Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: There is no such thing as authentic Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    You know it sure does help weigh up your contributions to this forum Hendrik when you're honest about your studies. Maybe these two gentlemen are your latest research, because neither practise Wing Chun do they?

In fact, this thread would be more suited for the Tai Chi Forum as it seems it is directed at 'insulting' Wing Chun practitioners more so than helping anyone of us here. Just my opinon, but I would like to see how you use this knowledge in your SLT. Just once, upload a clip of you practising Wing Chun and I might listen/read more carefully but for now you have lost my attention

I really love your post.

You remind me of those self-rigtheous hero in the Shaws brothers martial art movies.

I particular like one movie, it is called blade.

in it the hero said " some times, I see something which I dont think it is right and so I go out to help the world and the people.
    but the next day when I wake up. I realize the whole world is right including the wrong doing person which I judge and accuse. and the only wrong person is me myself."

Are you sure your accusation and judgement towards me is correct? Find out more before making up judgement is a way to avoid mistake and looking foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    - what is a BTDT?

Been there done that. I had cross trained the 字门(Zime) system just to learn the advance TCMA - "点穴(Dian Xue) - pressure point attack" skill.

- how old are you?

I'll get my medicare card this year.

- advance TCMA.

If you can use your skill in combat, a simple punch to the face is "advance". If you can't use your skill in combat, even you can make you Qi to circle through 小周天(Xiao Chou Tien) or 大周天(Da Chou Tien), you are still "low" level. That's the way I look at TCMA anyway.

I know you are interesting in power generation (snake engine, 6 direction vector force, 2 doors, ...). I'm interesting in "problem solving - how to find the right key to open a certain lock".

For understand you better purpose,

1, Could you share what is "点穴(Dian Xue) and why it is advance TCMA?

2, Could you please share what is 小周天(Xiao Chou Tien) or 大周天(Da Chou Tien) have you done it?

Fajin is like to build a WMD. To deliver that WMD, it requires:

1. 時間(Shi Jian) - timing,
    2. 機会(Ji Hui) - opportunity
    3. 角度(Jiao Du) - angle
    4. 力的使用(Li De Shi Yong) - Fajin
    5. 平衡(Ping Heng) - balance

Fajin is only 1/5 of the combat requirement.

Combat is 2 person art and not just solo training. The integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, and ground skill is more important than just Fajin.

In order to solve a problem (such as wrestler's single leg, BJJ's pull guard, ...), we have to understand that problem first. That takes time and effort. We only have limited amout of life time and we can't do everything. If we are more interested in the big picture, sometime we just have to do the best we can in certain area (such as Fajin) and move on.

What is WMD?

2, What is Fajin?

3, The above is your view.

For me, in my understanding of ancient advance TCMA,
    Fajin is the system power management/ power/momentum generation platform.
    So, your 1 to 5 above is making an assumption on you have a power generation platform which could support your needs or different needs.

Your hindden assumption can be analogy to one learn how to drive an automatic shift city car and assume everything is the same instead of knowing in reality, there are stick shift, automatic, two wheel drive, four wheel drive, ice condition drive, anti-break, pumping break....etc.

Without clearly know the power generation, application technics variety are great but every technics is a power generation dependable. so in stead of Fa jin is the 1/5. Fa Jin is the based of everything.

Thus, your handling such as the following is problematic
    If we are more interested in the big picture, sometime we just have to do the best we can in certain area (such as Fajin) and move on
    because there is no such thing on " we just have to do the best we can in the certain area (such as Fajin) and move on."

One cant move if the power generation platform surge. and knowing not the characteristics and handling of the power generation platform is a kiss of death because the same technics always has a power generation platform dependency.

and

Advance TCMA is dealing with these power surge.

We can read in the advance TCMA records that
    Wang Xiang-Zai the creator of Yee Chuan defeat the Japanese Olympic player or Sun Lu-Dang defeat the Judo players who pin him by power generation handling at contact not another application technics or secret or special move.

Thus, the fight in advance TCMA is not explicit technics or secret move but Power generation platform handing. Those who can handle the power platform and surge it win. that is what it is called beyond explicit shape and small move is better then big move, no move is better then small move.

