Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Combinations

Favorite Combinations

Last night I worked combinations with my students and got me thinking about favorite or preferred striking combinations.

Some of my favorites:

Left Hook Punch, Right Roundhouse Kick: From an orthodox stance the left hook or left shovel hook delivered will keep the opponent focused on the head, while following up with a power roundhouse to either the thigh or floating rib. Done from boxing distancing. If Southpaw fighter simply switch the order.

Double Jab, Plum, Knee Sequence: Double jab can throw the opponent off and is excellent for closing the distance. Jab is the most important punch in one's arsenal because everything is built off of it. After closing the distance and within clinching range, forearm smash on collar bones and plum the back of the head. In Pai Lum we have a knee sequence exercise similiar to Muay Thai, knee, switch, knee, switch, knee, switch, where the knee can target legs, torso, or head. A good plum is key, where the head goes the body will follow!

Shoulder Roll, Right Cross, Left Hook, Right Cross: This comes more from my boxing background but is an effective technique. Shoulder rolls and parry are excellent defenses against straight punches. Often times opponents will mistake their distancing and throw the punch too short. Shoulder rolls and parrys will allow you to get around this punch and deliver a powerful right cross while they are extended and off balance. Follow up with a left hook and another right cross for a good power combination. One of the best tools for parrying, dodging, and evading is the double end ball. I cannot stress this great training tool enough.

Pull the Rope: A staple technique in the Pai Lum system. Start out by taking a side stance with the strong leg or kicking leg in front. You will feint and throw a backfist or jab with the lead hand, with the intent being to have your opponent throw their guard up to protect the head, leaving their body and torso exposed. As the backfist or jab retracts the side thrust kick from the front leg shoots out into the body area. Chamber, kick with the heel while rolling the hip over, rechamber, back to fighting stance. This can be a powerful and deceptive combo when done correctly.

Please feel free to add favorite combinations of yours to this thread.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Hmmm...

1. Left shovel hook to body, left hook to the head. Works especially well if you get the liver shot with the shovel hook.

2. Jab, fake right cross(fully extend the cross to the left side of their head) to a clinch, follow up with knees and elbows. Again, i'm usually aiming for a liver shot with incoming left knee.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

jab and a dropping cross with a rising hook.
    best triple I have...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yi da

ding zhou

zuo you fan

1. long strike

2. elbow/knee push

3. flip/throw to the left or right.

Jab
    Cross
    left corner step - lead hook

Doube Jab
    right corner step - right cross

rear hand Cup Choy
    lead hand Ow Choy
    lead hand Gwa Choy
    rear hand Cup Choy

Jab
    Inside leg kick
    Jab
    Cross
    Outside leg kick
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

elbow, shoulder, body, head... great combos can be strung between these from all sides, in any order... another great one is the simple jumping knee to body blast(k'ao ching), followed with a well placed heel kick... every strike is a set up for a follow up, thus there is no end to the amount of strikes strung together ina combo... one can flow endlessly from one to the next effortlessly.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Combination #3:
    young chow fried rice, BBQ spareribs, and eggroll
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    Kick, punch, pick opponent up, flip him upsite down, smash his head to the ground, crack his skull open, then eat his brain.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Prefer the combo b, which is the lemon chicken, fried rice with egg and gailan.

Tasty!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Also, "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down"= CCCCCC Combo Breaker.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Mind you, combo #5 does have a little bit of Monica....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Kick, punch, pick opponent up, flip him upsite down, smash his head to the ground, crack his skull open, then eat his brain.
    Zombie style Kung Fu, I like it!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Southpaw stance:

1. Lead jab, lead gwa choy, rear hand charp, rear sow choy.

2. feint the lead jab, switch step, back leg push kick, gwa choy, groin shot.

combo in an eatery

1. appetizer

2. main course

3. desserts

I am heavy on 1 and 3. sometimes light or skip 2 altogether.

you see me in tea and dim sum all the times.

Eye poke, groin kick, pull out gun and shoot em in the knees.

In a real fight, I have gotten as far as the groin kick and have finished the fight there. So I know this technique is very effective. Have used in 2X in my lifetime. The pull out gun part is still un-tested.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.