Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why all zones should be practiced.

Hybrid View

The state that resembles a middle finger.

why all zones should be practiced.

So, why should we practice all area's of fighting? Why do people become "comfortable" in a certain zone and not think they should expand? Being younger I thought that what i learned was "enough." Never taking into consideration that pressure against my offense was going happen. Humbling in most senses I found that traveling around to other schools and placing myself in difficult positions presented me with a clear view of why we should do just that. Place ourselves in "uncomfortable" positions.

Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries
    If you are a computer programmer, 30 years ago all you have to do is to be able to design

- DB2 database,
    - Microsoft Word,
    - DOS operating system,

Today if you want to get a job in the computer programmer field, you have to be able to design

- Google search engine,
    - website,
    - virus protection,

I have never expect people used "pull guard" or "jump guard" before. The day that someone did that to me, the day that I started to train how to deal with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUn8_sCRRI

The reason that we train is to handle the modern world challenge. Today we have to deal with different kind of challenge than our ancestor had to. We may not like to "evolve" but we don't have choice.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-14-2011 at 01:28 AM.

i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

We seldom learn when we're in the most comfortable of places. It's often through struggle that all manner of ordeals are presented to us and we are asked to overcome.

edit: in the words of Depeche Mode, "Suffer Well"

In the words of Dodgeball...

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

i dont like ground fighting and im not gonna learn ground fighting. for 10 thousand years people decided if you hit the ground u lose for very good reasons.

ground fighting makes no sense. whole premise of vale tudo makes no sense.

i got intersted in high school because i watched a lot of ufc. i lost all interest after i learned about all that steroid abuse.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-15-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    So, why should we practice all area's of fighting? Why do people become "comfortable" in a certain zone and not think they should expand? Being younger I thought that what i learned was "enough." Never taking into consideration that pressure against my offense was going happen. Humbling in most senses I found that traveling around to other schools and placing myself in difficult positions presented me with a clear view of why we should do just that. Place ourselves in "uncomfortable" positions.

Any thoughts?
    Orr, A.H., (2005) The Genetic Theory of Adaptation
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/pphil/cours...ch/orr2005.pdf

From an article about strength and conditioning, applicable to combat training.
    http://www.8weeksout.com/2011/03/01/...-of-intensity/
    Getting caught up in all the details of training, it can be easy to lose sight of the big picture and forget that your body doesn’t care if you have big or small muscles, a high or low bodyfat percentage, or how many pull ups or kettlebell swings you can do. The only thing your body really cares about is its own survival.
    On the most fundamental level, it is this innate drive of the body to stay alive and maintain equilibrium within all of its many systems that creates the opportunity for performance and/or physique improvements to be made. Adaptation to various training stimuli is nothing more than the body’s defense mechanisms at work, plain and simple.
    You place a stress on the body by lifting weights, doing some form of cardiovascular exercise, etc., and the body in turn responds to this stress by adapting to it so that it is better suited to handle this stress the next time. The exact adaptations that take place, of course, depend on the specific type of training stress that you put your body under, but the end result is the same. The next time you train, the body is now better equipped to meet the physical demands you are placing on it.
    Because of the body’s increased preparation, the same level of training now presents a relatively lower level of physical stress on the body and the body’s defense mechanisms will not be called into action like before. In order to continue to see results, you inevitably have to place a greater stress on the body to once again force it to respond by adapting.
    This process of repetitive stress and adaptation provides the underlying foundation for improved performance as well as general health and fitness. And it is this incredibly adaptability of the human body in response to physical stressors that keeps us all alive in the first place.
    We control to a certain extent the level of stress we place on ourselves. The tendency being towards working in a less stressful environment, i.e. we tend to train our strengths and avoid or diminish our weaknesses. Ideally we should be placing ourselves under greater stress where we are weakest while maintaining our strengths.

There is a trick though:
    First we must identify our strenghts and weaknesses and then overcome our weaknesses VIA our strenghts.
    EX:
    If your strength is striking ( and that means one of 2 things:
    You have KO power and/or you strike better than you do anything else) then you must overcome your weakness ( ex: ground work) by adapting your strenghts to WORK in THAT area.
    You don't become a grappler, you become a striker that can strike withing the grappling context: Clinch hitting, "dirty boxing", GnP.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    So... eat bitter.
    Eating bitter goes without saying at this point. To be precise; eat bitter where you are weakest. If you are already eating sh*t, eat worse sh*t.

