Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The conceits of some Kung Fu people

Hey, thats my gynecologist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Come on now

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    and W T F is with the face!
    Why does everyone on the cover of IKF or some other magazine (not KF magazine, thank God) have to make that ridiculous, eyes bulging, just sat on a tack, face?
    Newsstand sales. You have no idea what moves on the newsstands until you try to sell something there. I'd been a freelancer for almost a decade and I was shocked when I learned how newsstands really work. For niche mags like us, expectations are a huge factor. If we step too far away, we aren't recognized and our newsstand sales plummet.

This is changing now as newsstands are disappearing.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    If we step too far away, we aren't recognized and our newsstand sales plummet.
    Well why don't you move into more conventional areas of publishing?
    Last edited by taai gihk yahn; 05-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.

I never quite understood why respected teachers would put out crap in demos, or vids.
    people in modern times want crap, they dont want real thing

"real kung fu"? you want to to drill marching for two hours and memorize flag signals?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    people in modern times want crap, they dont want real thing

"real kung fu"? you want to to drill marching for two hours and memorize flag signals?
    And soft, luxurious silk pajamas.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Most martial arts publications are selling to one form of sensationalism or another, mma have plenty of mags that have more to do with the publicity than the method. TMA made an early advantage of the exoticism, but exoticizing the styles led to practitioners unable to make ordinary use without risking being seen as non-traditional(see youknowwhos comments about shuai jiao coaches and san shou couches being in the back of the line for parading into the comps). Either one is useless to the people trying to stay on the forefront of effectiveness in their system.

That said, mma manuals tend to be better organized for usage, with important exceptions in tma.

And, in fairness, it is a rare day that I don't have the look of a man who has sat on his nutsack, while brutalizing another guy in silk pajamas. It's because I'm so attractive. Even straight men lose their self control, and then I have to break out the tiger fork, not because I don't understand their ardor(or, in the case of my British admirers, ardour), but because I am sparing them my wife's wrath.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

The Conceits of some kung fu people

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Talking about things teachers do to keep their style hidden, and the utter uselessness of it in the modern era.

"I didn't teach him the real style"

Really? So you conned a paying customer? How nice. Remember when you called your students friends/family? You were lying. The fact that you had to say so speaks volumes.

"I alter the form in demos"

This is a leftover from the era when people stole forms and taught, something that doesn't pay the water bill these days. Knowing a form is little, and anyone worth their salt can figure out that steps 1-88 all work a lot of things you've worked on the body mechanics of for years, step 89 looks like a waddle, and steps 90-108 look like something you worked hard on again.

"I don't teach the real style until after these seven forms that I made up."

It must be embarrasing that your students would know more about moving in relation to another human had they taken salsa lessons over your six or seven forms, and that, even after you teach them the real style, they'll have to train and teach 7/8 of their time in things that have no basis in usage.

And I'm not joking about salsa lessons. Every time they move in relation to one another, every time you do form you're not, and the two man sets, after years of other stuff, don't exactly make up the difference.

"I move well, so and so doesn't look like he could move."

Fighting seems to have more to do with moving in relation to others than how we move on our own. Athleticism is cool, but moving well at one thing does not relate to reading and moving in relation to others.

Add your own as you remember them, this is not an attack on kung fu, just remembering the old days, and having a beer in honor of their demise. I'm all for preserving the USAGE of every style possible, and care not one bit about preserving any other part over that.
    KC elbows ,

I agree with you reading and moving are 2 - different things . You can read , but can you comphrehend what you ' re reading in motions . It takes constant practice , but ! yeah ! the moves could change to make it suitable for yourself . If you don ' t like the moves then , you ' re not going to practice it , you might as well modify it to make it the way you like it .

Are you a dancing teacher KC elbows ? What kind of dancing do you really teach anyway ? So I have a better idea of what kind of dancing you' re teaching .

facial expression actually used up a lot of your muscle

screaming also used up a lot of your chi and muscle

they effect your recruitment of muscles and mobilization your chi for fighting

---

for cover purpose

it is better lose eyeglasses

even thou we know LT is phD?

----

the first photo looks like leung ting is raping his student
    second photo look like he holding his penus

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

and W T F is with the face!
    Why does everyone on the cover of IKF or some other magazine (not KF magazine, thank God) have to make that ridiculous, eyes bulging, just sat on a tack, face?
    Somehow people think it means their kungfu is bad @ss.

But in reality, it just means that it is bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    "I don't teach the real style until after these seven forms that I made up."
    One of my students has been with me for less than 2 months. he just won the 2nd place in a local grappling tournament. He used the head lock that I taught him and took his opponent down 3 times.