Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of motivation

Loss of motivation

never thought i would ever be saying this,but recently(past 5or 6 months) have lost motivation to train. i still do something daily but not with the ferver or concentration or anticipation i had last year. my job only requires a few hours a night f my attention so i have all day long to do what i need.for 3 years straight i trained at least 3 hr a day,and i think this is what helped me to advance so fast,as i was excited all the time and couldnt wait to train. now i am kinda lazy.
    anyone else ever experience this??? if so did you overcome it??? how??

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Get beat up. I do not like getting beat up (=motivation) so I train very hard

Blog Entries
    A short term goal such as a

- tournament
    - workshop
    - performance

in 6 months will be helpful. If you don''t want to look like a fool in the public eyes, you will push yourself and train harder.

Another way is trying to develop certain skill in 6 month. A spin hook kick, flying knee, flying side kick, hip throw, leg lifting throw, ... will all be a good choice.

Your life will pass day by day whether you train or not. It's better to have something out of your training than to have nothing.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-10-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Yeah, doing 3 hrs a day is a good way to get burnt out Bro.

Quality of quantity brother, that is the way.
    Moderation = longevity.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    Seriously, i think we all go through this. I'm sure there are a few people, myself included, that have pondered leaving gung fu or stopping your training for a while. You just need to change gears for a minute, maybe pick up something else non martial to do or even learn or focus on a different aspect of your training. sometimes going back to basics helps as well.

If you've been doing gung fu for a long time, you can never just walk away from it. So, give it some time, watch some gung fu movies, look at others train, or whatever. but my sifu would always tell me that would be the best time to train..when you don't really feel up to it. OR, what about a partner? do you have someone to help you train?
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Doing stuff OUTSIDE of Kung fu for a bit well help.
    I don't see how doing more training when doing too much is the problem, will help.
    Honestly, you've done strength training, you know the signs of when it is time to take a break.
    Fact is when we NEED to convince ourselves to train, that is a problem and the root of it is usually boredom or over training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yes. I usually schedule things for a time frame.

or with some specific goals in mind.

this way, it would be easy to attain a certain goal. the reward and motivation is to get there.

--

but sometimes it is important to have a break or downtime for training, too.

--

I am active, anyway.

--

sports, swim, walking, lifting weight, --

they are not training per se. but keep you fit--

--

Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    never thought i would ever be saying this,but recently(past 5or 6 months) have lost motivation to train. i still do something daily but not with the ferver or concentration or anticipation i had last year. my job only requires a few hours a night f my attention so i have all day long to do what i need.for 3 years straight i trained at least 3 hr a day,and i think this is what helped me to advance so fast,as i was excited all the time and couldnt wait to train. now i am kinda lazy.
    I think all of us will experience this some point.

Here's a post I wrote about motivation not too long ago:

Training Motivation

Hope it helps!

donjitsu really enjoyed the article. i looked around your blog site and it has good info it. we r working on ours over at www.theironlotussociety.com
    thanx everyone who replied. you all gave me info that will help me. see this is what this forum is for,help and encouragement.
    i think i will go outside and break something,eat 2 double cheesebugers a protein drin and watch "ip man the legend is born"

It is very simple and a few here and implied it in their posts:

All you need is a goal to work towards.

- Pick a new skill or level of skill you wish to achieve and formulate a plan to get there.

- Pick more than one. Learn a new skill or martial art.

- Try something different than what you have learned: Judo, Aikido, Aikijujutsu, Escrima, Kendo or Kenjutsu, Kyudo, MMA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Try something different than what you have learned: Judo, Aikido, Aikijujutsu, Escrima, Kendo or Kenjutsu, Kyudo, MMA, etc.
    bah - don't be a wus! try crochet, sewing, knitting, macramé - man up!

-----

teetsao: sometimes you need to back off to get some perspective; one thing to ask yourself, is what is your underlying motivation for practicing? is it the experience in general, or some sort of specific goal? perhaps your original motivation for studying no longer is relevant to you as the person you are now, and so you may need to explore that, in order to understand what about practice is satisfying to you;

the other thing, is that maybe there is something going on in your life outside of your practice that is contributing to your lack of motivation? for example, you mention your job - is it satisfying? it sounds like it's not very challenging / engaging for you (maybe I am wrong); perhaps your dissatisfaction w your job / career is manifesting in lack of motivation in general - of course, i could be way off base, but just an example of how considering the big picture may help you understand this change...

my program to fix anything that sucks.

step 1: find some hot tail

step 2: seduce hot tail

step 3: bang hot tail

step 4: repeat as neccessary

step 5: feel invigorated

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    have lost motivation to train ...
    If you have people constantly knock on your door and challenge you, you will never have the feeling that you have. Trying not to be beaten up by a 20 years old will be enough motivation for you to train for the rest of your life.

Old Chinese saying said, "If you don't train for 3 days, your hands and legs will no longer be yours". You just can't afford to "lose motivation to train".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    bah - don't be a wus! try crochet, sewing, knitting, macramé - man up!
    I did all that when I was kid, well not sewing, but my grandmother taught me all the other stuff!

It is old lady Qigong!

Rod,
    Hang in there ! Everyone that has been in kung fu for many years will share that at certain points we all go thru slumps. Watch some shaw bros, whatever get your self something that gets you thinking about training agian. It will come back to you in time. Don't worry it happens to alot of peeps.

ginosifu