Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Overall Wing Chun Book

I would highly recommend Simply Wing Chun by Sifu Shawn Rawcliffe and also recommend the series of books by Sifu Alan Gibson (why wing chun works etc), but you will not find a resolution to the terminology in a book. The terminology in Wing Chun is difficult because the same shape can have different labels depending upon the energy applied / method of application even within the same lineage. When different lineages are brought together it gets even more confusing. When the Ip Man tong was originally thought of the VTAA convened a meeting with various senior sifus from hong kong and the mainland they spent hours arguing about techniques and the content of forms etc and noone could agree. Finally after one debate over whether a technique existed in Wing Chun or not one of the protagonists stood up and demonstrated what he was talking about and immediately everyone agreed that it was in the system but everyone had different names for the movement performed. In my opinion the label is ultimately unimportant and you would be far better spending your time practising the movements and their applications, exploring their strengths and their limitations than worrying about what things are called.

The best book has been written but not published yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    The best book has been written but not published yet.
    Any idea when?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Any idea when?
    I'm not sure. He did say he would wait until all the other people have realeased their books. I have a few paragraphs from it. It's not a how to book but rather WSL's thinking and a lot of WSL's hand written texts are in it. I can't wait but I would hazzard a guess that he may never do it. Rubbish huh. I think it's been a long time in the making. If you have read his booklet "Real Ving Tsun" there are some gems to be discovered. Something for the VT Police to jump on I guess!! LOL

G

Wing Chun Compendium

This book (actually two volumes) seems interesting and very thorough.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=1259&bih=728#

I'm not sure. He did say he would wait until all the other people have realeased their books. I have a few paragraphs from it. It's not a how to book but rather WSL's thinking and a lot of WSL's hand written texts are in it. I can't wait but I would hazzard a guess that he may never do it. Rubbish huh. I think it's been a long time in the making. If you have read his booklet "Real Ving Tsun" there are some gems to be discovered. Something for the VT Police to jump on I guess!! LOL

G
    Any way to get real VT? Or a photocopy?

I can send you photocopies but it is in german. I have read the english translations but havent got it. Desmond has it all I think.

If you know somebody who speaks german they can help you translate it. Failing that I can't help you out bro.

Philipp and Des have given me some good reading. Of course your Glenns and Spencers of this world wouldn't agree with it all because, like me, it contradicts their ideas! LOL

Sorry Spence.....you're alright really.

G

G
    I can send you photocopies but it is in german. I have read the english translations but havent got it. Desmond has it all I think.

If you know somebody who speaks german they can help you translate it. Failing that I can't help you out bro.

Philipp and Des have given me some good reading. Of course your Glenns and Spencers of this world wouldn't agree with it all because, like me, it contradicts their ideas! LOL

Sorry Spence.....you're alright really.

G

Excellent. I will pm address. I can work on translation.

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    I agreed, but to be honest, I don't think these book or DVD series would never happens, but what I read so far online and my personal experience with other Kung Fu style Sifus. All my Kung Fu style Sifus always claimed that their style (Hung Gar, Praying Mantis, Shaolin, Tai Chi and so on) are better and they teaches the ultimate art and the answer to all situations. If you even dare to question them, but this style do this, they will ask beat you up in front of all students to make a point that their style is better than others.

I do hope this book and DVD series, or even a Wing Chun master of all lineage gathering does happen and come up with the complete curriculum, as it will help us a lot. I have studies many systems of Martial Arts before, and I do trust that Wing Chun is better for my personal physical build (But when I discover that there are a lot of missing jigsaw of different lineages of WC, it does put me off. If you go to learn Muay Thai - all school teach the same. If you go to a TKD school, they all teach the same, and so does most Martial Art system around the world. But do we have to go and try to learn from all styles of Wing Chun just to be complete?? Which is impossible)

BTW, I like your teaching and website a lot. Shame that I don't live in NYC.
    Thank you. There are people here who have studied various lineages of WC including myself. Maybe a DVD collaboration with Sifus who have studied and taught other lineages is possible.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by wolf3001 View Post
    What is the best book for Wing Chun out there? I have a few but im looking for something that covers all the terminology in one book. I thought I read somewhere that the WC Museum was putting together a major book on all thing Wing Chun but now im not finding anything. I mainly want something that covers the techniques and theories behind the art. I have trouble with some of the terminology and would also like accurate English translations of the techniques. I have often times ran into issues with different translations for a technique. We have gotten into several discussions in class about the names of techniques and my Sifu is not always there.
    Probably could find this information on the internet with judicious research.

Hey Kev,

I can translate the text from German to English if you'd like, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean66 View Post
    Hey Kev,

I can translate the text from German to English if you'd like, no worries.
    Do you have it already ? let me know and I can pm you shipping details to me.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I still enjoy James Yimm Lee's book. Simple, direct, basic...like Wing Chun.

I have always been curious about Randy Williams' series. I saw one of his videos and I enjoyed his presentation.

Robert Chu and Rene Ritchie's book is a good read, and Rene's book on Yuen Kay San WCK is interesting as well.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Kev,
    No, I don't have it. But if someone can send me the German text, I can translate it pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You have a good sense of humor eh?
    I try. But am not always successful.
    Jackie Lee