Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Application of Biu Johng

Application of Biu Johng

Doe anyone have a video showing a clean application of Biu Johng? This technique shows up a lot in CLF but I've yet to see a very convincing application.

Also, I notice the body position on this technique varies quite a bit so I'm curious to see if people have a different idea about its application.

Thanks,

EO

It's just the same as Peng/ward off from Taiji. Typically applied as an off-balancing throw.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    biu-jong can come from the front or back, from the front, it can be an unbalancing technique, a takedown, or if it is across the throat, can crush the trachea. If applied with a wrist/arm grab, you can lock/break the elbow against the body while coming across the throat.
    From the rear, it strikes the base of the skull.
    Often, it is used in conjunction with sow-choy, such as been choy,sow choy,biu-jong.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Here is a drill we do with biu jong in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSQwF-c7ak
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 05-06-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

We use it to crash the center line, then to Thai clinch. I should do a vid on it.

Blog Entries
    Biu Jong can be used to crash thru someones guard, as a strike to a limb, torso, or head.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Here is a drill we do with biu jong in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSQwF-c7ak
    that's what we do when we do been sow jong. Our gwa is more of a downward backfist and been being horizontal-po-tay-to, po-tah-to
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    that's what we do when we do been sow jong. Our gwa is more of a downward backfist and been being horizontal-po-tay-to, po-tah-to
    Our Kwa Choy's are vertical, horizontal, and diagonal. in this drill from the video, you can kwa Choy in a Sei Ping Ma, Sow Choy in a Twist Horse, then step up into a Din Ji Ma (for us) with the Biu Jong or you can side side step with the Kwa then strike with the sow, step up and strike with the biu jong.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 05-06-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    at 1:42 and 2:09 you see me doing successive biu jongs (just like five of em) and the second one is just one of my beginner students drilling biu jong on the pads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skMlRPETqic

I use biu jong more as a penetrating "drilling" bridge/entrance technique rather than an uprooting/bodycheck technique.

Probably because I don't like the motion so much.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Thanks for your responses.

I just don't see this as a preferred technique. For example, if I wanted to strike the throat I'd use a knife-hand strike (faster), if I wanted to knock someone down I'd use Gwa Cheui or Dat Cheui to the mid section (more powerful.)

So I'm wondering if there are any unique advantages to this technique? In my brand of CLF it shows up an awful lot. As ten tigers mentioned it can be used as a behind the elbow break (ie you block and trap the punching arm and come up behind the elbow with Biu Johng), maybe this is the primary application? It would make sense because it's also not very powerful but you don't need a huge amount of power for this application (hurts like a *****!)

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    So I'm wondering if there are any unique advantages to this technique? In my brand of CLF it shows up an awful lot. As ten tigers mentioned it can be used as a behind the elbow break (ie you block and trap the punching arm and come up behind the elbow with Biu Johng), maybe this is the primary application? It would make sense because it's also not very powerful but you don't need a huge amount of power for this application (hurts like a *****!)

EO
    In our style we use yeuhng kiuh for this because it is quicker. Biu johng is not usually strong enough to knock someone down but makes a great entry for a shoulder lock and throw.

A favorite app for this is to enter by stepping behind the lead lead leg and unbalance with full side contact (get your ribs right up against his) at the same time as you turn your hips to destabilize his lead leg with your thigh. If you control his lead arm with the assisting hand the biu johng begins by jamming your lead shoulder into his armpit, then follow through. In this application the fist never even touches your opponent. It just adds momentum for the shoulder and upper arm contact to complete the throw. If he reacts quickly by leaning forward, drag your elbow up from under his arm and press it into the back of his shoulder to take him down the other way.

This can also be done as a front entry, striking with biu johng behind the shoulder but i've never seen it work in sparring.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    As ten tigers mentioned it can be used as a behind the elbow break (ie you block and trap the punching arm and come up behind the elbow with Biu Johng), maybe this is the primary application? It would make sense because it's also not very powerful but you don't need a huge amount of power for this application (hurts like a *****!)

EO
    ah, you misunderstood. Let me see if I can clarify:
    Let's say you and your opponent are in a left lead.
    You throw been choy to his head-through his guard, and as you step in with your right leg into a right side horse, you grab his arm with your left hand. As you land in your right side horse, you throw a right sow choy through the base of the skull.
    Maintaining the grasp of the opponent's left arm, you then come back under his throat with biu-jong. You are now locking/breaking his left elbow with your body/chest, while striking thr throat.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ah, you misunderstood. Let me see if I can clarify:
    Let's say you and your opponent are in a left lead.
    You throw been choy to his head-through his guard, and as you step in with your right leg into a right side horse, you grab his arm with your left hand. As you land in your right side horse, you throw a right sow choy through the base of the skull.
    Maintaining the grasp of the opponent's left arm, you then come back under his throat with biu-jong. You are now locking/breaking his left elbow with your body/chest, while striking thr throat.
    this sounds complicated. :/
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    The Biu Jong isn't locked down to striking just the throat. it can be used to strike the ribs, the back, to attack a punch and break elbow