Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: why all zones should be practiced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i dont like ground fighting ...
    Ground "finish" moves are more than just arm bar, leg bar, and choke. Many TCMA skills can be applied there too. Moves such as:

- smash the back of your opponent's head on the hard ground when he falls.
    - drop your sharp elbow on the back of your opponent's head, heart, rib area, ...
    - drop your knee on your opponent's chest, stomach, groin area, ...
    - kick the back of your opponet's head when he is down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTR5KU3xwls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJfX...eature=related
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-15-2011 at 07:17 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    in stand up fighting when you get taken down you lose. ground fighting is more forgiving because you keep fighting.
    I guess it would come down to your perception of "lose" in the end. As for being more forgiving I wouldn't go that far. GNP, hyperextensions of joints, and choke to the point of death is not very "forgiving" in my book.

Just curious is this a chinese honor thing? I've read some of your stuff before about the concept of ground fighting and how it is viewed in that culture. You eluded to such things or I might have taken it wrong.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Ground "finish" moves are more than just arm bar, leg bar, and choke. Many TCMA skills can be applied there too. Moves such as:

- smash the back of your opponent's head on the hard ground when he falls.
    - drop your sharp elbow on the back of your opponent's head, heart, rib area, ...
    - drop your knee on your opponent's chest, stomach, groin area, ...
    - kick the back of your opponet's head when he is down.
    this is what i'm talking about here. why not add to the "tool" bag. Most guys when they hit the ground have no idea what to do and flip about like a fish out of water. grappling in what ever sense gives you a conception of control, gives you a calmer persona when confronted with this area and you are able to capitalize on it. Either in different strikes or being able to move to gain leverage of said striking, or just to get up so you can strike again. It's a win win to know this. But it still amazes me that many in the traditional community tend to think it won't happen. That they are safe in their perseption of the fighting arts enough to believe that it won't happen when a very high percentage of fights go to the ground.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Just curious is this a chinese honor thing? I've read some of your stuff before about the concept of ground fighting and how it is viewed in that culture. You eluded to such things or I might have taken it wrong.
    in a lot of traditional combat sports, the number one purpose is entertainment. ground fighting is extremely boring to watch. the second one is to prove your toughness and manliness. in a lot of cultures crawling on the ground is not considered manly. straddling another man is not manly.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-15-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    this is not a chinese thing, ...
    Agree with you 100% there. My teacher told me that there was a Chinese wrestling master who loved to wear a white sock on one foot while had normal shoe on the other. In the wrestling match, as soon as he got hold on his opponent, he would give his leading leg to his opponent to grab. No matter how his opponent handled his leading leg, he could always make his opponent to flip over his leading leg. After the wrestling match, he could show to the audience (Chinese loved to watch wrestling matches) that his white sock had no dirt on. Today, people may not understand how much skill that involved to be able to do that. Through the entire wrestling match, he was standing on one leg all the time. That kind of good old day will never come back.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-15-2011 at 08:07 PM.

all fights end on the ground. when you knocked out you on the ground. when you get sweeped or taken down youre on the ground. when youre killed your on the ground. humans are naturally not comfortable on the ground. so all traditional wrestling and boxing in the WORLD says if you are on the ground you lose.
    i appreciate UFC giving me a wake up call but gracies were also trying to sell themselves. this "complete fighter" "alive training" is all bullsh1t.

i trained very little ju jitsu in high school. i permanently injured my spine trying to train with friends who were juicing. i almost quit martial arts forever. i lost 30 pounds of muscle in the aftermath. today im only 140 pounds. ground fighting is the most depressing and stupidest sh1t ive ever done. i kept trying to "save kung fu" when i should have been having fun with martial arts.

maybe mma is here to stay like baseball and football. maybe it will go like the hoola hoop, disco, limp bizkit. who knows. just train whatever you like. except wing chun. fuk wing chun up the ass.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-15-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    So all I have to do is knock you down and jump on top of you?
    all he has to do is not fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    all he has to do is not fight you.
    He can't anyway. I'm not real.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    He can't anyway. I'm not real.
    D@mn, i was tryna provoke something too...

.............i trained very little ju jitsu in high school. i permanently injured my spine trying to train with friends who were juicing. i almost quit martial arts forever. i lost 30 pounds of muscle in the aftermath. today im only 140 pounds. ground fighting is the most depressing and stupidest sh1t ive ever done. i kept trying to "save kung fu" when i should have been having fun with martial arts.
    May i refer you to celestial master for some fixin' up dude? You know who...CYMac. Maybe you have evil demon spirits haunting you and need exorcism.

PS: Your mom looks different.....

PS: Your mom looks different.....
    She lost a lot of weight from her Army Trong training!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

if you are a striker, you would KO the opponent asap. everything else is set up for that.

if you are a thrower, you throw the opppnent asap, everything else is set up for your throw.

if you are ground straddler, straddle on body, staddle on leg or straddle on arm etc

you straddle the opponent asap, everything else is a setup for your straddling.

yes, you like to train to be all around or all zones.

but you still want to focus on or hone in your strength or strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    So, why should we practice all area's of fighting? Why do people become "comfortable" in a certain zone and not think they should expand? Being younger I thought that what i learned was "enough." Never taking into consideration that pressure against my offense was going happen. Humbling in most senses I found that traveling around to other schools and placing myself in difficult positions presented me with a clear view of why we should do just that. Place ourselves in "uncomfortable" positions.

Any thoughts?
    Orr, A.H., (2005) The Genetic Theory of Adaptation
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/pphil/cours...ch/orr2005.pdf

From an article about strength and conditioning, applicable to combat training.
    http://www.8weeksout.com/2011/03/01/...-of-intensity/
    Getting caught up in all the details of training, it can be easy to lose sight of the big picture and forget that your body doesn’t care if you have big or small muscles, a high or low bodyfat percentage, or how many pull ups or kettlebell swings you can do. The only thing your body really cares about is its own survival.
    On the most fundamental level, it is this innate drive of the body to stay alive and maintain equilibrium within all of its many systems that creates the opportunity for performance and/or physique improvements to be made. Adaptation to various training stimuli is nothing more than the body’s defense mechanisms at work, plain and simple.
    You place a stress on the body by lifting weights, doing some form of cardiovascular exercise, etc., and the body in turn responds to this stress by adapting to it so that it is better suited to handle this stress the next time. The exact adaptations that take place, of course, depend on the specific type of training stress that you put your body under, but the end result is the same. The next time you train, the body is now better equipped to meet the physical demands you are placing on it.
    Because of the body’s increased preparation, the same level of training now presents a relatively lower level of physical stress on the body and the body’s defense mechanisms will not be called into action like before. In order to continue to see results, you inevitably have to place a greater stress on the body to once again force it to respond by adapting.
    This process of repetitive stress and adaptation provides the underlying foundation for improved performance as well as general health and fitness. And it is this incredibly adaptability of the human body in response to physical stressors that keeps us all alive in the first place.
    We control to a certain extent the level of stress we place on ourselves. The tendency being towards working in a less stressful environment, i.e. we tend to train our strengths and avoid or diminish our weaknesses. Ideally we should be placing ourselves under greater stress where we are weakest while maintaining our strengths.

There is a trick though:
    First we must identify our strenghts and weaknesses and then overcome our weaknesses VIA our strenghts.
    EX:
    If your strength is striking ( and that means one of 2 things:
    You have KO power and/or you strike better than you do anything else) then you must overcome your weakness ( ex: ground work) by adapting your strenghts to WORK in THAT area.
    You don't become a grappler, you become a striker that can strike withing the grappling context: Clinch hitting, "dirty boxing", GnP.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !