Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gainers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Student View Post
    Ok do cardio after lifting weights. I will try that.

I am very aware of portion control now. I have cut out the fast food (well I do enjoy the boneless buffalo wings at chilis once a week still. And sometimes I dont have time to make a lunch and I buy my lunch. Buuuut Im ALOT better now). I make alot of my own food now. I have also cut out the sodas. When I do drink a soda it is always diet. Whats a GI carb?

Vietnamese food-lol

I never considered lifting for endurance but that would be alot smarter because I would think you could last longer in a fight no?

You need a restraining order from Chilis. There is nothing good for you there. Even their "healthy" stuff will make you fat.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

GI is glycemic index, it's basically a numeric value for how fast the sugars in foods are digested (and thus how quickly blood sugar and insulin levels rise). Low GI foods (meats, whole wheats and grains, brown rice, some vegetables, nuts, etc) do not spike your blood sugar/insulin, therefore less of the sugar is stored as fat.

http://www.cylive.com/viewContent.do?id=125
    Bless you

Berardi's 7 habits for nutrition

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.
    John Berardi
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Student View Post
    Ok do cardio after lifting weights. I will try that.

I am very aware of portion control now. I have cut out the fast food (well I do enjoy the boneless buffalo wings at chilis once a week still. And sometimes I dont have time to make a lunch and I buy my lunch. Buuuut Im ALOT better now). I make alot of my own food now. I have also cut out the sodas. When I do drink a soda it is always diet. Whats a GI carb?

Vietnamese food-lol

I never considered lifting for endurance but that would be alot smarter because I would think you could last longer in a fight no?
    first thing, you dont want to "lift for endurance." ever. endurance athletes approach strength training differently, but never as an endurance exercise. you gotta separate the two.

if you aren't cutting for a fight or something of the like, i'd follow the 90/10 rule. 90% of the food you eat should follow your plan without exception, while the other 10% can be whatever you want. dave tate can attest to the effectiveness of this regimen. story

also ... i have no idea why doing cardio after lifting would burn more fat, but a lot of top level bodybuilders do it, so it mustn't hurt. i've seen arguments supporting both sides, but i don't know enough about it to make a judgment either way. i personally would rather do it on an alternate day, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with doing it after lifting either. some say it helps to flush out the lactic acid as well.

keep in mind that cardio doesn't have to be long drawn out sessions either. because of my training goals, i personally prefer HIIT. instead of jogging at a steady pace for 30 - 60 mins, you sprint for 30 seconds, jog for 30 seconds, repeat. a trainin session would last 15 mins at most - sometimes less. HIIT effectively trains the heart and lungs, while also working fast twitch muscle fibers. the difference between fast and slow twitch muscle fibers is the difference between sprinters and marathon runners. a lot of people argue that HIIT is also more efficient for fat loss. of course, your training goals may be different from mine. you may desire the benefits of endurance training, but i just wanted to let you know the option was there.

more info and a HIIT program: http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 02-29-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    first thing, you dont want to "lift for endurance." ever. endurance athletes approach strength training differently, but never as an endurance exercise. you gotta separate the two.
    Ever heard of Body Pump? There is absolutely no separation of the two at all when you do it the right way. Body pump is great for strength and endurance (believe me, endurance is the key to getting through body pump classes) Body pump will make you very lean and strong, and not bulky at all AkA no man boobs, which I think look stupid.

To the original poster: I do not recommend super heavy lifting in any scenario, unless you are a bodybuilder and are obsessed with being big.

Cutting out lifting completely, on the other hand, is not good either. You gotta find the middle ground.

Body Pump = Failing in Public

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    Ever heard of Body Pump? There is absolutely no separation of the two at all when you do it the right way. Body pump is great for strength and endurance (believe me, endurance is the key to getting through body pump classes) Body pump will make you very lean and strong, and not bulky at all AkA no man boobs, which I think look stupid.

To the original poster: I do not recommend super heavy lifting in any scenario, unless you are a bodybuilder and are obsessed with being big.

Cutting out lifting completely, on the other hand, is not good either. You gotta find the middle ground.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yp8Y4O5CEy4

. . .

Seriously?

I'm all for group exercises, I mean, at least the newbies are moving, but seriously? I can't imagine a more difficult way of learning the proper lifting method ( I saw little-*****-hump/rows, I'm-too-sexy-for-my-shirt-shrugs-with-the-useless-and-dangerous-forward-roll, and a weight which, if the lifts are learned correctly, will be inconsequential for the power movements.

And it's BodyPump.

Will my gym have it? Hell yes. Uber moneys. Will I be happy about it? Hell no.

As far as lifting "super-heavy-weight . . ." one need not be obsessed with growth to desire a larger frame. Muscle doesn't slow one down, it's what moves the bones.

And makes titty-dancin' a titty-dancin' good time.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post

. . .

Seriously?

I'm all for group exercises, I mean, at least the newbies are moving, but seriously? I can't imagine a more difficult way of learning the proper lifting method ( I saw little-*****-hump/rows, I'm-too-sexy-for-my-shirt-shrugs-with-the-useless-and-dangerous-forward-roll, and a weight which, if the lifts are learned correctly, will be inconsequential for the power movements.

And it's BodyPump.

As far as lifting "super-heavy-weight . . ." one need not be obsessed with growth to desire a larger frame. Muscle doesn't slow one down, it's what moves the bones.

jesus dude ... i saw that you were the last person to respond to this thread ... then i read the body pump post ... and i almost quit the internet. im glad i caught my mistake .... i would have died a little inside.
    where's my beer?

*sigh*

i dont even know where to begin with this post. in fact, i dont think i even want to bother. ignorance is one thing, but please don't fall for gimicks and believe all they myths. just a little research will do.
    where's my beer?

i couldn't help it ....

world records for men 132lbs:
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/records/132-men

squat:
    1. 705.5 (320.0) 5.33X Magnus Karlsson (Sweden/67) 10/2/99 (320.0 kg.) (Malmo, Sweden) (IPF)

bench:
    1. 490.5 (222.5) *3.73X Ayrat Zakiyev (Russia/81) 5/25/06 (222.5 kg. @ 59.6 kg.) (Miskolc, Hungary) (IPF)

deadlift:
    1. 683.4 (310.0) *5.17X Lamar Gant (US/57) 11/11/88 (310.0 kg. @ 60.0 kg.) (Perth, Australia) (USPF/IPF)

the 148s are even more impressive.

squat:
    1. 804.7 (365.0) *5.50X Thomas James “T.J.” Hoerner (US/77) 4/1/06 (365.0 kg. @ 146.2 lb.) (Houston, Texas) (APF)

bench:
    1. 600.0 (272.2) 4.03X Joe Ceklovsky (US/75) 1/20/08 (600.0 lb.) (Carteret, New Jersey) (IPA)

deadlift:
    1. 705.5 (320.0) *4.74X Dan Austin (US/58) 8/1/92 (320.0 kg. @ 67.5 kg.) (Raleigh, North Carolina) (USPF)
    lifting "super heavy" is not the goal of the bodybuilder. lifting superheavy is the goal of those who want to be strong ... and not everyone who wants to be strong wants to be big. if bodybuilders lifted super heavy all of the time, they would all look like powerlifters. a bodybuilders routine is closer to "body pump" than it is to super heavy lifting .... except that its not ghey.

[edit] holy hell ... i hadn't watched the video yet. i retract the statement about a bodybuilders routine being in any way, shape, or form akin to body pump. i thought they would be doing a bunch of high rep stuff in succession to get a pump going and maintain it. that's not at all what that was. for ****'s sake whats wrong with the fitness world?
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 03-01-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post

. . .

Seriously?

And it's BodyPump.