Unless one's strength is eating sh*t. Then time is better served adapting to putting a warm, moist dent in a musty Laz-E-Boy emptying the contents of a pallet of Hot Pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There is a trick though:
    First we must identify our strenghts and weaknesses and then overcome our weaknesses VIA our strenghts.
    EX:
    If your strength is striking ( and that means one of 2 things:
    You have KO power and/or you strike better than you do anything else) then you must overcome your weakness ( ex: ground work) by adapting your strenghts to WORK in THAT area.
    You don't become a grappler, you become a striker that can strike withing the grappling context: Clinch hitting, "dirty boxing", GnP.
    You're talking about in situ combat tactics.

I am talking more about after you eat some knees in the clinch, you go to the gym and eat more knees in the clinch on purpose, work neck bridges, posture, escapes etc until you adapt and become at the very least nominally capable in the clinch.

Then, when competing, sparring, fighting off baseheads, whatever, you can work it into your tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

You're talking about in situ combat tactics.

I am talking more about after you eat some knees in the clinch, you go to the gym and eat more knees in the clinch on purpose, work neck bridges, posture, escapes etc until you adapt and become at the very least nominally capable in the clinch.

Then, when competing, sparring, fighting off baseheads, whatever, you can work it into your tactics.
    Oh yes, I agree, my point was that just because you HAVE to learn to fight while grappling, that doesn't mean you "give up" your striking if that is your strength.
    Although many do end up discovering that grappling is actually their strength.

Excellent point; maintenance is a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    IMO, kick-punch-wrap-throw-finish is very logic combat sequence. Whether your "finish" is arm bar, leg bar, choke, or just simple striking on your opponent's face will be all up to you.
    Thanks for the new sig line.

Why all zones should be practiced

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post

Any thoughts?
    Why all zones should be practice all area ' s of fighting ?
    To me theres punching range , kicking range and grappling range , if you can stop your opponent in each of these ranges of fighting then why not , it ' ll save you energy and time . then in this way you don ' t need to get tired .

Why do people become comfortable in a certain zone and not think they should expand ? Maybe because they think they stop their opponent at their own comfortable range , in other words they know that they can stop their opponent at the ranges that they want , without worrying about their opponent . Some people have a mean intuition that they can stop their opponent at the range they are comfortable with .

Being younger I though that what I learned was enough . Never taking into consideration that pressure against my offense was going to to happen . Humbling in most senses I found out that traveling around to view of why we should do just that . Place ourselves in uncomfortable position .

To me when you ' re young that ' s when you begin to learn about life in general , depends what age you in ? Martial arts is bascally a tool to defend yourself when the situation arises . Your opponent pushes you around , or punches you for no reason at all , what are going to do ? That ' s what you learn martial arts for to learn how to take care of yourself when you unexpectantly get yourself into this kind of situations . If you learn kenpo , kung fu , thai boxing or boxing , you can protect against someone pushing you around or being able to avoid the punch .
    If you like to kick your opponents' butt or rather fight with your legs than your hands then the korean arts will do you good or you would rather choke or tie your opponent on the ground then you know that both wrestling and grappling is good .

Uncomfortable position like when you ' re sitting on the ground , you can use leg take downs or sweep the opponent off the ground , or you can come up with your own individual ideas . When you learn the combative and ground fighting arts , that is mentioned in this thread , you learn to handle yourself in any range .
    Your moves can be countered so use your imagination when you are training for your life in general .

Why do people become comfortable in a certain zone and not think they should expand ? Maybe because they think they stop their opponent at their own comfortable range , in other words they know that they can stop their opponent at the ranges that they want , without worrying about their opponent . Some people have a mean intuition that they can stop their opponent at the range they are comfortable with .

most of what you said above I agree with. only thing I have to say is that people whom think they can stop anyone at range find that they end up on there back side and negate all they have put time and effort into perfecting. Mean intuition goes only so far. I'm not sure if you were stating the above quote as such or opposite.

anyways thanks for reply.

We have seen the likes of Chuck Lidell and Randy Couture, amongst others, as fighters that have a preference for a certain range and what happens to them when they get caught outside that range OR even when they get bested in THAt range.

Always good to have more than one way to lick a *****.