Thread: A bit disappointed

A bit disappointed

Today was a long crappy day but I had class tonight. I got in to class and my training buddy told me he had to drop out of the local MMA fight. His boss told him no and said if he was hurt they wouldn't help or something. I told him what business is it of theirs but he said he already told the people in charge. Another guy I train with still plans to do it but im not sure if it will happen. Brandon has been in many fights and did security at some rough bars in the area I think he would have done well so I am a bit upset he even told his coworkers. I told him just do it how are they to know unless they go. Anyway our other guy a student of ours still plans to do this so I am going to do my best to support him in it. Im thinking depending on how it goes if they do it again next year I may try to get a couple of our guys together and even go myself. I would like to work my ground game a bit more in case but I have no one to train with who has much experience there. All my cousins are gone so I can't ask them for help.

Also during class Brandon informed me our guy got into a bar fight.... I hadn't noticed but he was sporting a small crescent moon shaped black eye. I asked what happened and he said he and a guy were talking then they got into an argument but he doesn't remember what about. He said both were a bit buzzed and then the guy hit him. He said he just turned and chain punched him. Every time his fist left his face he said he could see a bruise already swelling up. He then said I didn't realize just how strong these punches actually are but he laid the guy out after several successful blows. He also tonight received his certificate for completing levels 1 & 2. Brandon and I have taught him everything we can and he then graded with our Sifus Master Jerry & Ronda Bolding. We just handed out Sashes and certificates for the grading we had in April.

Our guy seems really upbeat about this MMA fight im just upset Brandon's boss told him no. Of course I doubt they will get seriously hurt but this is an amateur fight and there is no prize for winning a fight. We sparred a bit tonight and he started to use his elbow and stopped then said oh can't use that in the fight. I told him before if you get disqualified so be it. I really wanted Brandon to fight and record it all. Brandon is one level below becoming an instructor.
    Last edited by wolf3001; 05-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.

I feel sorry for your friend, I am curious, why did your friend ask his boss for permission for this fight? Surely what he does outside working hours is up to your friend. I mean there are so many activities which can injury oneself outside work. Playing football, mountain biking, rock climbing, even golf. Does his need to ask his boss if he can play golf on his day off?

The story is pretty hard to follow, but I'm presuming the guy's boss might have been sponsoring him or giving him time off work to train or something.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    I feel sorry for your friend, I am curious, why did your friend ask his boss for permission for this fight? Surely what he does outside working hours is up to your friend. I mean there are so many activities which can injury oneself outside work. Playing football, mountain biking, rock climbing, even golf. Does his need to ask his boss if he can play golf on his day off?
    Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    The story is pretty hard to follow, but I'm presuming the guy's boss might have been sponsoring him or giving him time off work to train or something.
    He didn't ask or take time off I think they just over heard him talking about it. He has been really talking about it lately and I am guessing they just told him they wouldn't accept any time off if he was injured or support any insurance crap I don't really know. But to me it's stupid it's an amateur fight and I highly doubt any serious issues. I just hope Juan sticks with it and we can go support him if this becomes a yearly thing this is the second fight they have held then I may try to get our guys in it from now on. Most of our people aren't even to Chum Kiu yet and many are to young really.
    Last edited by wolf3001; 05-25-2011 at 04:07 PM.