Thread: qigong and body awareness

qigong and body awareness

First, ~G I know this is a qigong thread, but it has wider thought around general physical awareness and how that is improved through physical work and refined with qigong.

Many look at qigong through the filter of "wtf is up with that". As kung fu practitioners, a great many of us are exposed to qigong frequently as a practice and as an addition to the kung fu being learned.

By learning a physical discipline, you begin to develop such things as body balance, structural awareness and a general sense of where you are in space and time with a very holistic outlook. from fingertips to top of head to tip of toes you are aware of where each piece of you is...or are you?

This is where qigong helps and aids in refinement of the body awareness. this is an aspect of qigong practice in tandem with physical discipline really kicks in in my opinion.

Qigong has you focusing your attention fully on parts of your body and over time, you develop a higher sense of body awareness through the practice of it.

Your grip, position, way of moving and structural formation will be corrected through the refinement process that is qigong and that in turn will crossover to your kung fu or fighting practice.

Qigong will improve and strengthen breath intake and output. Blood oxygenation can actually rise through this practice, in many ways similar to yoga and it's pranaveda work.

You actually begin to feel a lot of little processes that are always going on, but that somehow you had been oblivious to before or only now and then a fleeting awareness of it.

This practice will quicken your eye and your hand that follows as well. Reflexes improve and it is an organic and natural process that comes with practice.

Qigong, like yoga is in many ways icing on the cake of kung fu. It is these refinement practices that begin to reveal the movement and posture of kung fu as it should be.

It is a tandem process as well. It is not independent of the other hard work, but rather supplemental to it.

Learning qigong alone would have some benefits in body awareness, but would not be as practical as when it is used in tandem with more rigorous exercise pursuit.

Better breathing patterns, better posture, better body awareness. For me, these are the direct benefits of qigong combined with kung fu practice.

I never was one for the mystical cryptic talk of chi as this or that. For me it is simply breath, blood and energy working together to propel you as a being. breath work simply refines those processes.

feedback?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries

I'm VERY aware of THAT booty..i mean body

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

wow! Those are great links thanks!
    lol, i didn't even need to post that with these.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    wow! Those are great links thanks!
    lol, i didn't even need to post that with these.
    nah...your post was better. Mine was just for the "non-believers" :ha!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoXm...eature=related

stretching with posturing and

breathing exercise incorporated

they are for fitness and dance

--

so the question is that

do you do some stretching, posturing and breathing exercise for your martial arts?

--

i agree with the initial post. qigong, speaking generally here, allows for a pretty d@mned refined level of physical control if practiced properly. if that were its only benefit, to create a gentle and positive increase in developing the skill of knowing and using the body on a more refined level, then that would still make it quite a useful aid to the study of martial arts in my opinion.

i personally find qigong an indispensable aid to my own practices. from the hard iron skill sets to the soft arts of xingyiquan and taijiquan.

perhaps what could be argued, is that you can gain quite a lot of body awareness and skills such as balance and micro-coordination through dedicated practice of a wushu/gongfu form and its warm up exercises.

and, i wouldn't say that to be a wrongful statement. but, depending on one's experience with qigong and how far or in depth it is studied, i find the more subtle, deeper benefits which aren't well described to be developed more strictly through a good qigong program. and if one happens to fall in lline with traditional chinese medicine, than there is no doubt qigong should be a part of your normal routine.

as far as viewing qigong through just the filter of modern sports science, i suspend my beliefs at that point and just allow my practice to take itself where it will.