Saying the above, I see your point and your point is perfect legitimate for any one who do western type of sport or external art such as SC which assume one has the same power and assume every one has the same power. However, in the real world that is not the case, power different person to person, sex, age, shape....etc.

Why is the two doors, 20 ch, 6 DFV, and snake engine are important? because that is the basic of power /momentum handling. that is just the basic, one can call it in different names or term but those stuffs describe power/momentum generation in the physical world. with it one is not guarentee to win. without it one is quarentee to get stuck.

For traditional ancient chinese,

As for Qi, Qi is just an intemidiate manifestation before the physical.
    creation or manifestration begin from setting an intention, then the flow of Qi, then the formation of physical.

So, the Chinese is handling lots of physical in the Qi level because that is much easier to handle changes before the formation of physical. There is nothing myterious. Qi is just pre-physical formation reality.

However, if one doesnt have the training and knowing not the existance of this pre-physical formation, one will not be able to know what is it and use it.

and also,

not everything could be handle in the pre-physical formation level. some needs to be handle in the physical level and some needs to be handle in the mind level. and some needs to be handle the same time in all level to get result.

Be able to go these far in understanding and handling, I call that advance TCMA. otherwise it is driving in autopilot, like driving a city commute car with city speed, there is not much advance in it.

In my understanding,
    Advance TCMA is a systemic, meaning the player, the opponent, the power generation, the timing, the structure, the guidance system...... all are considered at once to satisfy law of physic/cosmos instead of human reasoning and no assumption is made.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-15-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Blog Entries

2, Could you please share what is 小周天(Xiao Chou Tien) or 大周天(Da Chou Tien) have you done it?

1,What is WMD?

2, What is Fajin?

WMD = weapon of maximun destruction. The other 3 can be Googled online. Since I'm no longer interested in those areas, I don't want to get into it.

This is your thread after all. I don't want to side track too much from your original topic. If you are interesting in

- Crosse Training vs. Style Evolution, or
    - Why all zones should be practiced,

we can exchange different opinions over there.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-15-2011 at 12:56 PM.

1,What is WMD?

2, What is Fajin?

WMD = weapon of maximun destruction. The other 3 can be Googled online. Since I'm no longer interested in those areas, I don't want to get into it.

This is your thread after all. I don't want to side track too much from your original topic. If you are interesting in

- Crosse Training vs. Style Evolution, or
    - Why all zones should be practiced,

we can exchange different opinions over there.

1, Thanks.

2, it doesnt matter is my thread or who's thread. if you have good points bring it up. I might be disagree but I always open.

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    what is the "integration" you are referring to? it sounds like you have moved above and beyond TCMA jin,qi,mind,structure into this "integration" concept. or maybe i misunderstood you to say that you tried it but it didn't work for you or you didn't see how it might be useful/used. as for integration when doing a punch or kick...i'm not sure what could be more "integrated" in the body to deliver energy than fa-jin, when done correctly.

any punch/kick/energy release done according to TCMA will involve the qi, mind, structure, jin etc. wck is a TCMA, so if you're going to do wck, you're doing TCMA. which means qi, mind, jin etc

if we're going to be advanced wck players, then these details must be understood. if you have BTDT, then could you please share your understanding of what hendrik asked? its always great to hear other peoples thinking on the subject and i could always learn some more myself.

what specific problems are you trying to solve?

theo, YKW, and all the friends who knows chinese/cantonese who read my post but not willing to reveal yourself.

This following song is my feeling and sentiment of the ancient advance SLT cultivation.
    this song express better then words since it is very classical chinese type and in cantonese which is the language of the Red boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFprd...eature=related

Help me to translate the lyrics.

恼春风
    我心因何恼春风
    说不出
    借酒相送

夜雨冻
    雨点透射到照片中
    回头似是梦
    无法弹动
    迷住凝望你
    褪色照片中

却像有无数说话
    可惜我听不懂.

The whole red boat advance SLT cultivation stuffs might be fade away forever.... in this continous evolution. we are in a very critical cross road. is WCK is going to evolve into western influence sport direction or evolve back like LJ trying to keep his kolo very close to pure Yim family teaching in the red boat. next 20 years will be the witness.

