Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What level is your Wing Chun at?

First you have to assume the people "teaching" you are better than you to accept their criticisms. Second you have to want to get better and want to learn or if you just practice the stuff one person passes on you will only have a body of select movements, not knowledge.

My level of wing chun is where it is. no higher. no lower. No one can tell me different. It is mine. Do I feel proficient in my wing chun. no. But that also does not mean I could not help someone else with theirs, given point one. The other issue with my level of wing chun is that I have a pretty different back ground when it comes to MA and that what I know and have put into my wing chun is not the same as my Sifu and what he may be looking for while comparing his wing chun to mine. I am lucky my Sifu is about the same size as me. If he was a different size than me and was criticizing my kicks yet de doesnt kick that is not really fair.

It is all about one thing YOUR wing chun.

On the same note let me ask you how you over easy egg flipping level is. or your free hand drawing.

My wing chun is where it is due to the passion and time I put into it. Does that mean it is where I want it to be. Heck no. Does it mean I am neglecting it. Heck no. Life has one priority Time. Choose what means the most and fill your day with it. but fill it with what you love or you will spend time asking others where their level of love is at.
    Knowledge is power but the willingness to always learn is Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Here's the neat thing about all of this:

I talk and get together with folks just like me: lonely souls who follow their own personal path. We compare 'notes' and my life doesn't feel so isolated anymore.

Secondly, I do still see my Sifu. Once to twice a year I get to see him. But he's on his path and I'm on mine. We've talked to great lengths about this and both respect each other in where we want to take our Wing Chun. Again, we get together, compare notes and both leave feeling like we've gained something from each other's company.
    Again, as I've said this before, it looks like we have more things in common than I first thought.

I may be lucky enough to see my Sifu a little more regular, but it sounds like we have had similar discussion as I had when I set up The Yum Yeurng Academy and Flystudio. Although I was passed the curriculum my interpretation is my own.

I do still get a little pressure to return to my teachers fold though and teach under his Jun Mo banner but I couldn't give him the time required to do a decent job for him! Maybe in the years to come...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Grilo View Post
    My level of wing chun is where it is. no higher. no lower. No one can tell me different. It is mine.
    I'm hearing that a lot, especially on here.

Thanks for posting.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

This is my Wing Chun, there are many like this... but, this one is mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr.Instigator View Post
    This is my Wing Chun, there are many like this... but, this one is mine!!
    Hmmm
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Shamelessly stolen from the movie, "Full Metal Jacket"

Aha! Nice
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Nope.

When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Nope.

Paraphrased:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093058/quotes

Recruits: [chanting] This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    lol. Still nope, plus your myopia is now amusing me.
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman's_Creed

In popular culture

The creed has been featured in many different types of popular culture offerings. Most prominently, it has been depicted in war films about the Marine Corps, including Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead, set in the Vietnam War and Gulf War respectively, and both which depict recruit training.

The creed is heard in songs by Fear Factory ("Crisis"), Combichrist ("This Is My Rifle"), Suicidal Angels ("Battlefield") and Killarmy ("Under Siege"). It has received mention in several novels, including Cryptonomicon and Old Man's War.

In the real-time strategy game StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, one of the Marine's quotes is the first line of the creed.

In 2010, Colombian artist "9000" created a piece entitled "Turing Creed", based on the Rifleman's Creed with "computer" substituted for "rifle".
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    lol. Still nope, plus your myopia is now amusing me.
    well, your one line trolls are doing a good job of amusing me.

just to directly answer your easy and polite question since most people on these forums give smart comments or just avoid any direct answers. my school has a grading system I tested and passed my level 1 rank. since then ive slacked on testing with other students so they are higher levels but i have learned siu num tao and chum kiu, lot sao drills and my footwork is starting to get decent. actually most of my progress has been through my kicks and forward motion im learning while focusing on power in each chain punch instead of punching as fast as I can which I see a lot of ppl do in person and on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Simple question really.

Do you have a grading/assessment system that explains what level your are training at and what you are aiming for?

Who assesses you?
    I can't speak for myself, but it seems that most people who post in this forum are Wing Chun grandmasters, or at least they act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Simple question really.

Do you have a grading/assessment system that explains what level your are training at and what you are aiming for?

Who assesses you?
    It's called win full-contact fights. For lower ranks just spar well in class. For an instructorship, at least one smoker.