Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacquiao’s Style Takes Inspiration From Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

What do you mean "but, now"?
    If you're old enough to remember "Don King" You're old enough to know about the corruption that runs through professional sports and in particular combat sports.

No, it's not new, but it is prevalent.
    Watch for obvious miss matches, switch outs, drop outs and guys who fall faster than the Barcelona synchronized diving team that plays football for spain.

just sayin...

Not every fight, but enough of them to keep the balance of power and wealth in the pockets of those who desire that.

Contractual obligations are the new extortion don't you know?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    If you're old enough to remember "Don King" You're old enough to know about the corruption that runs through professional sports and in particular combat sports.

Watch for obvious miss matches, switch outs, drop outs and guys who fall faster than the Barcelona synchronized diving team that plays football for spain.

just sayin...

Not every fight, but enough of them to keep the balance of power and wealth in the pockets of those who desire that.

God, I used to HATE watching any fight that involved Don King. You'd watch his fighter get pummeled for 12 rounds straight and still walk away with the decision. Used to make me sick.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

You say:
    Yes, but now money is involved and you know what that means right?
    Implying that money wasn't a prevalent influence at some point in the past.

When asked to elaborate you respond with:

just sayin...

i are having a confusing

I'll give you two to one that gambling and fight purses go back to the Hellenistic pugilistic traditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

All professional "prizefighting" involves money, hence the name. Which is the main reason why there is a division in amateur and professional. There have been made fights, guys taking dives, and all other forms of scams to get those holding the fights (promoters) rich.

It might be worst now, but this has went on ever since fighting has involved money and gambling.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Well, that was f*cking horrible.

Mosley was a parody of a desiccated carcass and Pacquiao looked like a washed up one legged geisha.

If that is what Pacquiao is working with, Mayweather would dismantle him handily.

On the other hand, the more conspiratorial voices in my head are speculating that Pacquaio played lame in order to bait Mayweather.

Seems a little far fetched, but Pacman really looked like sh*t last night. I don't want to think Mosley's poke poke run strategy could have thrown Manny's game off that much. Sure Mosley was a good defensive counter puncher ten years ago, but he let go of what? 4 right hands the entire 12 rounds?

Manny has eaten a good deal of punishment the last couple of years, maybe he is losing the edge.

Maybe Manny respected him too much or Maybe he just had a bad day, that happens to all of us.
    Maybe he was baiting Floyd.
    Whatever the reason.
    Ass meet suck !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Apparently his legs seized up and he couldn't move. Roach said it was a problem in camp too.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Apparently his legs seized up and he couldn't move. Roach said it was a problem in camp too.
    That would be over training and electrolye imbalance.
    Also a common side effect of a few supplements that are used to aid in recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    That would be over training and electrolye imbalance.
    Also a common side effect of a few supplements that are used to aid in recovery.
    Was gonna mention overtraining too. It happened to me a couple times when I was training real hard in muay thai.

We were warming up with a 5 mile run. We'd then spend the next 3 hours doing 5 minute rounds with kicks, shadowboxing, squats, etc. It was brutal.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Yeah, Pacquiao mentioned it immediately post fight, and in interviews Ariza said that it is because Pacquaio runs hills exclusively.

The conspiratorial voices in my head don't buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Was gonna mention overtraining too. It happened to me a couple times when I was training real hard in muay thai.

We were warming up with a 5 mile run. We'd then spend the next 3 hours doing 5 minute rounds with kicks, shadowboxing, squats, etc. It was brutal.
    Excessive lactic acid build up with not enough electrolytes and water will cause it.
    As well certain recovery enhancers.
    And you can't just "walk it off".
    BUT if it was happening during training then they should have fixed it and have been prepared for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Excessive lactic acid build up with not enough electrolytes and water will cause it.
    As well certain recovery enhancers.
    And you can't just "walk it off".
    BUT if it was happening during training then they should have fixed it and have been prepared for it.
    Good point. I had to take a week off both times when it happened to me.

Also, I was having some serious mental breakdowns as well as muscle fatigue. In my case, though, I think it was all just too much too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Good point. I had to take a week off both times when it happened to me.

Also, I was having some serious mental breakdowns as well as muscle fatigue. In my case, though, I think it was all just too much too soon.
    There is a curve and that curve of diminished returns is real.
    Problem is that until you do too much, you don't know it, LOL !
    And fighters tend to be the worse because they just see pain as one more hurdle to overcome, instead of seeing it for what it is, Nature's way of telling you are ****ing up !!

Pacquiao HUGE knockdown | Thurman bloody nose | Pacquiao vs. Thurman Highlights

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Leaving this here for now...

We have several Pac man threads, mostly with his fights, but no general one. This seems a good one to park this newspiece. It makes me wonder if Bruce would've ever entered politics had he lived long enough...

Manny Pacquiao retires from boxing to focus on political career
    Last updated on 9 hours ago.

Manny Pacquiao is the only boxer to hold world championships across four different decades
    Boxing legend Manny Pacquiao has announced his retirement from the sport to focus on his political career.

The multi-division world champion, who is a senator in his native Philippines, has already announced his intention to run for president in the country's 2022 elections.

The 42-year-old's final fight was a defeat by Cuba's Yordenis Ugas in Las Vegas last month.

"I just heard the final bell. Boxing is over," said Pacquiao.

In a video posted on social media, Pacquiao described retiring as the "hardest decision" of his life, adding boxing had given him "the chance to fight my way out of poverty" and "the courage to change more lives".

He also thanked his fans, friends and all those who supported him throughout his career, most notably long-time trainer Freddie Roach, who he described as "my family, a brother and a friend".

"I will never forget what I have done and accomplished in my life," he said.

After growing up in poverty in the south of the Philippines, Pacquiao moved to the capital Manila as a teenager to start a boxing career that would make him one of the world's most highly paid athletes.

He won his first major title in 1998 at the age of 19, defeating Thailand's Chatchai Sasakul for the WBC flyweight title.

Within three years he was fighting in Las Vegas, beating South Africa's Lehlohonolo Ledwaba for the IBF super bantamweight title at the MGM Grand, the venue for most of his fights in the following two decades.

He is now regarded as one of the greatest professional boxers of all time, winning 12 different titles across eight weight divisions and is the only boxer to hold world championships across four decades.

In July 2019, Pacquiao became the oldest welterweight world champion in history at the age of 40 when he defeated Keith Thurman to win the WBA (Super) welterweight title, though he was stripped of the title in January 2021 because of inactivity.

Speaking after his defeat to Ugas in August, Pacquiao said he was "60-40" in favour of quitting.

He retires with a record of 62 wins, eight defeats and two draws.

Pacquiao entered politics in 2010 when he won a seat in the lower house of the Philippines congress, before being elected for a six-year term in the upper chamber in 2016.

He confirmed earlier this month his intention to run for president after he was nominated as a candidate by a faction of the ruling party, PDP-Laban.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart