Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: why all zones should be practiced.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post
    So... eat bitter.
    Eating bitter goes without saying at this point. To be precise; eat bitter where you are weakest. If you are already eating sh*t, eat worse sh*t.

Unless one's strength is eating sh*t. Then time is better served adapting to putting a warm, moist dent in a musty Laz-E-Boy emptying the contents of a pallet of Hot Pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There is a trick though:
    First we must identify our strenghts and weaknesses and then overcome our weaknesses VIA our strenghts.
    EX:
    If your strength is striking ( and that means one of 2 things:
    You have KO power and/or you strike better than you do anything else) then you must overcome your weakness ( ex: ground work) by adapting your strenghts to WORK in THAT area.
    You don't become a grappler, you become a striker that can strike withing the grappling context: Clinch hitting, "dirty boxing", GnP.
    You're talking about in situ combat tactics.

I am talking more about after you eat some knees in the clinch, you go to the gym and eat more knees in the clinch on purpose, work neck bridges, posture, escapes etc until you adapt and become at the very least nominally capable in the clinch.

Then, when competing, sparring, fighting off baseheads, whatever, you can work it into your tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    IMO, kick-punch-wrap-throw-finish is very logic combat sequence. Whether your "finish" is arm bar, leg bar, choke, or just simple striking on your opponent's face will be all up to you.
    Thanks for the new sig line.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post

You're talking about in situ combat tactics.

I am talking more about after you eat some knees in the clinch, you go to the gym and eat more knees in the clinch on purpose, work neck bridges, posture, escapes etc until you adapt and become at the very least nominally capable in the clinch.

Then, when competing, sparring, fighting off baseheads, whatever, you can work it into your tactics.
    Oh yes, I agree, my point was that just because you HAVE to learn to fight while grappling, that doesn't mean you "give up" your striking if that is your strength.
    Although many do end up discovering that grappling is actually their strength.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Excellent point; maintenance is a necessity.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Oh yes, I agree, my point was that just because you HAVE to learn to fight while grappling, that doesn't mean you "give up" your striking if that is your strength.
    Although many do end up discovering that grappling is actually their strength.
    pretty much sums up what I was trying to get across. Meaning that learning how to grapple will give your striking better perspective.

I've pretty much always known my strength was grappling. Just always had a "nack" for it. Wrestling/JJ/Judo. But that never stopped me from going out and learning the stand up and traditional aspects of MA. I did not totally rely on my grappling skills to get me through. I went out and found the other Zones of MA and started learning them. It evened out the rough edges.

So why do Traditionalist get caught up in such dogma?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    The TCMA form training is the problem. The day that you give up your form training, the day that you will find "cross traing" is easier than you think. How hard can it be if you just mix jab, cross, hook, upper cut, ..., front kick, roundhouse kick, side kick, ... , single leg, double legs, hip throw, ..., arm bar, leg bar, choke, ..., as your daily training?

pretty much sums up what I was trying to get across. Meaning that learning how to grapple will give your striking better perspective.

I've pretty much always known my strength was grappling. Just always had a "nack" for it. Wrestling/JJ/Judo. But that never stopped me from going out and learning the stand up and traditional aspects of MA. I did not totally rely on my grappling skills to get me through. I went out and found the other Zones of MA and started learning them. It evened out the rough edges.

They don't.
    Don't confuse a traditionalist with a ****head

The tradition of virtually every MA is a tradition of fighting effectiveness.
    The developers of virtually every MA developed them to be effective in fighting and made whatever modifications and adaptions needed to KEEP them effective.
    That SOME asswipes ****ed that up has ZERO to do with tradition and everything to do with them being a bunch of pussies and to chicken **** to pressure test and evolve their MA.
    **** them and the horse they rode in on.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I would also like to add that the douchebags who talk about "tradition" and what Master this and Master that would have or did do fail to realize these masters of old would gladly learn new material to add to their arsenal, because this is how most modern Kung Fu systems originated. Not to mention their techniques were pressure tested and worked or they would not continue to study and perfect them.

Like Ronin said, don't get stuck in what these idiots and their "dogma" see as tradition. Even people with open eyes can be blind if they don't want to see.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

They don't.
    Don't confuse a traditionalist with a ****head

haha maybe i picked the wrong word for it then.

maybe i should have put that in " " instead.

but i got what your saying.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

theres something you might not know about me. i smoke crack.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    theres something you might not know about me. i smoke crack.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

theres something you might not know about me. i smoke crack
    well that explains it.

I believe looking at the overall format of Sanda can give good feedback as to where the "zones" of fighting should be. Punch (da), Kicks (ti), Throw (shuai), Submit (na) are the principles of Sanda as a fighting system. The key is to take your weakest area and work to improve as well as continuing to better and improve your strong areas.

Take into account these four zones and principles are used to describe the CQC of the Chinese military. The sport versions seem to focus more on the kickboxing and throwing aspect. But again, it provides a good base.

Why all zones should be practiced

So, why should we practice all area's of fighting? Why do people become "comfortable" in a certain zone and not think they should expand? Being younger I thought that what i learned was "enough." Never taking into consideration that pressure against my offense was going happen. Humbling in most senses I found that traveling around to other schools and placing myself in difficult positions presented me with a clear view of why we should do just that. Place ourselves in "uncomfortable" positions.

Any thoughts?
    Why all zones should be practice all area ' s of fighting ?
    To me theres punching range , kicking range and grappling range , if you can stop your opponent in each of these ranges of fighting then why not , it ' ll save you energy and time . then in this way you don ' t need to get tired .

Why do people become comfortable in a certain zone and not think they should expand ? Maybe because they think they stop their opponent at their own comfortable range , in other words they know that they can stop their opponent at the ranges that they want , without worrying about their opponent . Some people have a mean intuition that they can stop their opponent at the range they are comfortable with .

Being younger I though that what I learned was enough . Never taking into consideration that pressure against my offense was going to to happen . Humbling in most senses I found out that traveling around to view of why we should do just that . Place ourselves in uncomfortable position .

To me when you ' re young that ' s when you begin to learn about life in general , depends what age you in ? Martial arts is bascally a tool to defend yourself when the situation arises . Your opponent pushes you around , or punches you for no reason at all , what are going to do ? That ' s what you learn martial arts for to learn how to take care of yourself when you unexpectantly get yourself into this kind of situations . If you learn kenpo , kung fu , thai boxing or boxing , you can protect against someone pushing you around or being able to avoid the punch .
    If you like to kick your opponents' butt or rather fight with your legs than your hands then the korean arts will do you good or you would rather choke or tie your opponent on the ground then you know that both wrestling and grappling is good .

Uncomfortable position like when you ' re sitting on the ground , you can use leg take downs or sweep the opponent off the ground , or you can come up with your own individual ideas . When you learn the combative and ground fighting arts , that is mentioned in this thread , you learn to handle yourself in any range .
    Your moves can be countered so use your imagination when you are training for your life in general .

Why do people become comfortable in a certain zone and not think they should expand ? Maybe because they think they stop their opponent at their own comfortable range , in other words they know that they can stop their opponent at the ranges that they want , without worrying about their opponent . Some people have a mean intuition that they can stop their opponent at the range they are comfortable with .

most of what you said above I agree with. only thing I have to say is that people whom think they can stop anyone at range find that they end up on there back side and negate all they have put time and effort into perfecting. Mean intuition goes only so far. I'm not sure if you were stating the above quote as such or opposite.

anyways thanks for reply.