I see TST did a great job trying to keep this part of art for the past 30 years, but that cant sustain long and going further advance because the basic of the process is not clear without a solid ancient chinese TCMA foundation. and lead one to be able to tap back to the ancient chinese TCMA library of knowledge.
    a clear training process must be presented because it is extremely in efficient to train with fuzzy and trial /erro way.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-15-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    not willing to reveal yourself...
    Many people on this forum know me already. Here is my website:

http://johnswang.com

Since you ask, I'll share my opinion on these 3 subjects.

1st, the 点穴(Dian Xue) skill requires to develop finger tip strength. In the Zimen system, the way to develop it is to put 2 iron boards on both side of your head when you sleep on the bed. When you rotate to one side, you put your 5 finger tips on the iron board and remain your elbow to hang in the air. when you turn around, you then train the other hand. The training is just too hard. I don't mind to train 10 hours daily, but when I sleep, I don't want to train.

2nd, as far as 小周天(Xiao Chou Tien) or 大周天(Da Chou Tien), I find it has little or nothing to do with combat. I didn't know that when I was young. But the older that I'm, the more that I realize that ancient Chinese tried to mix "health", "spiritual development", with "combat". It's a big distraction for the "combat" skill/ability development.

3rd, Fajin, Chinese Fajin always emphasis to strike on the thin air. IMO, if you can't Fajin on a heavy bag, your Fajin is not real. Boxer never used the term Fajin. There striking power is not any less than the TCMA guys.

You may call me "banana - yellow ouside but white inside" (I think you know this term). TCMA guys treat me as a MMA guy because I like "cross training". MMA guys treat me as a TCMA guy because I don't train boxing, wrestling, MT, and I love the TCMA training method. When I said that I don't believe in Qi, TCMA guys will be offended. When I said that TCMA training method is better than the modern training method, the MMA guys will be offended. No matter what I have said, my opinion always offend people in both worlds.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-15-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Many people on this forum know me already. Here is my website:

http://johnswang.com

Thanks and you sure very successful in SC.
    Congratulation!

I certainly can learn SC from you since you are the expert.

Since you ask, I'll share my opinion on these 3 subjects.

Thanks!

1st, the 点穴(Dian Xue) skill requires to develop finger tip strength. In the Zimen system, the way to develop it is to put 2 iron boards on both side of your head when you sleep on the bed. When you rotate to one side, you put your 5 finger tips on the iron board and remain your elbow to hang in the air. when you turn around, you then train the other hand. The training is just too hard. I don't mind to train 10 hours daily, but when I sleep, I don't want to train.

Boy, this is hard stuffs. and it is going brute force. I doubt this type of training.

2nd, as far as 小周天(Xiao Chou Tien) or 大周天(Da Chou Tien), I find it has little or nothing to do with combat. I didn't know that when I was young. But the older that I'm, the more that I realize that ancient Chinese tried to mix "health", "spiritual development", with "combat". It's a big distraction for the "combat" skill/ability development.

I have a different experience with you.

both xiao chou tien and da chou tien aid and condition one's body very well for power generation handling.

in fact, xiao chou tien even strenghten the spine and the neck.
    and Da chou tien make mobility easy and smooth.

Xiao Chou Tien, Da Chou Tian is all about Mind-body development got nothing to do with spiritual.

The chinese due to humble and dont like to show off talk about health cultivation. It is true that with the attainment of Xiao Chou tien and Da Chou Tine, one's health will be restore . however , the bi-product which is power and ability for combat always not mention.

For example, the Zimen training above, for those who has alread attain Da Chou Tian will take it as unreasonable and against nature and also stupid. That type of training is similar to decorate up a car with all kind of hard decoration but got nothing to do with the acceleration and the strenght of the car engine and platform.

In SLT, one uses the snake engine to cultivate the short pulse injection which in WCK is called short Jin. and that is not a local stuff but a whole body transformation with the fast acceleration of the body and transfer the high density force into the target. so it doesnt do those Zimen hard and brute force stuffs which will ruin human body. and violate the nature.

not to mention, those type of train are good only for those who has strong healty body. never for a weaker person. and even the strong healthy person train it, it will cause problem with their circulation.

3rd, Fajin, Chinese Fajin always emphasis to strike on the thin air. IMO, if you can't Fajin on a heavy bag, your Fajin is not real. Boxer never used the term Fajin. There striking power is not any less than the TCMA guys.

That is not Fajin at all. Fajin can be done to anything and any part of the body.

