Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Music and training

dwid Guest

Music and training

Anybody have any ideas about different types of music and training?

I train primarily in Bagua, so much of what I do is necessarily in silence, but when I practice fighting techniques I've found, strangely, that Trance techno seems to really help me maintain technique while I increase speed. It's simple enough (generally little or no lyrics) that it isn't distracting, while supposedly by design oriented toward increasing one's heart rate, etc... This stuff is basically dance music with the twist that the good Trance is layered in complicated ways that, in my opinion, helps me stay in the moment - something not easy to do, as I'm still in the early stages of my training. Anyway, just want to see if anyone has any experiences to share with different kinds of music supplementing their training..

Paul DiMarino Guest
    I've done a couple spinning classes to techno-dance type stuff. The classes are intense aerobically and anaerobically, but that music keeps ya going.

wisdom mind Guest

great idea 4 topic

I use techno-genre music for maintaining a flow, like with aerobic type workouts and hardcore gangsta sh.t like M.O.P. for more intense workouts

i happen to produce electronic, hip hop and reggae music BTW:)

dwid Guest

great idea wisdom mind

I can see the gangsta stuff being oriented toward more power demanding stuff because of all the bass, but being less useful when fluidity is required. Thanks for the insight.

Mantis_Hand Guest
    looks like everyone agrees on the same thing. something i've gravitated towards is New York Style hardcore like Sick of It All and 25 Ta Life. Seek them out, agressive music with a definite rythm behind it to help keep you in rythm during your work out.

Zorak is an evil mantis

dwid Guest

Another one i hadn't thought of

That's interesting. I've been listening to punk/hardcore since high school but hadn't considered it for use in training. You guys are giving me some great ideas. Thanks a lot...

Paul DiMarino Guest
    MOP! Oh man. I forgot I even had some of their CD's. I met them once. It was a good experience for a skinny white kid. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mantis_Hand Guest

hardcore

Dwid,

I could kinda tell by the name... like integrity much?

Zorak is an evil mantis

dwid Guest

no way

Actually I got the nickname a long time ago and it just stuck. Every time I go to Cleveland I meet people who say "I thought you were bigger" or something like that. Actually, the Integrity Dwid is, from what I've heard, not so great a guy. From the violent stories that have come my way, he sounds like he could use some martial arts, not to fight, but to get some kind of balance. Regarding his music, I've never been too keen on Cleveland hardcore, though he did have a pretty funny song called "Misha".

wisdom mind Guest

ante up!

since there seems to be a niche of "hardcore" headz here Ill add this....

you can use the same mindset that one goes into before entering a mosh pit, not the kind at beasite boy show, but at a hardcore show, where fists and steelcapped docs are flying everywhere in pandamonium....the mindest I suppose could be equated to "no-mind" in the martial arts realm.

in this mental state, the mind is able to move the body with relative ease, generally with astounding results!

the music can be used by your mind as a focal reference point- a place to return to if you become aware of your mind straying.....

i was lifting weights last night at the gym and they were playing 60's rock....did not quite "push" me to work any harder, i need more in your face tunes.....but i go to a gym w/older adults, so i suppose 60's rock IS their hardcore;P

peace

Mantis_Hand Guest
    interesting point, wisdom. I train while listening to the slower bands that are more "groove" oriented. these have a definite rythm in mind as the dancing in New York is a lot more stylized and not so free form as you might find at a punk show where kids are just throwing themselves around. There were a number of bands in the early 90s who were really into kickboxing and they would write songs with beats and rythms specifically for the dancers in the pit who would jump in and do some of their routines. So a lot of the newer bands who took inspiration from those older bands perform the same rythm/dance oriented music. With bands like Sick of it All I'm finding that I keep a flowing movement better when performing some of my stances and forms.

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
    </embed>

FongSaiYuk Guest

Good Topic

It's nice to see other martial artists who are also punk/hardcore fans. I grew up on the stuff and I can still get into it today. When I'm doing any kind of intense workout nothing gets me pumped up like hardcore does. Old school NY hardcore seems to work the best for me - it really gets my blood flowing. But in terms of any kind training that involves deep concentration and a calm mind I use tradional Chinese music. It's pretty amazing how music can really inspire you to work harder in training. There are many similarities bewteen music and martial arts. As a guitar player I've experienced them firsthand. --FSYF

dwid Guest
    I agree with the utility of chinese traditional music. For circle walking and even meditation, the pipa is a very beautiful instrument to listen to. Also, some of those traditional pieces on the pipa would be considered structurally very abstract even by modern standards of Western music.. very cool stuff

Braden Guest
    Dwid - Short story long: I do bagua too, and do
    it either in silence or good trance, depending
    on what I'm doing.

I actually keep my trance collection down where
    I train now; it has been an immense benefit.

Tru-MA Guest
    I like training with music. For me, it really depends on what type of form I'm practicing, though, for which type of music I would practice to. For example, for a fast paced set like hip-hop, I would usually end up doing it fast. Or for a slow Chinese song I would mix slow and fast movements depending on what technique in the form I'm doing (you can't exactly expect to do a slow tornado kick, can you?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    My favorite music to train with is pretty obvious...it's called:
    naam yi dong ji keung (Cantonese)
    nan er dang zi jiang (Mandarin)

For those of you that need an English translation,
    it means "A Man of Determination".

If you still have no idea what the song is, it's the opening theme to ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]