Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gainers!!

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    also ... i resepct the military a great deal, but body pump? come on man ..... would you have your soldiers do that ****?
    What's body pump?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    What's body pump?
    it's what started the debate. vash posted a video of it ... admittedly the video was really bad even for what it is.

basically they give you a barbell and have you do aerobics. in and of itself it might not be so bad for those who want to "tone up," but unless it was used as a recovery meathod (which might actually work well), it has little value to a real athlete.
    where's my beer?

it's what started the debate. vash posted a video of it ... admittedly the video was really bad even for what it is.

basically they give you a barbell and have you do aerobics. in and of itself it might not be so bad for those who want to "tone up," but unless it was used as a recovery meathod (which might actually work well), it has little value to a real athlete.
    No, I was recommending actual weight lifting, just using more reps with a lighter weight. The weight still increases over time, but you want to keep the reps high.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Two Things

1. GDA > Chuck Norris

2. I've, unfortunately, suffered through a Body Pump class. At the time, I was 180lbs, and the instructor, after the class, told me I was "too big" and that I was "intimidating" the other lifters because I wasn't "sweating." Now, I KNOW I didn't look too big because when I wear most of my clothes, you can't tell I weight more than a buck 50. In a t-shirt, it's obvious I work out, but I don't look near massive.

The workout, though the music was crappy techno, and the participants heavy, the weight was not, and the cardiovascular stressors were not present.

I remain DEEPLY unimpressed with the Body Pump workout, but the marketing is awesome, and I hope to have as much success with my fitness business in the future.

General rule of lifting - lift kinda heavy usually, light sometimes, super heavy sometimes. Otherwise, you're not using your body the way it's been adapted, and you should kill yourself.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

first thing, you dont want to "lift for endurance." ever.

Reply]
    Why not?

Exclamation A Word from SeriousCat

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    first thing, you dont want to "lift for endurance." ever.

Reply]
    Why not?
    This sucks]

1. When a lifter is attempting to move a weight for "endurance" purposes, it is more likely there will be a breakdown of form and fatigue-related muscular failure. Either occurrence increases likelihood of injury.

2. Considering the above reason, re: form breakdown, one can develop bad habits (to be read as improper form, consistent cheating, etc) which could carry over to times when a heavier, non-endurance weight is being moved, greatly multiplying the injury risk.

3. One will tend to see increased incidence of tendenosis, and possibly generalized joint pain, with regular "endurance" resistance training.

Note, this list is valid if the "endurance" lifting is done on a regular basis.

Most beneficial, it would seem, is to gain endurance through various resistance levels of skills practice (drills, forms, technique repetitions, SPARRING, bagwork, SPARRING), as well as having a decent general cardiovascular fitness level.

Weight lifting is for the following: muscular hypertrophy, increased strength and power (maximum mass to be moved, mass moved over a short period), joint balance/stability/mobility, and tonus. Any other goal should be pursued using a different training medium.

my buddy had a lot of luck with hydroxycut, but i've never used anything like that personally.

my training in the weight room aproaches masochisim more often than not, and the only sups i use are ON whey and L-glutamine. i used creatine briefly, but my kidneys started hurting on two seperate cycles of taking it.

best advice is to train hard and eat clean and often. try for 4 or 5 small meals a day, keeping in mind that a "meal" may mean an apple and a half a cup of cottage cheese.

also - raw eggs. natures perfect fast food - quick, easy, clean protein. they have no taste and it doesnt take long to get past the texture. a few raw eggs and your choice of cereal/oats = very quick and easy breakfast. i personally do up some fiberone with fresh berries and nuts.

I must respectfully disagree with the raw egg recommendation. They do nor digest or absorb well enough to provide an adequate source of protein.

My suggestion would be to double down on the cardio. When I run 3 miles per day, every other day...the extra fat falls off quickly--for me.

I found that merely running once per week was 'maintenance'.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Okaaay Well I can tell Im way out of my league here. You guys must be uber athletes or something. I just wanted to do some exercise twice a week to get into shape more and drop some fat so I can look good naked. I think I will go to my kung fu class then lift weights till my arms and stuff get too weak to lift and then Ill get on the treadmill or something and do cardio for like 30 mins. It sounds like NOBODY on this board uses weight loss supplements so I guess I will just save my money.

But Im still gonna go to Chilis once a week. ZOMG!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Student View Post
    Okaaay Well I can tell Im way out of my league here. You guys must be uber athletes or something. I just wanted to do some exercise twice a week to get into shape more and drop some fat so I can look good naked. I think I will go to my kung fu class then lift weights till my arms and stuff get too weak to lift and then Ill get on the treadmill or something and do cardio for like 30 mins. It sounds like NOBODY on this board uses weight loss supplements so I guess I will just save my money.

But Im still gonna go to Chilis once a week. ZOMG!
    Absolutely nothing wrong with those goals. The only things I would recommend with regards to the weights would be to check your form on a regular basis, listen to to your body for discomfort, and possibly find a good basic lifting routine.

Good luck!

Would somebody wanna recommend a good basic lifting routine. Im really ignorant when it comes to health stuff. I was thinking doing bench presses of course. Curls for my biceps. That one exercise where you put one knee on a bench and lift the dumbbell up and down to work your back muscles. Some shoulder presses. Situps. Thats all I can think of.

i think vash gave me the best compliment i've ever gotten.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis_Student View Post
    Would somebody wanna recommend a good basic lifting routine. Im really ignorant when it comes to health stuff. I was thinking doing bench presses of course. Curls for my biceps. That one exercise where you put one knee on a bench and lift the dumbbell up and down to work your back muscles. Some shoulder presses. Situps. Thats all I can think of.
    a lot of people really like ripptoes starting strength ... simple as can be and extremely effective. i started my nephew on this program, and in about 2 months he went from squatting about 100lbs to 200lbs, benching 70ish lbs to 125, and were keeping deadlift light until i can keep his back from rounding. ive also had a lot of luck with this program with a few other people i was helping.

great right up on it:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

meat and taters of it:

Workout A 3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing military press
    3x5 Power cleans
    You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
    Monday - Workout A
    Wednesday - Workout B
    Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
    Monday - Workout B
    Wednesday - Workout A
    Friday - Workout B

i also recommend the book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...4577020&sr=8-1
    where's my beer?

..... also keep in mind thats its going to be ideal to have someone show you how to lift properly ... especially squat and deadlift. considering your goal isn't to be handeling massive weights anytime soon, your technique wont have to be completely perfect, but you'll want to have the basics down. you can learn a lot from books and good videos, but its like anything else ....
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    I must respectfully disagree with the raw egg recommendation. They do nor digest or absorb well enough to provide an adequate source of protein.
    fair enough. admittedly, my knowledge on nutrition is severely lacking. i eat them raw simply because far better athletes than myself have been doing it for a long time, and what little reading ive done made sense to me. i can't pretend to argue the point though. ill have to do a little more reading to make sure im not wasting good eggs!
    where's my beer?

**** That ****

I cook the mother****ers.

Food poisoning, etc. Besides, omellete sammiches are the bomb/diggaty.