Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why do you want to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by shawchemical View Post
    Total bull****.

If you can't, or aren't prepared to fight and to win, you can NEVER defend yourself.
    We're on complete different paths then dude

Talking from a 100% DEFENSIVE perspective, why are you fighting to win?? Think of the guy that you're DEFENDING yourself against as your own Mother. Now, are you gonna smack her up to 'win' and prove a point?

All I'm asking is that you think about the language I'm using here...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    We're on complete different paths then dude

Talking from a 100% DEFENSIVE perspective, why are you fighting to win?? Think of the guy that you're DEFENDING yourself against as your own Mother. Now, are you gonna smack her up to 'win' and prove a point?

All I'm asking is that you think about the language I'm using here...
    you got beaten up alot by you mother? what an incredible stupid analog.

If someone wants to smash my head in I dont give F... who it is, im going to do my very best for them to go down instead.

I have to say I'm with LoneTiger on this one. If you are fighting it means your self defense failed. Why do you even think about things like
    If someone wants to smash my head in I dont give F... who it is, im going to do my very best for them to go down instead.
    ? IRL most people don't have to worry about having their head smashed in. If you do it could be because you are hanging out with a bunch of idiots. Find better places to spend your time.

I train BJJ because I like to get primitive and test myself. But I am doing it in a constructive fashion.

When I trained WC the one school I went to kind of promoted the same type of nonsense you are spouting. Since switching to BJJ I find myself thinking about what I need to do to improve my rolling and class and never about what I would do if some random stranger would attack me, which I used to do before.
    Mike

I think a majority of people who train these days(in TMA) do it because of a primal human inclination toward movement. We're creatures who like to move. We're built to move.

If you want to learn real "self defense" you take a concealed handgun course and buy yourself a Glock. Yeah, i'm totally plugging Glock.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I think a majority of people who train these days(in TMA) do it because of a primal human inclination toward movement. We're creatures who like to move. We're built to move.

If you want to learn real "self defense" you take a concealed handgun course and buy yourself a Glock. Yeah, i'm totally plugging Glock.
    I've had the pleasure to shoot a glock and a sig and an Hk and I must say I like the glock feel.
    But I do like the Sig's stopping power and the HK is awesome but I find it too big for me.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Talking from a 100% DEFENSIVE perspective, why are you fighting to win? ...
    I don't like the defense fighting for the following reasons:

1. If I let my opponent to make his 1st move, I may fall into his trap. There are just too many unknown factor there. I like to make the 1st attack and lead the fight into an area that I may be more familiar than my oponent does. That will be my advantage.

2. Old Chinese saying said, "If you are kind to your enemy, you are cruel to yourself". If you can put your opponent in 100% defense mode, there will be less chance that your opponent has luxury to hit you.

3. Old Chinese saying also said, "When you fight, you act like tiger. When you are not, you act like a sheep". We all want to develop "tiger" spirit and eat our opponent alive. But we only apply that spirit in combat and not in our daily life.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-20-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post

CZ 75 ; ) combat weapon. if you accidentally hit the mag release it doesnt drop out , you have to pull it out. 17 rounds 16 in the clip. I used it in many competitions.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-19-2011 at 03:09 PM.

It's been about a year or more now but my last girlfriend asked me to go with her to get a friend. I went but didn't know what was going on. Her and her common law husband were arguing. I soon found out he is an abusive A hole. We got there and she was trying to leave but he wouldn't let her take one of the kids. My ex grabbed one kid and went out to my car. While she was out he had backed his wife into another room and she was unable to leave. They didn't want me to get the cops involved and I really didn't either so I didn't. He was saying that if she wanted to go she could but she couldn't take the kid she was holding. He repeatedly said he would hit her if she tried to leave. I am told he was high on something but I really don't know. I opened my mouth and said if he hit her I would get involved. He flew into a rage and before I could do anything he rushed me throwing me through the screen door of his house. I rolled backwards off their porch came up as he walked out of his house and then we got into it. It wasn't the most impressive fight I have ever been in but I walked away with everyone and a few bruises. I was told later that I fractured his cheek and a rib or something. His wife went back to him the next day. The cops told me he has beat her before.

I try to stay out of fights as much as I can I try to walk away. But it's not always possible to. Thats the first fight I have been in for a long time. I really don't know that calling the cops would have been that good of a deal but I told my ex next time this happens were going to. You can't always walk away or run from a situation if that were the case I would take up track instead of martial arts. I do Kung Fu and I have a CCW permit to protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    I have to say I'm with LoneTiger on this one. If you are fighting it means your self defense failed. Why do you even think about things like ? IRL most people don't have to worry about having their head smashed in. If you do it could be because you are hanging out with a bunch of idiots. Find better places to spend your time.

I train BJJ because I like to get primitive and test myself. But I am doing it in a constructive fashion.

When I trained WC the one school I went to kind of promoted the same type of nonsense you are spouting. Since switching to BJJ I find myself thinking about what I need to do to improve my rolling and class and never about what I would do if some random stranger would attack me, which I used to do before.
    were talking about fighting here. that either means someone has attacked you or your in a volunteer fighting match. your really going to picture that other guy as your mother then? really ?

oh and as for me hanging out the wrong places. I dont usually, but life not always fair and rosy

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    were talking about fighting here. that either means someone has attacked you or your in a volunteer fighting match. your really going to picture that other guy as your mother then? really ?

oh and as for me hanging out the wrong places. I dont usually, but life not always fair and rosy
    I don't drink and a few friends got me to go with them to a local club. It wasn't anything I care to do again really it's crowded, noisy and there are lots of College guys around. I could see being in a crowded place with people drinking and unable to talk without yelling getting into a fight real quick. **** happens I normally avoid such things. One of my Sifus was at a concert awhile back and some guy came pushing through the crowd. He is in his late 40s I believe and only about 5' 5" maybe. This guy ran in to him and kept trying to push him out of the way. LT got the guy by the elbow and told him to cool it. From what I hear the guy was a bit shocked that he was able to take control of him so easily. In cases like this you may have to use your skills.

The first step in self defense is to know your surroundings be observant so you can avoid unnecessary situations. I work for the local telegram the most dangerous time for me is if I am doing a down route on a Saturday morning. I am usually out at 3am or so and there are some odd people out. If I see someone I will usually cross the street if I feel it's dangerous. The next would be to try and talk your way out of a situation. If your attacked you probably wont get the chance. For me self defense is either neutralizing a threat after the attack was made or defending yourself long enough to get away without serious injury. In some cases you may not be fighting for yourself. I came around to a street one day and a bunch of kids were arguing it was 4 on 1. A few had sticks and I think a girl had a kitchen knife and the 4 were yelling at some other guy. I was getting ready to call the cops and thinking about what I would do if they went after him but they all walked away and the cops came shortly after.

I need to train Dishu Quan I am mainly attacked by dogs.