Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Monsters and other Weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao3 Meng4 View Post

It's doubtful that Nessie is/was an Eel; the largest Eel on record to date is only 5ft long and 15" around.
    There are eel like fish however that average larger. The electric eel (which isn't really an eel) averages about 6ft.

The problem with a Nessie isn't just lack of food. Its overall design. To accept a Nessie creature in the manner that believers propose requires you to disregard everything we see in nature. You are speaking of a creature which would presumably be at or near the top of the particular food chain since we've found nothing in the way of stomach contents of other creatures to suggest it would be prey. The problem is that it presents none of the morphology common to aquatic predators; stream lined body to reduce drag, fin set ill designed for rapid swimming, irregularly long neck structure that would cause issues with digestion, blood flow, temp regulation to head, etc. You could always say, "well we haven't found out everything and we are always finding new and weird creatures that don't follow the rules." But really, no we don't. In the aquatic world there are a number of creatures unchanged since the time of the dinosaurs. And they always follow the same general structure for, in this case assuming, a pelagic nektonic predator. You see torpedo like body, typically a backbone structure extending into a tail for more powerful stroke, etc.

There is a non fish organism it does somewhat resemble, the archaeoceti, in particular ambulocetus,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambulocetus
    Which is a line of early cetaceans. These mammals are what are believed to have transitioned from land back to water and evolved into modern whales, dolphins and porpoises. However, the neck is too short and well, we see that modern cetaceans follow the above characteristics of streamlined body and fish like fin structure (minus the fluke). And nevermind that cetaceans are marine not freshwater (except freshwater dolphin).

So you could say they are just a rare holdover from a past time whose numbers are now in decline. But if its this rare then how does it reproduce (especially in isolation such as Lake Champlain)? We are already seeing a number of issues in whales species along the lines of genetic defects and disease due to reduced genetic diversity from overhunting. How would such an organism survive this long in such reduced numbers?

Lastly, you could say that its just so deep dwelling we just haven't seen it. Well to that, most truly deep living organisms have very different structure than those of shallower depths. They are cartilagenous and have flabby muscle tone to survive the pressures. They are blind which would limit hunting in shallow depths. Most don't surface, the most notable to my mind being sturgeon, which is also cartilagenous but again has the typical tubelike shape even though in this case a bottom feeder. And assuming all this doesn't matter, it is a deep dwelling organism, how does it deal with pressure changes when surfacing? Lungs, swim bladders, etc would all be out of the question for an organism that is deep dwelling and simply surfacing (as opposed to say whales which are surface dwelling (relatively) and simply dive for feeding and such).

I just don't see how a creature like this could exist. It'd be cool if it did, but everything says otherwise.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 05-16-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    was enjoying thread until it was derailed with "clueless, agenda bound, conspiracy theory"

anyways, I've always been interested in the vast oceans that what, maybe 5% have been explored? As someone else pointed out about the giant squids and how they ernestly tried to say they didn't exist years back and now have specimens. Watched a whole show on discovery about them find a half live one off the coast of japan. Pretty interesting.

some of this vid was taken from a deep sea camera on a drilling expedition.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...YuFsbeAZmRm3TA
    The difference is though that we know squid exist. Its simply a matter of a bigger version of something we can readily find. A Nessie like creature on the other hand is a body morphology the world hasn't seen in about 50 million years (that we know of).

Blog Entries

LOOOOK Bush with a REAL alian ;)

Cats with Antlers? who would have thought?

Last edited by hskwarrior; 05-16-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Yep, Bush meets intelligent life.....LOL!

Science is discovering "new" species almost every year.
    Very cool.
    A smart scientist will say that they don't have enough evidence to support a conclusion, one way or another.
    A bad scientist will say that no evidence = no proof which means that it doesn't exist.
    Of course that very scientist will probably chew your ear off about dark matter, parallel universes and a range of other crap that there is NO evidence for but that they believe in.
    Science has never been the problem, bad scientists are the problem.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Very cool.
    A smart scientist will say that they don't have enough evidence to support a conclusion, one way or another.
    A bad scientist will say that no evidence = no proof which means that it doesn't exist.
    Of course that very scientist will probably chew your ear off about dark matter, parallel universes and a range of other crap that there is NO evidence for but that they believe in.
    We lose on average about 25 species a day.
    That is the natural cycle of things.

In fact, some 90% of all living creatures that ever existed on this planet are gone forever.

In a few hundred thousand years, we'll be gone too. That's just how it is here on sunny planet earth.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    We lose on average about 25 species a day.
    That is the natural cycle of things.

In fact, some 90% of all living creatures that ever existed on this planet are gone forever.

In a few hundred thousand years, we'll be gone too. That's just how it is here on sunny planet earth.
    Gotta respect Ma' Nature.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Very cool.

There's a TON of evidence for dark matter, actually. Just did some research on it for some analysis requirement.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There's a TON of evidence for dark matter, actually. Just did some research on it for some analysis requirement.
    Evidence is NOT proof as any scientist will tell you

Blog Entries
    Evidence is NOT proof as any scientist will tell you
    Even if its standing there right in front of them or sitting on their laps? Can I use that defense for Adultery? "i found a pair of panties in the back of the car with a used condom frank" and i say "Evidence is NOT proof" that i cheated! LOL

Yep, Bush meets intelligent life.....LOL!
    Hey, i read some confessions that in the governments archives is film of our past presidents posing with real Aliens who've visited earth. HERE is one video of a BUNCH of UFO's flying over Washington DC. One of the confessions i read was the reason why those UFO's appeared over Washington as you see in the video was because WE had an ALIEN that was alive but died in our custody.

The video of the UFO's was when the ALIEN's came to pick up their Alien Brother and take him back home. They appeared over the white house like that on purpose. But I guess we'll never really know until there is a FULL disclosure or a fukin real alien lands and says "WHHHHAAAAAAAATSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP P"
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 05-17-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Even if its standing there right in front of them or sitting on their laps? Can I use that defense for Adultery? "i found a pair of panties in the back of the car with a used condom frank" and i say "Evidence is NOT proof" that i cheated! LOL
    LMAO !
    All that proved was that someone got lucky and we all know it wasn't you Frank !

Blog Entries
    LMAO !
    All that proved was that someone got lucky and we all know it wasn't you Frank !
    Yup, PROVE IT! LOL.....(But i DO get that arse!)

Here's a thought: We are the aliens. Hybridized to suit this world.

A few different tries at it yielded all the different phenotypes and racial markers.

Tons of evidence to that end...no proof though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Here's a thought: We are the aliens. Hybridized to suit this world.

A few different tries at it yielded all the different phenotypes and racial markers.

Tons of evidence to that end...no proof though.
    Can I be the cool alien with the dreads, squid face, cool weapons and cloaking device?

Can I be the cool alien with the dreads, squid face, cool weapons and cloaking device?
    If that's what you would like to be, I'm sure there is a surgeon out there who will comply with your wishes if you got da kizzash mang! lol

I'll stick with this regular form I have. It's more comfortable and unlike any other on the planet.
    Kung Fu is good for you.