Go to a body pump class and really push yourself THEN tell me it is a joke. Plus, I am not necessarily saying Body Pump is amazing, I was just responding to the post that said that strength training and cardio HAVE TO BE SEPARATE. It is simply not true. And btw, did you try to find THE WORST possible body pump video? Those people are total mongos.

And yes, people who desire a larger frame are, 90% of the time, obsessed with growth. I've seen it over and over and over. People who start lifting and say "oh, I dont really want to get big" and then later they are drinking nasty protein powders and taking all kind of supplements and worrying all the time if they are getting enough protein. Bodybuilding is a big joke and the only ones who arent laughing are the gym rats because they are too busy flexing in a mirror and obsessing that their (insert muscle group) arent big enough.

And I didnt say that muslce slows one down. Dont know where you got that. I just said that bulk looks dumb. LOOK AT ME, I AM THE INCREDIBLE BULK!

Now that I think of it though, have you ever seen a massive bodybuilder or power lifter try to sprint? They can't. Granted now, I am talking about steroid freaks here, not natural body builders, but it is FREAKING HILARIOUS. They are so slow and awkward and their legs are so big that they kind of have to waddle. Proof that yes, muscle CAN slow you down... if you are an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    i couldn't help it ....

lifting "super heavy" is not the goal of the bodybuilder. lifting superheavy is the goal of those who want to be strong ... and not everyone who wants to be strong wants to be big. if bodybuilders lifted super heavy all of the time, they would all look like powerlifters. a bodybuilders routine is closer to "body pump" than it is to super heavy lifting .... except that its not ghey.

?
    You can call me ignorant if you want. I call you ignorant. You say that body pump is retarded. How about all the retards I see at the free weights at the gym. I could go into it, but no need. And BTW, I am not trying to say that Body Pump is amazing, simply that strength and endurance training do not HAVE to be separate. Sure, body pump will not make you able to lift a car over your head, but it does make you strong and it does give you mad endurance. I think that your definition of strength training is a bit extreme.

And bodybuilders do lift very heavy. They lift super heavy with lots of reps. Have you ever been to a gym? My friend who is obsessed with bodybuilding throws 300 pounds on the bench and does 4 sets with increasing reps. It is ridiculous. He is huge. He looks roided, but says he is not. If he hasnt lifted in a couple days, he starts complaining that his shoulders hurt. I WONDER WHY!

Sure, they dont do as much as power lifters, but who the hell does?

I will say again: Go to a bodypump class, really push yourself and then tell me it is "ghey" Bet you wont do it because you dont want to be proven wrong and you'll just make some excuse like "oh, its ghey.." "Oh, look at the Ghey instructors ghey shorts". My class is taught by a woman who is quite attractive, so no gheyness here.

And yes, we do high reps in succession. How is this a gimmick. Tell me, please What is gimmicky about it. You are taking weights and *SHOCKER* lifting them, ALOT. To complete failure. That is like saying that jogging is a gimmick. Boxing is a gimmick. Cycling is a gimmick. This is fun, I could do this all day. I have gotten stronger and have better endurance as a result. Again, it is not amazing. It is very very straightforward.

WHERE IS THE GIMMICK? The fact that the creators made alot of money? That is not a gimmick. Oh right, there is no gimmick, you just thought that was a totally neato word and decided it would make you sound all smart. Well, haha, charade you are!

Is that you in your avatar? Sorry man, that was too easy. Don't get all fired up now. It is a joke.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 03-01-2008 at 12:47 AM.

**** it .... im drunk .... here igo ...

I think that your definition of strength training is a bit extreme.
    its not extreme ... its just whats been proven to be the most effective and efficient over the last 80 years or so. sticking red hot rods up your urethra is extreme .... lifting heavy is just smart.

