Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you want to fight?

Hybrid View

Why do you want to fight?

I know this may be a boring subject to most who post here, but I thought I would ask why so many of you feel like fighting is the goal of your Wing Chun training?

Whether it's street fighting or competitive fighting, why do you want to take Wing Chun into that domain in the first place? Who told you that fighting others (and your own family!) is what training Wing Chun is about? How much do you get charged to learn how to beat your brothers and sisters?

And I have to end by asking if you would teach your own children the same?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Because Wing Chun is a martial art and not a martial dance.

Even if you 'only' train for self defence you need to know that what you practice will stand up to pressure. How will you know it really works if you don't test drive it?

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Because Wing Chun is a martial art and not a martial dance.

Even if you 'only' train for self defence you need to know that what you practice will stand up to pressure. How will you know it really works if you don't test drive it?
    I understand that you relate 'art and dance' as polar opposites???? Hmmm...

As for this 'pressure testing' malarky, this is why I ask!! What pressure test!?

So you feel that you need to test your Wing Chun in a competition with rules? What for exactly? And why learn Wing Chun to do that when there are so many other arts out there these days that ONLY do the competitive thing?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I understand that you relate 'art and dance' as polar opposites???? Hmmm...

As for this 'pressure testing' malarky, this is why I ask!! What pressure test!?

So you feel that you need to test your Wing Chun in a competition with rules? What for exactly? And why learn Wing Chun to do that when there are so many other arts out there these days that ONLY do the competitive thing?
    You could just drop the 'martial' from 'martial dance'. It wouldn't change the nature of the dance.

Ultimately, one should test one's skills in competition. That is what the rooftop fights in HK were.

What do you think Wing Chun is all about then?

And why learn Wing Chun to do that when there are so many other arts out there these days
    QFT!

Thanks Tigger for an honest post.

And, if you don't understand the need to compete with your martial art you probably never will.
    Mike

So, why was WC developed?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Ultimately, one should test one's skills in competition. That is what the rooftop fights in HK were.
    A bit of a laughable comment considering the nature (and basic standard) of the people who fought. That was all 'playfighting'. Gangster banter and bragging. Nothing to do with learning Martial Arts imo and something I wouldn't expose a student to, like ever!

Quote Originally Posted by M1k3 View Post
    And, if you don't understand the need to compete with your martial art you probably never will.
    Did I say I didn't understand? No. I'm simply asking why you want to fight? And FWIW there is no 'need' for fighting competitions in Wing Chun at all. Fighting in cages and rings and leitais or whatever is already out there, and flourishing. What I'm interested in is understanding why you want to be a 'part of a trend' that I find a little barbaric?

What do you think Wing Chun is all about then?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    So, why was WC developed?
    Listen, my opinions are shat-on daily in this forum. You guys seem intelligent enough to come up with something far better than 'fighting', surely?

Does anyone care about Martial Culture? Language? PEACEFUL training??

Or do we all just want to fight???
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

WC, like every other Martial art, was developed to fight with.
    The creator, developer, 1st generation master(s) and practioners ALL used it to fight with.
    That is why in WC, we learn how to, wait for it.....FIGHT !!!
    Freaky eh?
    Can WC be useful for others things? sure.
    Cars were developed to drive people from A to B, but they can be used for other crap too.
    Of course you are NOT using it for what it was intended to, but hey, it's a free world, supposedly.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I know this may be a boring subject to most who post here, but I thought I would ask why so many of you feel like fighting is the goal of your Wing Chun training?

Whether it's street fighting or competitive fighting, why do you want to take Wing Chun into that domain in the first place? Who told you that fighting others (and your own family!) is what training Wing Chun is about? How much do you get charged to learn how to beat your brothers and sisters?

And I have to end by asking if you would teach your own children the same?
    So what is the goal of your wing chun? Seriously why are you training a martial art what do you hope to get out of it?

Because if its fitness, strength, longevity, flexibility meditation etc there are better ways to go about it that martial arts, ways specifically designed with that express purpose in mind

PS anyone else notice the distinct lack of response by the wing chun peeps on this board

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    PS anyone else notice the distinct lack of response by the wing chun peeps on this board
    Maybe because the discussion is a waste of time?

Of course is fighting the primary goal of a martial art. Benefits like physical fitness, stress relieve, etc. are simply byproducts and can also be achieved by a wide range of other activities. The motivation for training a martial art varies from one person to another, but the goal is typically to learn to defend themselves, to learn how to fight.

