Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Legends of Kung Fu 2011

I just got off the phone with Christophe Clark

He's lurking here. Maybe he'll post about Tru 2 Form. That would light up this ensuing flame war now, wouldn't it? He did have some interesting things to say about potential markets for this venture. As many of you know already, China has done some events that are similar in nature. IMO, this does have financial potential, but not necessarily in the way Christophe sees it. I see it this way: MMA=$; WWE=$$$$$ Just mull that over a little before you start pointing your LARPer fingers.

I've posted a few more pix on our facebook album. Here's some highlights I've cherry-picked for our forum:

Here comes the Judge!

Missing Mod

Twin Peaks hotties

Hop Gar represents

More to come tomorrow.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Talking

*puts down his classic, water stained DM screen*

Sorry, sir. I don't allow even my mages to carry "flame war" on them. That would just do stupid amounts of damage to ice elementals and such.

Btw...do I see Chris Heintzman in one of those photos?

*checks the random encounter table*

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

That would light up this ensuing flame war now, wouldn't it?
    I don't need to flame anyone, but don't ask me to buy into it
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I don't need to flame anyone...
    I want a refund.

I want a refund.
    sensei says no refund

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    wasn't this called Lei Tai fighting?

then it was called Sanshou

now it is called san da

why is it there is so much TALK about fighting and so little actual fighting?
    You know, I stay away because I'm busy, but it's good to see Coach Ross keeping the clouds of delusion parted...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    You know, I stay away because I'm busy, but it's good to see Coach Ross keeping the clouds of delusion parted...
    pretty much what I am here for

Part of the issue is Jimmy Wong doesn't work with the boxing commission because they want a "tournament" format. Texas rules state you can only have 1 fight per day, so he dances around sanctioning and bonding to keep the traditional elimination format.

I'm not 100% versed in the Texas rules, but real fighters from Oklahoma won't compete in it because you get an automatic 30-day suspension from the Boxing Commission for competing in an unsanctioned match.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 08-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Judges SCORE!

1.1, 1.1, 1.1, 1.1 - final score 1.1!

loser.

163 pix posted on facebook. I'm done for now. I should note that I just select these quickly from the thumbnails of nearly 800 photos I took. I know a lot of them are blurry. My bad. Lighting is always quirky at tournaments and I generally refrain from using a flash out of respect to the competitors. Enjoy!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

1.1, 1.1, 1.1, 1.1 - final score 1.1!

loser.

163 pix posted on facebook. I'm done for now. I should note that I just select these quickly from the thumbnails of nearly 800 photos I took. I know a lot of them are blurry. My bad. Lighting is always quirky at tournaments and I generally refrain from using a flash out of respect to the competitors. Enjoy!
    hahaha. that is a great pic to post on certain threads that fails.

I am not a camera expert but I believe increasing the ISO setting to maybe 800 - 1000 would help in taking indoor shots and not using a flash.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

My ISO was set at either 800 or 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    hahaha. that is a great pic to post on certain threads that fails.
    Exactly my intention.

The 2011 Legends of Kung Fu ended on a high note
    Violet Li
    , Tai Chi Examiner
    August 4, 2011

Over the weekend, three major martial arts tournaments took place in the North America. The 2011 Legendsof Kung Fu & Taiji Legacy World Martial Arts Championship in Plano, Texas, turned out to be a success with 550 contestants from all over the United States, Israel and Brazil, and over 2,000 spectators. President Barak Obama, Texas Governor Rick Perry, Plano Mayor Phil Dyer and other civic leaders sent in their greetings and congratulations.

Under the leadership of Master Jimmy Wong, this event has been hosted for 14 years by the USA Chin Woo Federation and sanctioned by the U.S. Traditional Kung Fu Wushu Federation in the Plano Convention Center (Plano, Texas). Each year, it features new Legends of Kung Fu and Tai Chi grand champions. After two days of highly-competitive games, this year’s titles belong to:

Beginer External Forms Grand Champion: Essay Eden (Houston, TX)
    Intermediate External Forms Grand Champion: Pei Wu (Houston, TX)
    Modern Wushu Forms Grand Champion: Steven Lee (Broken Arrow, OK)
    Beginner Internal Forms Grand Champion: Gigi Ip (Houston, TX)
    Intermediate Internal Forms Grand Champion: Queena Tong (Houston, TX)
    Taiji Forms Grand Champion: Zoe Siytangco (Houston, TX)
    Junior Forms Grand Champion: Ty Roberts (Killeen, TX)
    Confucius Warrior Award: Lauren Yeung (Sunnyvale, CA)
    Chin Woo Forms Grand Champion: Lauren Yeung (Sunnyvale, CA)

Musical Group is a unique group performance. This year’s awards go to:

External Weapon: San Antonio Shaolin Kung Fu (San Antonio, TX)
    Internal Form: Red Crane School of Tai Chi (Kansas City, MO)
    Internal Weapon: Red Crane School of Tai Chi (Kansas City, MO)

The Plano Centre is a full service, multi-purpose facility located near Dallas. This world-class convention center has a total of 122,500 square foot facility with an 86,400 square feet conventional hall including a large stage for performance. Master Jimmy Wong, instructors and students of J. K. Wong Kungfu Tai Chi Academy, and the members of the USA Chin Woo Federation worked tirelessly to put one of the largest tournaments in North America together. The event was well-organized and ran smoothly. It started on Friday morning (July 29) with excellent workshops and seminars hosted by masters and grandmasters. To ensure high standards, the Tournament held a “new judges and officials orientation and inquiries” session on Friday night. As usual, the Tournament amassed a group of 103 qualified grandmasters, masters and judges to judge each of the games. In general, each game was presided by one head judge, two assistants and five judges.

Saturday morning’s exhibition by 25 masters was ushered in with a magnificent drumming performance by Patty Sun. Masters Mike Barry, Kam Lee, Sam Ng, Wu Xing Ping, Donald Hamby, Florin Szondi, Sam FS Chin, Daniel Tomizaki, Chris Childs, Chun Man Sit, Yun Xiang Tseng, Paul Der Mody, Augustine Fong, Shi Xing Ying, Xueli Zhang, Huixian Chen, Andrew Chung, Johnny Lee, Blue Siytango, Ray Hildreth, Wayne Stevenson, Wuzhong Jia, George Hu, Paul Iaga and Christophe Clarke demonstrated their specialty and performed a mixture of internal and external martial arts. The exhibition ended with a lighted dragon dance.

The opening ceremony in Saturday afternoon brought all the competitors, judges, and spectators together. It consisted of an eight-lion dance, a parade of judges, and free participation of form practice. It was spectacular to witness hundreds of people practicing Tai Chi together - see a video on the left-side of the article. This year the external martial artists also got the chance to take the floor and practiced their forms. Amazingly with a few hundreds of practitioners kicking, punching and jumping in their own forms all over the floor, there wasn’t a single accident. Master Tom Gohring of Austin, TX, video-taped this and you can see it via the link here.

Saturday night’s San Shou Fight was a serious competition and the event did not end until almost midnight. It was not divided by internal, external, or style. The only division was weight class. One of the Israeli teams improvised and drummed on a plastic container which created a fun atmosphere.

This year Shifu Christopher Clarke championed a new category of sparring called True-2- Form. The goal is to promote the true arts of Chinese Martial Arts. Competitors were judged by their strikes against the opponents as well as how they applied their own art. This game won the overwhelming support of the Tournament and proved itself as a viable event. There will be a separate report on this category in this column.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Soooo....who is going to the Houston one in July 2013???
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.