Your comparison with the boxer and the TCMA guys are not practical.

Take the same boxer. if the boxer is given the process and training of fajin, his power will surely and certainly increase by 2x or even 5x. that is the reality.

That is the reason when people visit me, if I find them trustworthy and good compassionate person, I give them the process and ask them to train and see for themself what is the result. the best way is to lead one to improve oneself, no fighting is needed, nothing needs to be proof. it is similar to everyone knows nueclear bomb is destructive, there is no need to prove it is destructive.
    But the process is not for sale and not for making money.

In ancient WCK, it is said that the short power strike at the front of the body and bust the back of the body. That is how powerfull it is for the real deal.

You may call me "banana - yellow ouside but white inside" (I think you know this term).

For me, I have friend who is Chinese but extremely westernize and deny chinese culture. I have friend who is White but extremely knowledgeble in Chinese ancient culture.

so, where do you grow up and educate?

TCMA guys treat me as a MMA guy because I like "cross training". MMA guys treat me as a TCMA guy because I don't train boxing, wrestling, MT, and I love the TCMA training method.

When I said that I don't believe in Qi, TCMA guys will be offended. When I said that TCMA training method is better than the modern training method, the MMA guys will be offended.

I have no issue with cross training. I have no issue with MMA because I start with Judo when I was teenage, practice Kyokushin.... beside TCMA.

No one have to believe in anything. believe is just a thought which people always think.

My bottom line is simple, describe what is it and how is it done. There is no TCMA or modern training method, for me, it is just does the training making sense?

Any one could experience Qi and make use to it if one is train by a legitimate teacher who knows it. Saying there is Qi or there is NO Qi before one has deep investigate or training in it is just off the mark.

No matter what I have said, my opinion always offend people in both worlds.
    for me,
    It doesnt matter for what others think. the key is could one cash what one said.

From you background, it seems that you have a very good health since young and your true background is SC and following GM Chang Dong-Shen's path.

I have seen people who is weak/sick and cant do heavy spot but with ancient TCMA cultivation gaining health back and earning martial capability. So the incident such as Chen Man-Ching who heal himself and become a great figther are real. Those type of training doesnt take the western spot direction but very TCM based training. There are different paths in this world and Ancient TCMA path really has its magic.

The Shao Lin Yi Jing jing, the Emei 12 Zhuang, the Taiji, the Six healing Sound, the bone marrow washing, the standing post...... all are real deal. the problem is does one meet a real deal sifu to coach one to get the result.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Are you sure your accusation and judgement towards me is correct? Find out more before making up judgement is a way to avoid mistake and looking foolish.
    Dude, did I 'accuse' you of anything?? You do realize that I was just responding to what I read don't you??

I am a student of the late Chan Patriach Hsuan Hua and I am a follower of the late Ma Li-Tang the internal TCMA expert in China.
    Of course I know you have learnt Wing Chun from the Yik Kam lineage (?) although this is still a question as I thought I read somewhere else that you learnt Cho Ga too (correct me by all means!)

Apart from still not showing us any Wing Chun you have done little more than bore me again Hendrik!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Hendrik.... I pondered a lot on whether to comment on this thread but decided to put in my two cents.

First of all, I believe you already know that I am Chinese, born and raised in China, and learned my kung fu there as well. I also have a background in Chinese philosophy, Chinese Medicine and Chinese herbs like you, and so have an upbringing very similar to you.

I can understand where you are coming from and some of your postings, but I need to point a few things out.

First of all, you need to realize and to remember that how kung fu is taught here in the western world is very different from how it is taught in China. Back in China, kung fu is taught as part of our culture and it becomes our way of living day-to-day, and is richly immersed with religion, Chinese medicine, philosophy, and martial arts; kuen kuets present philosophies that we end up using as part of how we live. However, in the western world, kung fu is more of a combative sport and emphasis is mainly on the physical, fighting aspects, and lesser of the other components. Neither way is totally right nor totally wrong - they are both different, extreme, and unique. One should not impose either approach on the other, but respect the other for what they are meant to be. There is much to be learnt from each other.

