diversity. We used to publish a Korean only mag, Dojang, but it pretty much ran its course in eight issues.
    No wonder it ran its course in 8 issues, its freaking loud, I could hear it kihop from the link
    Bless you

Don't forget Soo Bahk Do the original Tang Soo Do (Hwang Kee lineage). What was your Instructor's name, lkfmdc. Do you know of Master Ah Po?
    Last edited by Chum Kil; 11-17-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.