Thread: Looking for advice on a good heavy bag and other training equipment

Looking for advice on a good heavy bag and other training equipment

I trained for a while and have been stagnant the past two or three years and want to get some basic equipment and start working out more than I have been. I mainly trained in Wing Chun with some Jujitsu and Thai boxing thrown in.

Some items I am looking at right off the bat is a heavy bag, reflex bag and that type of stuff. I have a Mook in storage and will try to put that in my garage if I can free up the space but for the time being what are some good options available now to help get back in the groove of things?

Heavy Bag:
    I used to use a 80 lb bag and it was fine but I like the 100 lb bags or the Thai 100 lbs bags. One question is there a negative to a heavier bag like more injuries or joint damage or does it not really matter? Of course will be used to strike with hands and feet. Anything I should look for as far as brand and material goes? I would like to be able to hit it with Escrima sticks.

Reflex Bag:
    I saw a bag with a heavy base and a poll with a spring on it and it seems neat but have any of you use it and recommend it? I'm sure a normal bag would be fine but if you don't have the place to put up a regular bag then something like this seems like a good option.

Speed Bag:
    Not much to this I guess I don't know yet if I will have a wall I can mount it to but does anyone have advice on what to get or use for a speed bag?

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    see the post for "Bag work" in this section.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

i would get a 100lb bag as its at least a little bit easier to work without someone holding it. i'd just really focus on proper technique and tape your wrists as necessary (just recently i was wondering if anyone had tried using wrist wraps instead of tape for bag work ... input appreciated). if you find your wrists folding far too often, then they are weak ... make them stronger. research grip strength and start implimenting a few exercises at a time (john brookfield has some excellent books on this). i dont think its possible to have a strong grip and weak wrists. once your wrists are strong use tape when you are going balls to the wall in spite of technique and avoid using tape when you are pacing yourself and working on form.
    where's my beer?

Something that sounds bad but works good...

Saw down a hickory tree. Saw it up until you find a log that resembles the length, width, and the like...that you want. Wrap it up tight with cheap egg foam (less is better, but...). Then, wrap it up tight again in a burlap sack or two. Be sure to use at least three or four woodscrews at the top, triangled or squared. Secure it and hang it.

Sounds weird, but costs a lot less, gives a lot less, and develops a lot more in a shorter period of time.

Thanks for the info guys. My grip strength is pretty good, while not the best idea I used to not use any hand wraps with a heavy bag. I may need some conditioning but my grip is better now than it was a few years ago.

I like the log idea but I'm not sure if I can find the wood where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    Cool, I'll check the store out for sure.