Walking around in a pajama, smoking incense, talking New Age non-sense, and not being able to fight is not Ving Tsun! Ving Tsun is a great Chinese boxing method, and it's a shame when it's watered down losing its focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Of course is fighting the primary goal of a martial art. Benefits like physical fitness, stress relieve, etc. are simply byproducts and can also be achieved by a wide range of other activities. The motivation for training a martial art varies from one person to another, but the goal is typically to learn to defend themselves, to learn how to fight.
    Agreed to a point, but I'm asking why YOU want to fight?? When there are other skillsets to train that develop this ability.

And FWIW I think self defense and fighting ARE polar opposites. There is nothing in my self defence manual that justifies maiming or seriously injuring my attacker. A simple running technique normally works!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Agreed to a point, but I'm asking why YOU want to fight?? When there are other skillsets to train that develop this ability.

And FWIW I think self defense and fighting ARE polar opposites. There is nothing in my self defence manual that justifies maiming or seriously injuring my attacker. A simple running technique normally works!!
    Point 2 first. I agree, self defense and fighting are polar opposites. Fighting is what happens when you self defense fails.

As for the maiming or seriously injuring your attacker, what makes you think you have the skills and ability to maim someone? That is hubris and is usually the sign of a person who doesn't fight/spar/roll as a part of their training. Humility is a major by product of competitive training because you learn how easy it is to lose. Your maiming skills are just a part of your imagination.

I want to fight and train to fight for a bunch of reasons.

That is why I train an art that allows me to roll and compete with effective techniques that can be applied safely to my opponent / training partner.

I roll because it is very satisfying win or lose.
    I roll because in today's society it's good to have a place where you can test yourself physically against partners of different skill levels.
    I roll because its fun and I roll because it helps keep the demons at bay.

People are the products of millions of years of evolution and just because we consider ourselves civilized it doesn't mean those primitive urges don't exist. Rolling gives me a way to satisfy those urges in a safe environment with like minded people.

I like rolling because it makes me feel superior to those people who don't train. (Not a good reason but it's true).

I roll for the sense of accomplishment and the sense of failure. Because it feels good to strive and overcome and because losing shows you where you need to improve and keeps your head from getting too big.

I roll because it hardens you up. Grappling is a physical intense exercise with the mental aspect of chess.

I roll because it gives me a good foundation for self defense. And no I don't buy into the BJJ is a complete martial art propaganda.

I roll because it is good to get primitive some times.

This was an honest answer and I hope that clears some things for you.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    As for the maiming or seriously injuring your attacker, what makes you think you have the skills and ability to maim someone? That is hubris and is usually the sign of a person who doesn't fight/spar/roll as a part of their training. Humility is a major by product of competitive training because you learn how easy it is to lose. Your maiming skills are just a part of your imagination.
    Tell me if it's part of may imagination if I have actually been there and done that? Do I have to have served in the Armed forces to have seriously hurt anyone? Or do I now need to produce a clip or photos??

Seriously too, I believe I am humble, and if I'm honest it was only a few occassions but enough to make me re-think my reasons for training Martial Arts and the importance of self defence (ie. do not hurt the attacker!!)

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    I want to fight and train to fight for a bunch of reasons...

...This was an honest answer and I hope that clears some things for you.
    Thanks for actually answering the original question, and I for one appreciate the honesty.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

An opinion I might add, that is shared by many who don't post here.
    And, I might add, also opposed by many who don't post here.I suggest you leave the legions of anonymous non-posters and their alleged opinions out of it.

If you haven't trained it, don't comment because you make yourself look and sound a little ignorant. .
    I've been training with the pole for 20 years. Patronise someone else, OK, lest you end up looking and sounding a lot more than a little ignorant (if it's not already too late).

Lee Shing was known for his weaponry expertise, .
    By whom exactly? Maybe those guys you mentioned before that don't post here? How was that alleged expertise measured, and what qualifications did the judges have? Were they independent?

and his own stories of our poles history make much more sense than anything else I have personally researched
    Maybe you haven't done enough personal research, and/or what little you have done has suffered from confirmation bias.

And so is any unproven 'his-story'.
    Lee Shing's would be in that category.
    Last edited by anerlich; 05-04-2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Less fire
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Total bull****.

If you can't, or aren't prepared to fight and to win, you can NEVER defend yourself.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu