Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Animals of Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    First of all, let's start with your usumption that WSL taught in exactly the same manner as Ip Man. Wrong imho. WSL taught how he wanted to teach, and made further refinements he thought were required. He also taught the 'hardcore' westerner, which Ip Man did not, so his teaching would have been different. Now THAT makes sense

Secondly, you can't even answer my simple question without babbling on about nothing so please! Refering to things as 'junk' because you simply do not understand them is a bit childish, and WCK was not invented for kids y'know?

If you have nothing else to contribute here on this thread...
    I"m only repeating what I have read from interviews with Wsl and also from conversations with myinstructor. It is also based on discussions I've had in Hong Kong with people that were there mate so you can disagree all you like. I"m not bothered. I just like the forum entertainment.

I said same system not same manner. Get it right me old China. No pun intended. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I"m only repeating what I have read from interviews with Wsl and also from conversations with myinstructor. It is also based on discussions I've had in Hong Kong with people that were there mate so you can disagree all you like. I"m not bothered. I just like the forum entertainment.
    All is cool, and I'm not 'disagreeing' with you 'mate'. I'm simply questioning your reasoning for having no Animal references in your Wing Chun and you can not give me a sensible answer. You have none because others have said so. I have animals because my Sifu said so. It's all speculative in the end dude.

Seriously though, if you want to research the style I would venture outside Hong Kong but that's just a personal view.
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-19-2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Back to the thread...

Let's talk about 'legwork', or what most refer to as 'kicking' in Wing Chun. Look at this clip and tell me what you see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaC_ZtwuPM&NR=1
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Let's talk about 'legwork', or what most refer to as 'kicking' in Wing Chun. Look at this clip and tell me what you see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdaC_ZtwuPM&NR=1
    Nice one Spencer. Many people do not realize the importance of kicking in WC and wrongly think that this part of the art is "weak".

Going back to the video, we do such combinations a little differently, as we are taught to block and then attack with the same leg. We use blocks such as tan gerk, pong gerk and pack gerk, followed by a kick.

Thanks again for posting.

Look at this clip and tell me what you see...
    I see a demo, two big guys trying very hard not to hurt Carol, taking it in turns rather than both jumping on her at the same time, and exaggerating the effects on them of her kicks ... or legwork, or whatever you're calling it this week. Obviously she was trying not to hurt them, too.

She does appear to have some kicking skills, and it was a good demo as far as demos go.

Was there a prize for the nearest correct entry?

Why don't you tell us what you want us to see?
    Last edited by anerlich; 05-19-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Nice one Spencer. Many people do not realize the importance of kicking in WC and wrongly think that this part of the art is "weak".
    Yes legwork/kicking is an important factor of Wing Chun. A very important factor imho, but I wouldn't go so far to say many don't realize this. I think we all do but some just choose not to train it as much as the hands. Big mistake. That's why I liked the clip. Demo or not I think just moving at such a pace gives a good insight into the legwork on it's own.

AND, no matter what level your at you should understand that when you lift the leg/attack/defend bong, tan or fook gerk, as a Dragon, Crane,or even rooster, you are simply on ONE leg!

To even think that there is no single leg practise in Wing Chun is blindness.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

SNAKE style influence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eao5m...eature=related YKS Wing Chun.

or even rooster, you are simply on ONE leg!
    Classic!

To even think that there is no single leg practise in Wing Chun is blindness. :confused
    There isn't. It was invented by somebody who IMO did the most damage to Ving Tsun when he left Hong Kong. A lot of people jumped on the badwagon after his flase claims about being a closed door student of Ip Man.

If anybody reading this is thinking...well we have chi gerk.....yep....you have been fooled as well. You lucky people.

Stevie Wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    ....There isn't. It was invented by somebody who IMO did the most damage to Ving Tsun when he left Hong Kong. A lot of people jumped on the badwagon after his flase claims about being a closed door student of Ip Man.

If anybody reading this is thinking...well we have chi gerk.....yep....you have been fooled as well. You lucky people.