Secondly, the medicinal part where you describe the deficiencies of the kidney, 小周天(Xiao Chou Tien) or 大周天(Da Chou Tien), Jing, and other aspects of the human physiology according to Chinese Medicine forms a critical part of our health, again from a Chinese perspective. True that we Chinese believe in internal conditioning as a necessity to physical conditioning, but the approach is very different from things here in the west where physical conditioining is the first and formost. From a western perspective, the human physiology is very different and westerners adopt a very different approach - I definitely know this as I work with a lot of MDs, Oncologists, and western healthcare practitioners all the time. In the Chinese aspect, this physiological part is deeply engrained in our kung fu training, but not so in the western world - the focus there is more on the physical strength, muscular physique, conditioning, etc. Again, different points of view, both correct from their own perspective.

Thirdly, WCK and kung fu training, or shall we use it in your terms, "TCMA". Everyone aligns their kung fu education with key factors, including (not necessarily in this order) (a) the sifu they are able to find/study with, (b) their personality, (c) the availability of the martial art near where they are located, (d) their religion, (e) their cultural background, (f) their individual reasons why they want to learn kung fu and how they want to use it, and (g) other unique personal reasons of their own. With this in mind, everyone's level of pursuit into the martial arts is different, and from their own perspective they are all doing the right thing. There are folks on this forum who share their experiences and shed light onto the many different paths that may exist, so that individuals know what options there are or may be. And then there are those whose only interest is to cause trouble, act arrogant, and belittle others with condescending posts. And that's all part of what a forum like this will be like.

I needed to put this post because I feel that people may start getting a bad taste in their mouths as discussions go on. There have been past posts by a variety of people that you, I, and others have addressed as egotistical, close-minded, etc. But, when I read your posts in this thread and how you are so adamant that people walk the 2-door way you describe or else they really don't know the kung fu way, then with all due respect I feel that you come across as falling into the same condescending category as well. Which makes you not that much different from those people. And judging from your past posts, I don't believe you are such, but of course I could be wrong.

We need to realize that, yes there are differences between the kung fu path that people treat both in the western world as well as in China, and I think it is great that you are trying to enlighten people with what the differences are. But I feel you also need to respect other people's perspective if they do not agree with what you are saying, and just move on. Otherwise, you may inadvertently be leaving a bad taste in people's mouth.

After all, a discussion forum is after all... a forum for discussion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and healthy discussions and debates should always be encouraged.
    Last edited by ntc; 05-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...

Hendrik.... I pondered a lot on whether to comment on this thread but decided to put in my two cents.
    Great!

and the following is my view.

I understood your view as to make friend with everyone.

If what was brought up is an opinion/perspective you are right and I am totally in agreement with you. but what was brought up if it is a fact then one has to face it instead of shooting the messenger.

The issue is are we mature up to the level of identify what was brought up is an opinion/perspective or it is a fact?

May be you want to do a research and find out is that two doors my opinion/perspective/approach or it is a mile stone of advance TCMA, that way whether I am imposed my approach to others or I am just a messager relay what is going on is clear by itself.

also, up to now, you have not brought up an alternative of the two doors, but focus on how you feel I am not respecting others. That for me is off mark but i accept your view as it is. I would like to see anyone to brought up an alternative of the two doors and discuss. otherwise, the only thing solve is " we need to pad each others back so we all feel great" but the SLT training is remain not working.

as you suggest, I do move on with those who is not in the same wave length.
    I might disagree but I never against. I argue with reasons and data with those who is in the same wave length not to win the argument but toward clarify the subject.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-16-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ntc View Post
    Hendrik.... I pondered a lot on whether to comment on this thread but decided to put in my two cents....
    I for one am glad you did put in your two cents

Possibly one of the most sound and balanced views concerning TCMA/Western comparison I have seen in a very long time, so thank you for contributing.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Good post NTC.

Hendrik-NTC is not trying to make friends with everyone.. he does not need to.

Ditto for me too... about seeking friendship and agreement.

This is just a chat list.... with a considerable amount of noise.

joy chaudhuri

Blog Entries
    A christian tries to convert a muslim will be as hard as a muslim tries to convert a christian. Both may just waste time and effort. Same as a Qi believer vs. non-Qi believer. Most members in this forum just want to share their opinions. They don't want to be told what to do (myself included). Sometime it's better just to accept the opinions difference and move on.

YouKnowWho --> I could not agree with you more
    The more you know, the more you find you don't know...