Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music and training

Goktimus Prime Guest

Music

Here's some reasons why I don't train to music.

1. It's distracting. When I train, I try to remain focussed.

2. When listening to music, you tend to move along with the beat. This is fine in dancing, but not so in fighting. While fighting certainly DOES have a beat and rhythm to it, the tempo should move according to match the situation, not to match a soundtrack. For example, you may do a "punch - block - punchpunch" rhythm, in other words, you've thrown a punch, blocked a hit which also opened the opponent, and dug into that opening with a two more punches, but in quicker succession. In musical terms, if the first punch and block were full notes, the last two punches were both semi-notes. It's what boxers call the "old one-two" follow up. The timing of the fight is dependent on how fast you're moving and how fast your opponent is moving. Not on how fast the music is moving.

Music is fun, but not practical for combat training.

"Wit is educated insolence." - Aristotle (284-322 BC)

BeiKongHui Guest
    We listen to music while doing circuit training or aerobic work but not during any instructional time. Good fast music really gets the blood flowing.

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
    - When you talk with the hands,
    best not to speak of polite hands.

Musical training

Goktimus Primal,

What if you train to music that has a different timing. For example:

Salsa is 4 beat.
    Marangue 3 beats
    Cha Cha 1-2 cha cha cha
    Ceroc 4 beats
    Rock & Roll 6 beats

But personally, I think training to music is stupid. It's too distracting. In any case, I have my victory dance after a fight not during a fight.

Ego Maximize!

joedoe Guest

Sometimes it's OK

I find music is OK to train to if you are just doing repetitions like kicks, or conditioning exercises.

I definitely don't use music when practicing forms though because I like to focus on the form completely.

If you pick the right music, it can sometimes be very inspirational though. I like the theme to Once Upon A Time in China 8^).

Fritz Guest

Train to Drum and Bass music is awesome.

Hey, people drum and bass is great to train to. If someone wants a tape I will send them one. Although I live in Sydney, Australia.

Cheers
    Fritz

WongFeHung Guest
    Our school, although very traditional in its curriculum and methods, might seem untraditional in some of our training. We play music-Steve Vai, Satriani,Chemical Bros, Rage against the machine, Peking Bros, traditional music, my younger jr instructors bring in KMFDM, and Korn,the class ROCKS! We are very high energy, we clap, cheer each other on, smile a heckuva lot, and sweat, sweat, sweat! As long as you walk out of my class wanting more!

Kung Lek Guest
    In our school we train with music.

A lot of us like the Latin Music especially Si Mo :).
    It lifts the spirit and isn't detrimental to the training.

Standing Post exercise is done in silence though as it helps us to focus inward with little distraction.
    But meditation at the end of class is done with soft flute music playing which helps ease the mind and in some cases provides a really pleasant point of focus.

At home when I train I usually do it in silence though, but that's because i don't have a source of music in my training room. ;)

peace

Kung Lek

the running guy Guest

Music and capoeira

Good to see another capoeirista on this forum! What style, Angola or Regional? Not that it really matters that much. If the instigator of this topic sees this, could you tell me some of the calls and chants your school uses!

Celestial Amiboshi Guest

Music

I also enjoy practicing to music, but there is one thing I need to warn against. Do not try practicing to a metronome. I did this for about a week. I figured this would add structure and order to whatever I was doing, and it did, but at the cost of my flow. When I began to have trouble practicing without the metronome I stopped using it.

"Love is something which is never meant to last. It is but a flower that blooms and then withers away."

Xebsball Guest
    Something cool happened today.
    My sifu put on the ouatic soundtrack for us
    while we were training.
    :)

Mr. Nemo Guest
    If you want to avoid getting caught in the tempo of the music, you can choose music that has a strong rhythm but no clear meter, like anything with Elvin Jones or Tony Williams on drums.

I'm rediscovering my whole CD collection in terms of practicing. Yesterday I practiced to "A Love Supreme." I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

katrina_stearns Guest

Kung Fu Music

Personally, the right type of music should be from the 70s when Bruce Lee became popular.

Anything by the Villiage People - like Macho Man is good. You can also do cha cha which was developed into JKD by Bruce Lee.

Submit to me. I know you want to.

Abstract Guest

Mr. Nemo

YEA MAN! A Love Supreme! When I practice at home I throw on that CD! It's perfect..1/2 hour long, and just enough time to go through my form.. afterwords a bit of Qi Gong, stretch a bit & i'm straight..in class, however(to answer the post..) we have nada musica..it's better off for me, when I'm in class I'm really trying to concentrate..then once I get it down & I'm home, the music helps me focus cause it blocks out my stupid neighbors(live in an apt complex..)

Coltrane is the Shizsnapkibiddle!! ;)

[This message was edited by Abstract on 04-03-01 at 06:51 AM.]

[This message was edited by Abstract on 04-03-01 at 06:53 AM.]

What music do you train to?

Greetings,

This is what I use when I work out. It's slammin':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5n5hHC-L0

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-21-2007 at 07:22 PM.

More importantly than music is the anime that they put the music to - knockin on heaven's door. I LOVE cowboy bebop. it is by far one of my favorites. Great animation, great story lines, great music... I have most of the soundtrack CDs - 3 of them are on my desk right now.

Back to the topic, I generally listen to rock, alternative or hard rap. Sometimes there will be other things thrown in - for example, I really like crystal method.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter