Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An interesting way to flow... from Germany

An interesting way to flow... from Germany

I've never met Keith Kernspecht, the famous WT master from Germany, although technically I suppose he would be my Si-Hing since we both trained under the same Chinese sifu many years ago. I'd heard a lot about him, but until the last year or two he didn't have much featuring himself on youtube. Now there's a ton of stuff out there and I must say it's different! I find it really interesting. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6STx6wrzIvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QPN0R3D-_g

and also this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im0aA...eature=related

BTW Regarding rank, I think it works like this:

The mostly red with a bit of white Star-Trek shirts = Command Level/Bridge Officer
    The mostly white with a bit of red Star Trek shirts = Junior Officer, Security Personell, etc.
    White shirt only = expendable extra, probably no speaking lines, may get killed off at any moment...
    Black Frock = Mighty Klingon Overlord!
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    I believe the attacker in the videos is saying, ' how about a cuddle?'.
    Guys get stupid with applications, end up creating a completely different fighting system with similar name ....applications for every event, I wonder how big the manual of apps is ? example : page 4058 , subsection b paragraph 2 dealing with groper.
    1} use rear hands of slt to block butt grab and then anihalate with a bazillion air punches ending with ubiquitous elbow strike [ the presumption being all those punches suxed so had to pull out 'the elbow' !].
    2} use rear foot stomping triple kick only LT saw in YM last clip of dummy form
    3} use turning fac sao with tan combo as you perform throwing technique so groper is humiliated , then reach down and throw 8 trillion air punches followed by elbows *{* see # 2}
    4} do reaching under bil gee grab of ankles to would be groper and drag him down , then end with 8 trillion air punches and a...?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Guys get stupid with applications, end up creating a completely different fighting system with similar name ....applications for every event, I wonder how big the manual of apps is ? example : page 4058 , subsection b paragraph 2 dealing with groper....
    Not sure I see what you are referencing from those clips. Maybe you're referring to the way Kernspecht's European Wing Tsun Organization teaches? I wouldn't really know about that. Actually, I learned the Chinese system from LT in a semi-private setting here in the States back in the 80s, but am no longer associated with the man. Apparently this is more of a political issue than I realized over in your part of the world. Sorry 'bout that.

I was just interested in the fluid quality of movement demonstrated. I found it surprisingly "yielding" and soft coming from a man with a large frame who, I'm told, was once really buff did a lot of powerlifting.

www.nationalvt.com/

That was a demo with a super compliant partner.

The guy might be able to fight, but you couldn't tell either way from the first vid. Haven't watched the rest.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Second was same as the first. The link for the third is broken.

Kernspecht claimed to have done some wrestling as well, though theres no evidence of such experience in either clip.'

It's easy to look good when the other guy isn't resisting. At all.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Isnt it easy to remain relaxed in the face of a non threatening, slow speed attack? Try remaining relaxed when the attack comes unexpectedly from someone who looks this guy a 265lb Pittsburgh Steeler linebacker. That is the true test.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    Isnt it easy to remain relaxed in the face of a non threatening, slow speed attack? Try remaining relaxed when the attack comes unexpectedly from someone who looks this guy a 265lb Pittsburgh Steeler linebacker. That is the true test.
    That's a heck of a high standard.... unless you are just as big and bad. The real question is what do you recommend to someone of much smaller size... say 5'8" and 150lbs, when the reality is that no level of skill can totally overcome such physical disparities. Except in the movies... Yes, and demos with compliant partners.

Still, I thought those videos showed a pretty interesting approach. Almost like Tai Chi with more striking. Personally, I'd like to be able to flow like that...even if it was just in drills with cooperative partners!

BTW I'll try to re-post the last clip again... the one where KK looks a bit like a Klingon. Apparently it messed up somehow the first time.

www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    That's a heck of a high standard.... unless you are just as big and bad. The real question is what do you recommend to someone of much smaller size... say 5'8" and 150lbs, when the reality is that no level of skill can totally overcome such physical disparities. Except in the movies... Yes, and demos with compliant partners.

Still, I thought those videos showed a pretty interesting approach. Almost like Tai Chi with more striking. Personally, I'd like to be able to flow like that...even if it was just in drills with cooperative partners!

BTW I'll try to re-post the last clip again... the one where KK looks a bit like a Klingon. Apparently it messed up somehow the first time.

All depends on the situation and how the bigger guy uses or missuses force ....

If force seeks a place to rest on you, but you dont allow it, then it cant be used against you....angling, mobility, timing, distance....and VT

The third clip reinforced rather than altered my previous judgements.

the one where KK looks a bit like a Klingon.
    More like Dracula. Creepy.

Hi there, just watched above clip , leaning forward, leaning back ,throwing away wc range for elbows, weak chops,lifting elbows for no reason, none of it makes much sense.You want to flow like that 'even if it was just in drills with cooperative partners' well thats how kernspecht does it, none of those subserviants are giving him anything back. Pure fantasy foo.

Quote Originally Posted by char1ce View Post
    Hi there, just watched above clip , leaning forward, leaning back ,throwing away wc range for elbows, weak chops,lifting elbows for no reason, none of it makes much sense.You want to flow like that 'even if it was just in drills with cooperative partners' well thats how kernspecht does it, none of those subserviants are giving him anything back. Pure fantasy foo.
    Hmmm, good eye char1ce. More diplomatic than my deleted its **** post

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Hmmm, good eye char1ce. More diplomatic than my deleted its **** post
    Yeah, what happened to those posts, anyway? Did they get moderated into oblivion? Oh well...

Addressing what char1ce said about movements made for "no reason" It looked to me like KKs movement was absolutely for a reason, ie in response to his partner's force...that is to say an exercise in "going with the flow". At least that's my take on it. The only way to truly know is to feel his energy for yourself, and as I said , I've never met the man. I have met some of his former students and they tended to be good.

As far as the "weak" chops go, I've personally found that very soft, heavy downward "chopping" motion (as found in the Biu Tze form) to be very strong. KK has not been generally faulted for weakiness or for producing wimpy students. I've worked with Emin, for example, and he is not weak!

www.nationalvt.com/

Pamela has a strong chop, and she does wt , you can tell by the signature elbow after 8 million punches , er ...what was I saying ..?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erNh2...eature=related

It looked to me like KKs movement was absolutely for a reason, ie in response to his partner's force.
    His partners gave him no force, so I don't know how you work that one out.

KK has not been generally faulted for weakiness or for producing wimpy students.
    Arguable, but the students in the vid all acted with extreme wimpiness.

That's a heck of a high standard.
    It is indeed a high standard but it is also reality where attackers are not trying to just tickle you. I am just pointing out that it is easier to be relaxed when the training is non threatening as in the videos. Probably even a day one newbie can accomplish that.