Thread: Animals of Wing Chun

Hybrid View

Animals of Wing Chun

It's great to see animals represented in Wing Chun, as I feel that it helps us connect more to our Traditional roots in Shaolin.

I learnt Snake, Crane, Tiger, Leopard and Dragon characteristics. Other Wing Chun systems replace the Dragon with Monkey, but the Dragon is definitely connected more to the Opera/Red Junks. Other Wing Chun systems use no animals at all, but the most famous are the Snake & Crane. Of course there is also that European 'Fox' in more recent accounts.

Do you have terms that reflect animal characters in your Wing Chun? Do you learn additional Animal Forms in your curriculum similar to other TCMAs from the South like Hung Gar, Choy Lee Fut or Cho Gar?

It would be good to hear your views and experiences
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

The Wing Chun single leg Crane Vs The Eagles Claw!!

It's me posturing with Sifu Julian Dale at The Martial Arts Show 2011

Ti Fei
    詠春國術

In our system we have Tiger Claw elements, such as using the claw to lap or to attack the throat. There are leopard fist and Dragon fist attacks as well. The essence of the Dragon itself is embedded within the system.

To my knowledge, there are no monkey elements in our system, but then I am not an advanced student, so there may be some of these aspects present, as well.

Animals in wing chun? Nah- not in mine... though some metaphors can help...though they can also confuse specially beginners without good tacit knowledge of wing chun.
    My wing chun includes some analysis of human joints and their roles in both stancing and motion.
    The Ng Mui mythical story of watching a snake and a crane should not be taken literally but can be useful in understanding, if taken metaphorically about fusing crane's and some crane system's fairly straight structure and some snake style energies and motions. Fast mouse stepping sometimes. Quick cat turns sometimes. But these can be practiced and taught without any reference to animals.

BTW-- I had no trouble understanding the crane step kick that Segal taught Machida and was used in knocking out Couture. Elements of it are there in one piece of footwork adapted from chum kiu.

joy chaudhuri

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    didn't know WC had any base of animals in it. Of course I've never trained in it and do not proclaim to know what it has.

most systems i'm familar with have 5 primary animals. dragon, crane, tiger, serpent, leopard.

Does WC have a set primer for these animals?
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    didn't know WC had any base of animals in it. Of course I've never trained in it and do not proclaim to know what it has.

most systems i'm familar with have 5 primary animals. dragon, crane, tiger, serpent, leopard.

Does WC have a set primer for these animals?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No- no set primers or sets and no dragons and tigers and leopards walking around-but Lone Tiger will probably think of something.

But lines and circles and angles and rhythms and timings and balances a plenty!

joy chaudhuri

[QUOTE=LoneTiger108;1096709]It's great to see animals represented in Wing Chun, as I feel that it helps us connect more to our Traditional roots in Shaolin.

Why is it great??

What makes you think WC has roots in Shaolin?

And how does this help WC as an effective self defense system?

Wouldn't it be "great" to try it out against other stlyes and situations than live in yesteryear???

Regards
    GlennR

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    And you didn't answer mine (questions)
    Reason being I had already 'given' you some answers and thought it would be covered as the thread moves forward...

Why is it great??
    "It's great to see animals represented in Wing Chun, as I feel that it helps us connect more to our Traditional roots in Shaolin."

What makes you think WC has roots in Shaolin?
    Because it DOES according to the verbal traditions of my own Sifu.

And how does this help WC as an effective self defense system?
    When we engage animal characteristics into our kung fu, it isn't just about this hand becomes a claw and this foot becomes a hidden tiger, it's also because we adopt the strategies of the animal which has already been studied in combat through early Shaolin study.

Having a snake strategy, for example, is great to protect someone else (like a bodyguard) because you will stand your ground and not be distracted, advancing and retreating back to your 'nest' quicker than the eye can see. Attacking the nervous system accurately so no follow through (ie. wrestling) is required, especially against group attacks. Expanding yourself to seem larger than you are to absorb the attack. All this stuff, and more, is related to the snake.

Wouldn't it be "great" to try it out against other stlyes and situations than live in yesteryear???
    Yes and no.

I feel that the WCK community would fair better if they exchanged within themselves first because it's very obvious from this forum and other research I have done that everyone is not on the same songsheet! Then we can gradually build programs that train the best of our fighters to go out into the MMA arena 'fully euipped' with the WCK toolbox (to coin an old TN phrase!) so the fighting that is projected and seen is WCK through and through.

That sort of skill level IS acheivable, but it all depends on whether people can work together, like around the World! And personally I think that will never happen unfortunately for the wannabe MMA fighters who leave WCK for better training
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-17-2011 at 05:05 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Yes and no.

I feel that the WCK community would fair better if they exchanged within themselves first because it's very obvious from this forum and other research I have done that everyone is not on the same songsheet! Then we can gradually build programs that train the best of our fighters to go out into the MMA arena 'fully euipped' with the WCK toolbox (to coin an old TN phrase!) so the fighting that is projected and seen is WCK through and through.

That sort of skill level IS acheivable, but it all depends on whether people can work together, like around the World! And personally I think that will never happen unfortunately for the wannabe MMA fighters who leave WCK for better training [/QUOTE]

Ok, got no problems in regards to your animal connection. Not my thing but if thats your thing full power to you

But youre wrong about the WC exchange program to help WC in the world of MMA
    While there's merit in cross training/ sparring with other WC, youll never achieve high results unless you mix it up with other styles.... especially the current MMA guys.
    GlennR