Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Music and training

Tien Long Guest
    Music is an intergral part of capoeria, usually incorporating drums, tambourines, and the singnature berimbau. My master puts on music from Brazil that incorporate very nice rhytmic beats, as well as recordings of capoerian instruments played in the background. Its a good way to "clear the mind" as he puts it, and gives you something to concentrate on rather then the pain going up your inside when doing a stretch.

"Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

dena Guest
    My Sifu loves Michael Jackson...

dwid Guest

Braden

Sorry it took so long to reply, I don't have internet access unless I'm at work.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear you do Bagua to Trance. Any CD's you'd recommend?

Braden Guest
    Juno Reactor's Bible of Dreams. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

dedalus Guest
    I once (and only once... so far) ran through the Bagua circle form to the BeeGee's Saturday Night Fever. It gave it a very *interesting* vibe (and a couple of extra shakes and wiggles ;-)

Haven't tried trance, but perhaps I will now...

Iron_Monkey Guest
    Cool topic. Props to dwid, man...

I listen to alot of punk and hardcore. I am of the opinion that the harder stuff is for working out. Gets you pumped and sometimes ****ed. Fear Factory is great for the heavy bag.

On the other hand, trance/techno is good stuff for forms. The beat keeps you in the groove. Sometimes its good for taiji. A friend of mine likes doing his taiji to Moby every once in a while to change things up.

I also like the traditional Chinese stuff, too. And I even have a cd of traditional African rhythms with nothing but drums. That is the ONE. I can turn that on, and totally slip into this weird mode where I don't get tired and am oblivious to everything around me. Could be something to do with the effect of certain rhythms on the human brain.

On a side thingy- Some studies have shown hard music like metal and rock to stunt cell growth and brain activity, while things like classical music, music with a more complex mathematical structure have been shown to stimulate growth and brain activity...I am not aware of any cold hard facts on the matter, but its thought provoking, anyway........

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

shimera Guest
    i strongly doupt that rock will stunt your brain growth i've listend to it for years. and i'm one of the smartest students in my state. According to the standardized tests and grades etc etc.

however i wouldn't be surprised if people who listen to classical found it more stimulating for their thought process. i don't mind classical i just don't care to spend my money on it.

Gojira Guest

Music

Well these pieces I found stirred up the blood while working out or doing forms.
    Give me the prize: Queen, It's a kind of magic
    Anvil of Crom: Conan The Barbarian soundtrack
    Any track from the Robin Hood soundtrack
    Eye of the Tiger : Rocky III soundtrack
    Decent into mystery: Batman Score
    No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn : Beatie Boys, Licence to Ill
    Predator Soundtrack
    You could be mine: Guns n Roses,Use your Illution II
    Welcome to the Jungle: Guns n Roses
    Aliens Soundtrack
    Matrix Soundtrack
    The soundtrack from Phantom Menace where Obi-wan and Qui-gon fight Darth Maul

I have others but the name of the track slip my mind at this moment.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

If you have nothing to do, don't do it here!

FongSaiYuk Guest

More Music

If you really want to bring out the "warrior within" try listening to some John Denver. And for that little extra push you need in your workouts try some Vanilla Ice; it never fails.

Seriously though, one cool thing to try is some very rhythmic Brazilian tribal-type music while sparring or shadowboxing. I think someone in an earlier post mentioned African music. That also sounds like a great idea. --FSY

Mantis_Hand Guest
    hey dwid,

I've been running through my exercises to a disc called Hard Desert Trance 2. Awesome compilation on Moonshine records.

<embed src="http://www.geocities.com/lattethunder03862/zorak.swf" quality=high pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="415" height="90">
    </embed>

nowhesings Guest

Training to music?

Hi everyone!

Since I started training Capoeira I can't imagine training without music. In Capoeira it's sort of a key thing - without music there's nada energy.

What about you? Do you practise to music? I remember that when doing WT we sometimes had music before the "actual" training (which was great) but then when we got serious the music was turned off... Why? Is it not appropriate in CMA?

Just wondering...

qeySuS Guest

Yeah i wish i could.

I really love practicing to music, i used to do it while i was in KickBoxing, the teacher loved good rock and basicly all music, so you could bring a CD and play it throughout the practice, really loved listening to some good hardcore like SOAD or Dimmu Borgir.

I do this sometimes if i get some alonetime in a big gym room with a good stereo system. Nothing like doing some forms or kicks to a hardcore screaming voice. I also like soothing Ambient or techno. Hell i really love ALL music, including 60s-70s-80s-90s (gotta love ace of base).

Free thinkers are dangerous.

premier Guest
    Don't know really, but I can imagine that music might make it more difficult to concentrate and the instructor might have to raise his voice to be heard.

and... well.. this is pretty far-fetched, but.. there's a steady beat in music and you might start to do your technique in that same rhytm. then you learn to do techniques in a steady rhytm. not a good thing =) hehe.

I think music during the warm-up and stretching is nice.

Waidan Guest
    We don't have any music in class, but I listen to everything from trance to metal when working out on my own.

Bagua to Soulfly? You'd be suprised ;)

Insynergy Guest

i agree with premier

As much as a love training to music, i only turn it on in a light session. serious training I like to focus on breaking rhythm, and techniques at different speeds and rhythm. I find i start to adapt to the beat whether i like it or not though :)