Stevie Wonder
    I'm actually curious who you're referring to. I know we have Chi Gurk in our system and it came down straight from the top. I know that Ho Kam Ming didn't pass along anything that he didn't learn from Ip Man himself. Not trying to start anything here, just curious what you're talking about?
    Matt

www.youtube.com/mvbrown25

Other than the obvious Wing Arm (Bong Sau) we use the term Monkey Grip when executing a Lap Sau. I have seen a few people grip the attackers arm with the thumb but I was always warned against this and we are told to use a Monkey grip. I really doubt that it has much to do with the Monkey system though. However from everything I have read on Wing Chun Ng Mui was a Crane practitioner. It has always been said that Wing Chun was heavily based on the Crane system Fujian White Crane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKkxj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnuW...eature=related

I have read that the White Crane system also influenced many systems of Karate. It is also said that Snake Style can be seen as an influence of Wing Chun. Because Wing Chun is said to be a mixture of other arts im going to guess that there are many animal characteristics but not all arts are considered animal systems. I wouldn't call Wing Chun an animal art it just contains animal based techniques here and there. I have even heard Pak Mei the White Eyebrow system has influence in Wing Chun it is believed by some that Pak Mei was one of the 5 Elders who escaped the temple. He is also regarded by some as a traitor supposedly but he may have had his reasons there are various stories. Pak Mei from what I have read is a very deadly art and was taught in secret for a long time because many regarded Pak Mei himself as a traitor.

I haven't studied many arts I did very little Tae Kwon Do as a kid I hardly remember much other than the basics. I own a book Kung Fu Elements and many other books. Chinese arts are a major influence to my fighting techniques. I throw in a lot of stuff into what I actually use in a fight. I use it in class while sparring my friends to help us learn how to deal with other things. I was taught Phoenix Eye strikes in class and we did some stuff with William Cheung over a weekend. I use leopard fist at times as I like it for various targets. I have even used a Crane Beak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUWpT_Pcf0
    Last edited by wolf3001; 05-22-2011 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mvbrown21 View Post
    I'm actually curious who you're referring to. I know we have Chi Gurk in our system and it came down straight from the top. I know that Ho Kam Ming didn't pass along anything that he didn't learn from Ip Man himself. Not trying to start anything here, just curious what you're talking about?
    Oooooooo and start another war of words??? Not today! It's Sunday and I'm praying to a false God like the rest of the population.

What do you think Chi Gerk brings to fighting??? I also used to practice Chi Gerk but like most things common to generic Wing Chun I don't anymore!!!

Chi Gerk only makes sense if one doesn't understand Chi Sau. The whole "sticky" idea is incorrect! I know that most people will protest that "chi" translates as sticky so arms stick to arms and legs stick to legs but IMO this is just another kung fu fallacy that people in silky pyjamas fool each other with!

If somebody is punching and kicking hell out of you your chi gerk skills will elude you like many other things that can happen in the Wing Chun training hall. If you are not convinced then try at and film it so I can see and if you can make it work then I would like to be taught it myself. I know that won't happen from experience.

GH

Matt

I see you have been posting on PB's website. If I were you I would take the advice that you were given on there. Maybe it won't be for you but I personally think it will be a positive move. At least you will have more of an idea of the WSL method.

Although I have never met Augustine Fong I did practice it under a student of his. It cost me a lot of money and wasted time. Maybe it wasn't a good representation of Fong's way, in which case I would ask why?, but there were many things that were how can I say it.........? Stupid!

My opinion of course before the Fong followers jump down my neck!!

GH

.......................................need I say more??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ui6rj58DA0

[QUOTE=Graham H;1098319]Matt

I see you have been posting on PB's website. If I were you I would take the advice that you were given on there. Maybe it won't be for you but I personally think it will be a positive move. At least you will have more of an idea of the WSL method.

Although I have never met Augustine Fong I did practice it under a student of his. It cost me a lot of money and wasted time. Maybe it wasn't a good representation of Fong's way, in which case I would ask why?, but there were many things that were how can I say it.........? Stupid!

My opinion of course before the Fong followers jump down my neck!!

------------------------------------------
    Same old same old repetitious drivel.
    Some more PB selling! And guilt by pseudo-association again--- studying under some unknown student of unknown ability .Fong sifu has no school in the UK.I have rolled with WSL twice-as I have rolled with several others IM first generation students-but I don't care to make catty comments on a chat list.
    BTW-You are not doing the late WSL and his reputation any favors.

joy