Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Overall Wing Chun Book

Hybrid View

Best Overall Wing Chun Book

What is the best book for Wing Chun out there? I have a few but im looking for something that covers all the terminology in one book. I thought I read somewhere that the WC Museum was putting together a major book on all thing Wing Chun but now im not finding anything. I mainly want something that covers the techniques and theories behind the art. I have trouble with some of the terminology and would also like accurate English translations of the techniques. I have often times ran into issues with different translations for a technique. We have gotten into several discussions in class about the names of techniques and my Sifu is not always there.

I am not sure if this is the best book as I have also just started Wing Chun, but this is one of the book I got.

Mastering Wing Chun by Grandmaster Samuel Kwok and Sifu Tony Massengill.

It covers all the forms empty hand forms and terminology. Also got history and so on.

Hasn't been written yet...coming hopefully soon

This is why no two people on the wing chun forum agrees on anything Wing chun. They all learn from books and they can't all seem to understand it, then they just say their lineage does this different or whatever so that they don't look or sound stupid. That's why only I have the real wing chun.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    This is why no two people on the wing chun forum agrees on anything Wing chun. They all learn from books and they can't all seem to understand it, then they just say their lineage does this different or whatever so that they don't look or sound stupid. That's why only I have the real wing chun.
    You have a good sense of humor eh?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You have a good sense of humor eh?
    I try. But am not always successful.
    Jackie Lee

Something for the VT Police to jump on I guess!!
    I thought you and Kev had taken over that role from T.

I still enjoy James Yimm Lee's book. Simple, direct, basic...like Wing Chun.
    That was the first KF book I ever bought, and I still think it stacks up pretty well.

Robert Chu and Rene Ritchie's book is a good read, and Rene's book on Yuen Kay San WCK is interesting as well.
    I have both - also the Gee/Meng Mastering WC, which is OK though I could do without Benny's political content, and nearly all the William Cheung books.

I too quite like Alan Gibson's books.

I also think "Strong on Defense" and Geoff Thompson's "Watch my Back" and "Dead or Alive" are essential reading for MAists of any persuasion.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    That's why only I have the real wing chun.
    Hilarious!!! You made my day!

One of my favorite books is "The Complete Wing Chun". I would be nice though if some WC Sifus would get together and do a book on each other's lineages. That would be a great seller since many people might not buy a book outside of their lineage but would buy a book that showed their lineage. The extra bonus being that they'd see other lineages as well.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

One of my favorite books is "The Complete Wing Chun". I would be nice though if some WC Sifus would get together and do a book on each other's lineages. That would be a great seller since many people might not buy a book outside of their lineage but would buy a book that showed their lineage. The extra bonus being that they'd see other lineages as well.
    That will be a best seller if all the WC Sifu on different lineages does get together and do a book or even dvd or seminar together. I know this will definitely help WC newbie like me, and others as well.

Also if Wing Chun of different lineage only cover some part of the jigsaw puzzles of the complete art (This is what I read online, as I am only a WC newbie, I do trust what I read online). Then if all Sifus get together, Wing Chun can finally be a complete picture.

Thanks for recommending the "The Complete Wing Chun" book, I just order it.
    Last edited by kowloonboy; 05-19-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    That will be a best seller if all the WC Sifu on different lineages does get together and do a book or even dvd or seminar together. I know this will definitely help WC newbie like me, and others as well.

Also if Wing Chun of different lineage only cover some part of the jigsaw puzzles of the complete art (This is what I read online, as I am only a WC newbie, I do trust what I read online). Then if all Sifus get together, Wing Chun can finally be a complete picture.

Thanks for recommending the "The Complete Wing Chun" book, I just order it.
    A book of DVD series would be the best thing ever for Wing Chun. I say this because NONE of us can say we have the real deal. We all have pieces of the whole pie.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

A book of DVD series would be the best thing ever for Wing Chun. I say this because NONE of us can say we have the real deal. We all have pieces of the whole pie.
    I agreed, but to be honest, I don't think these book or DVD series would never happens, but what I read so far online and my personal experience with other Kung Fu style Sifus. All my Kung Fu style Sifus always claimed that their style (Hung Gar, Praying Mantis, Shaolin, Tai Chi and so on) are better and they teaches the ultimate art and the answer to all situations. If you even dare to question them, but this style do this, they will ask beat you up in front of all students to make a point that their style is better than others.

I do hope this book and DVD series, or even a Wing Chun master of all lineage gathering does happen and come up with the complete curriculum, as it will help us a lot. I have studies many systems of Martial Arts before, and I do trust that Wing Chun is better for my personal physical build (But when I discover that there are a lot of missing jigsaw of different lineages of WC, it does put me off. If you go to learn Muay Thai - all school teach the same. If you go to a TKD school, they all teach the same, and so does most Martial Art system around the world. But do we have to go and try to learn from all styles of Wing Chun just to be complete?? Which is impossible)

BTW, I like your teaching and website a lot. Shame that I don't live in NYC.

I think these days DVD is better then book.

But, to learn WCK, it is better to go to school. Books and DVDs are just some reference.

Best overall wing chun book

I agreed, but to be honest, I don't think these book or DVD series would never happens, but what I read so far online and my personal experience with other Kung Fu style Sifus. All my Kung Fu style Sifus always claimed that their style (Hung Gar, Praying Mantis, Shaolin, Tai Chi and so on) are better and they teaches the ultimate art and the answer to all situations. If you even dare to question them, but this style do this, they will ask beat you up in front of all students to make a point that their style is better than others.

I do hope this book and DVD series, or even a Wing Chun master of all lineage gathering does happen and come up with the complete curriculum, as it will help us a lot. I have studies many systems of Martial Arts before, and I do trust that Wing Chun is better for my personal physical build (But when I discover that there are a lot of missing jigsaw of different lineages of WC, it does put me off. If you go to learn Muay Thai - all school teach the same. If you go to a TKD school, they all teach the same, and so does most Martial Art system around the world. But do we have to go and try to learn from all styles of Wing Chun just to be complete?? Which is impossible)

Kowloonboy go to everythingwingchun.com , they have wing chun materials of all the wing chun sifus in the world . DVD is better than book , the book does ' nt tell you how fast you need to be , the sifu will let you figure it out , although it just shows you pictures of how the art is suppose to be performed .

DVD shows you everything , unless the sifu is holding back on something from you .

Thank you. There are people here who have studied various lineages of WC including myself. Maybe a DVD collaboration with Sifus who have studied and taught other lineages is possible.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr