Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The conceits of some Kung Fu people

yes, there are many concealing hands or hidden hands in just about every posture in kung fu.

they are revealed as you advance in any school.

they are not really hidden in the beginning.

just when you learn the basic moves and as you advance

more are evident or revealing to you.

just the stages of learning one must go thru

not really the teacher is hiding anything from you from the very beginning.

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    yes, there are many concealing hands or hidden hands in just about every posture in kung fu.
    nope mbjbbjh

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

You make a good enough point about teaching alternates to less favored students.
    Ethically, one probably should not accept them at all, instead of teaching them a good enough fighting style for the bread and butter.

They are bread and butter students in mcdojo's and in private schools.
    But if we decline all but master's choice, we deny B&B students the potential opportunity to win status after they have proven themselves. We do not always credit someone at first with what they demonstrate to us later.

We also cut out the funding that allows all the students to study in style, which is another reason private studios accept public students. I do not think it is fair to exploit anyone, but there are people who can not handle some knowledge but are still able to learn it.

I think as long as the student is getting more than a fair deal from you what you teach to who is teacher's business.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

I read a really good book recently that was nothing to do with martial arts - but the author made a point about people who borrow evidence from the future - from stuff that hasn't even happened yet - and how bogus that is.

That's just what so many CMAers do and not just CMAers - though, they are usually the most useless looking, fat, laughable ones of them all, hence they spring to mind more easily - ALL their proof is in the future, when they'll kick your ass, or, what they'll do when out on the street and get attacked...

The really big divide in martial arts, now, is people whose evidence is already presented, and people whose evidence is somewhere in the future. Unless of course, someone actually DOES turn up at their gym, in which case 'call security!' or 'Hey, even though I said come to my gym for a fight any time, I'm now going to portray you as a thug who turns up to people's classes for a fight! I've got to do something to distract attention from my embarrassment!'

LMAO
    It's not worth a penny!

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Actually, each of the examples I used are almost direct quotes I've heard.
    You hear themall the time - even this forum you hear ridiculous stuff regularly, and people put up ridiculous videos as a matter of course.

Over the years, frauds learn how to 'manage' criticism - so they learn all these daft sayings and ways of turning it all on the people with common sense who see through the fraud. Of course, the standard is, well where's YOUR video of you doing the amazing thing I'm pretending to do for REAL??

Er, well, I'm not pretending to do an amazing thing. We end up treating Tracy Emin as equivalent to Leonardo Da Vinci because people can say hey, where's your masterpiece? Er, I haven't got one, but that just shows Emin is as crap as me, not as good as Leonardo.

My favourite is the way you can get a bloc of mutually supporting frauds, so they can say 'hey, he's highly respected! Just ask anyone round here...' Er, yeah... but, highly respected by whom? You? Lol..

Second only to when one fraud attacks another one - as a fruad! LMAO!

Isn't it funny though, how disproportinately these people are attracted to set-ups where real skill is 'hidden'??? Lol. What a multitude of sins that hides.
    It's not worth a penny!

there are body frames forms

or basic stepping, basic arm movement etc

they may also be called gong jia or just jia zhi.

practice of which is vitally important.

without practice of them, most of the app will not work.

and yet, the frame forms do not look like apps apparent or directly or right away.

---

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    You make a good enough point about teaching alternates to less favored students.
    Ethically, one probably should not accept them at all, instead of teaching them a good enough fighting style for the bread and butter.

They are bread and butter students in mcdojo's and in private schools.
    But if we decline all but master's choice, we deny B&B students the potential opportunity to win status after they have proven themselves. We do not always credit someone at first with what they demonstrate to us later.

We also cut out the funding that allows all the students to study in style, which is another reason private studios accept public students. I do not think it is fair to exploit anyone, but there are people who can not handle some knowledge but are still able to learn it.

I think as long as the student is getting more than a fair deal from you what you teach to who is teacher's business.
    You raise interesting points.

My view is, a teacher is only qualified to teach their expertise. As long as they teach that, they are ethically okay.