I was just responding to the post that said that strength training and cardio HAVE TO BE SEPARATE. It is simply not true.
    you couldnt be more wrong if you expected that homeless guy to give you a hand job after you gave him a pint of mad dog. pick up a ****ing anatomy and physiology book or at least use google. you can not .... i repeat can not have the best of both worlds. you can be great at one or decent at both .... and decent at both may serve your training goals but the training is still segregated for the most part. strongman training has the closest one can come to having the best of both worlds, and there's a reason why few people can take that kind of training.

And bodybuilders do lift very heavy. They lift super heavy with lots of reps. Have you ever been to a gym?
    i've never been to the type of gym where they do c0ck pumping, but i have been to a gym where a guy squated 495 for 10 reps. he gave the guy who could squat 700 for a single mad props.

Sure, they dont do as much as power lifters, but who the hell does?
    it doesnt matter what powerlifters do. what they lift is still "light" for them, or they wouldnt be pumping out 8 - 12 reps with it, for multiple sets, with as little rest as they can get away with.

I will say again: Go to a bodypump class
    no. i will lift for strength and do other things like sprinting, sled dragging, boxing, jiujitsu, gymnastics, humping your grandmother, and pretend parkour for cardio.

My class is taught by a woman who is quite attractive, so no gheyness here.
    im sorry, but there is. you are teh ghey. if you weren't youd be lifting with the real men, and asking that girl for her number. unless of course your spoken for .... in which case you'd give her a wink when she caught you flexing.

And yes, we do high reps in succession. How is this a gimmick. Tell me, please What is gimmicky about it.
    its the next new thing that will never replace the tried and true. im all about progression .... but it cant defy physiology.

You are taking weights and *SHOCKER* lifting them, ALOT. To complete failure. That is like saying that jogging is a gimmick. Boxing is a gimmick. Cycling is a gimmick. This is fun, I could do this all day. I have gotten stronger and have better endurance as a result. Again, it is not amazing. It is very very straightforward.
    no ... thats like saying doing regular pushups all day long will keep augmenting your strength. pushups are great ... and if you want to do them all day long you'll gain mad endurance. but everyone knows that the strength gains stop at a certain point. the same with lifting weights "ALOT." strength gains will taper off and only endurance wil be worked. you fail at your analogys as well. no one would ever say that boxing or jogging would make you stronger. they make you better at boxing and jogging. which is great ... but itsnot strength training. you got stronger from c0ck throbbing because you were weak to begin with.

just thought that was a totally neato word and decided it would make me sound stupid. GOOD JOB.
    Is that you in your avatar? Sorry man, that was too easy. Don't get all fired up now. It is a joke.
    thats my little brother .. who happened to win the 2004 special olympics. but thanks for making fun of him.
    where's my beer?

There's nothing bad about lifting for endurance. There's two factors in muscular development. Strength and endurance. This is straight from Army Field Manual 21-20. I'm military, and this is how I train. It promotes weight loss, not weight gain, and at the same time builds stamina. I've trained dozens of Soldiers who were at one time bordeline PT failures and brought them into excellence.
    As for cardio, doing cardio after lifting maximizes fat loss, which is what the original point of this was before it was lost in a mess of people trying to make the other look bad.

This is how I work out, and I've recently earned the Army Physical Fitness Excellence badge as a result. Nobody has to listen to me, but I strongly advise it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There's nothing bad about lifting for endurance.
    theres nothing wrong with it if endurance and GPP is your goal, but at some point you stop getting stronger. even the crossfit guys, who i admire a great deal, will stop gaining maximal strength at some point. endurance and GPP are much more important attributes for a soldier, and the training reflects that. this type of training is in line with the appropriate goals, so its absolutely fine.

however, if civilian wants to lift to get stronger and change his body shape, the most efficient thing to do is seperate the strength training from the cardio. you can do the cardio after your strength training, but you dont want to turn your strength training into cardio.

your style or crossfit style of training may be in line with the original posters goals, and i actually conceded to that in my original post.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 03-01-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    There's nothing bad about lifting for endurance.
    also ... i resepct the military a great deal, but body pump? come on man ..... would you have your soldiers do that ****?
    where's my beer?