Teaching limited aspects while determining the ethics of a student is common, I just find that it is often an unnecessary control. For example, by trying to retain the good students and the questionable ones, one is choosing to keep the questionable ones, often endlessly, so that one increases the likelihood of the wrong person learning further techniques. In kung fu, the best way to lose students that aren't serious and willing to accept that you have moral expectations on them as people is to teach them properly, that has been my experience. Ethically questionable people are the least likely to be able to accept their own limitations, and proper training exposes that most quickly.

This is not me saying you're wrong, you have good points, and my solution is not perfect, but one cannot retain a bad student, bad ethically, without allowing a lot more opportunities to glimpse or train techniques that can harm.

Sometimes, it is better to simply cut ties in an amicable way, "I'm not saying you can never train with me, but that I find that you seek to harm people who don't deserve it, and your own ideas should tell you that using your training to harm those with less experience than you is seeking nobodies to make yourself feel good. When you know this, I'd be more than willing to train you."

To retain such students cannot be ethical without also teaching nothing of value, which is also not ethical.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Water-quan View Post
    You hear themall the time - even this forum you hear ridiculous stuff regularly, and people put up ridiculous videos as a matter of course.

Over the years, frauds learn how to 'manage' criticism - so they learn all these daft sayings and ways of turning it all on the people with common sense who see through the fraud. Of course, the standard is, well where's YOUR video of you doing the amazing thing I'm pretending to do for REAL??

Er, well, I'm not pretending to do an amazing thing. We end up treating Tracy Emin as equivalent to Leonardo Da Vinci because people can say hey, where's your masterpiece? Er, I haven't got one, but that just shows Emin is as crap as me, not as good as Leonardo.

My favourite is the way you can get a bloc of mutually supporting frauds, so they can say 'hey, he's highly respected! Just ask anyone round here...' Er, yeah... but, highly respected by whom? You? Lol..

Second only to when one fraud attacks another one - as a fruad! LMAO!

Isn't it funny though, how disproportinately these people are attracted to set-ups where real skill is 'hidden'??? Lol. What a multitude of sins that hides.
    Great post. The greatest capacity to hide one's reachings is in the work required to acheive skill and the ability to get along required to gain skill from having good training partners. Many schools lose this benefit by endorsing an insular "we're better than others" attitude that allows them to get along inside school, but be hostile to outsiders. By never accepting that kind of BS, one retains far more control over the ethics of students than by giving an ethical pass in regards to one's own circle.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    there are body frames forms

or basic stepping, basic arm movement etc

they may also be called gong jia or just jia zhi.

practice of which is vitally important.

without practice of them, most of the app will not work.

and yet, the frame forms do not look like apps apparent or directly or right away.

---
    A good school trains them with the apps in mind, imo.

They themselves do not lead to the apps without knowing what the intent of the basic is. One cannot practice the basic well without some understanding of its goals.

I'm not disagreeing, merely branching from that point. The basic does not hide the app, but reveals it.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Many schools lose this benefit by endorsing an insular "we're better than others" attitude that allows them to get along inside school, but be hostile to outsiders.
    all too true
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

A student is not necessarily "bad" or to be ejected because they aren't "master's choice". They like to be at dojo and part of a school too.
    What I meant was the one's that I have around where I live, that take on more complete skills and are capable of more than combat - the one's who help uphold and take care of the school and most likely to carry forward the tradition.
    A student is not necessarily bad because they do not wish to possess the knowledge and skill to handle more, they are just "regular". I should have been more specific.

I agree with you that a sociopathic type will not be comfortable or happy in a open, upright type of fraternity. They are not able to negotiate it or cope and it does not meet their perceived needs - they flake off to find a nice ex-cia need-to-be in a more artificial environment.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I never quite understood why respected teachers would put out crap in demos, or vids.
    Whether they are hiding the real from onlookers, or whatever, why do they not realize that their stuff is now out there, and that is how they will always be remembered, no matter if they are really good or not.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    and W T F is with the face!
    Why does everyone on the cover of IKF or some other magazine (not KF magazine, thank God) have to make that ridiculous, eyes bulging, just sat on a tack, face?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

sometimes you really wonder if so and so has such and such for reals anyway...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    and W T F is with the face!
    Why does everyone on the cover of IKF or some other magazine (not KF magazine, thank God) have to make that ridiculous, eyes bulging, just sat on their sack, face?
    Fixed...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb