Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please recommend good WC school for me to attend in London

Please recommend good WC school for me to attend in London

Hi, as most of you are aware that I am new to Wing Chun. Prior to Wing Chun training I had other MA training. I have only studied WC so far from DVDs and Books. Could people recommend a few school for me to check out in London (UK) to see which one is good for my training. As by myself I can't do Chi Sao and sparring by myself. Please advise. I also heard about Grandmaster Kwok who is about 6 hours travel away from me, who is also highly recommend as a International Yip Man WC technician. Kamon Wing Chun is also another recommendation from others for London. Also Alan Orr, and Nino Bernardo Wing Chun, also Austin Goh Wing Chun. Please advice. Thanks

Desmond Spencer, Wong Shun Leung, Philipp Bayer lineage , South london and Swiss Cottage.

Desmond Spencer for sure!

You seem to be well researched as it is!

But I had to post here becaue I couldn't have you being bombarded by the PB crew because their 'Des' the Destroyer is definitely not the only option in London Although he may be a good option for you, if you like the way he teaches.

PM me your postcode and I will see if I know anyone close to you.

And I'm not talking of only Lee Shing/Austin Goh/Joe Lee guys either. I am proud to know an array of good Wing Chun teachers in London as I have 'done the rounds' so to speak

Here's what the WC Archive has listed
    http://www.wcarchive.com/html/school...ed-kingdom.htm
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-23-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Spencer

Desmond has been practicing Ving Tsun since 1976. He was with Victor Kan (Kan Wah Chit) for many many years. Most of his students were with Pasco David.

Desmond has students from Nino Bernado and he also tried Bernado out himself. He even went with Clive Potter for a while as I did. Desmond knows many people in Ving Tsun. It was Desmond that first encouraged me to go to Philipp Bayer because I had given hope with "other" lineages. What is wrong with giving that guy a point in the right direction based on experience???

I would suggest he tries Desmond out last then he can give us all his opinion on how it fares with the rest!!!!

You are correct though.....there are good Wing Chun instructors in London and some nice people (not all) but the quality of the Wing Chun from teacher will be in question as it is everywhere. Don't you think I would be training in London otherwise???

G

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Spencer

Desmond has been practicing Ving Tsun since 1976. He was with Victor Kan (Kan Wah Chit) for many many years. Most of his students were with Pasco David.

Desmond has students from Nino Bernado and he also tried Bernado out himself. He even went with Clive Potter for a while as I did. Desmond knows many people in Ving Tsun. It was Desmond that first encouraged me to go to Philipp Bayer because I had given hope with "other" lineages. What is wrong with giving that guy a point in the right direction based on experience???

I would suggest he tries Desmond out last then he can give us all his opinion on how it fares with the rest!!!!

You are correct though.....there are good Wing Chun instructors in London and some nice people (not all) but the quality of the Wing Chun from teacher will be in question as it is everywhere. Don't you think I would be training in London otherwise???

G
    I think I must give Desmond Spenser a try. Does his school have any website?

Actually I don't mind traveling for a few hours outside of London, if I can learn good Wing Chun.

Any other suggestion. Anyone know if Master Leo Au Yeung (http://www.chinesekungfu.co.uk/) is a good teacher, in fighting? I am looking for Wing Chun School which covers forms, as well as realistic sparring. But I am not looking for sport orientated sparring.

What is wrong with giving that guy a point in the right direction based on experience???
    Nothing wrong in that at all G!

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    Anyone know if Master Leo Au Yeung (http://www.chinesekungfu.co.uk/) is a good teacher, in fighting?
    Isn't he Ip Chuns 'London guy'? If it's the same gent I met a while back he is a good guy, but not sure of he condones the 'free fighting' you're looking for...
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-23-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I think I must give Desmond Spenser a try. Does his school have any website?

I am looking for Wing Chun School which covers forms, as well as realistic sparring. But I am not looking for sport orientated sparring.
    Everything in our lineage is directed towards sparring. Sparring with the pole and the knives as well as open handed. The training is tough and there are some good guys there!

We have twice yearly training camps in Menorca. Philipp is always doing seminars all around Europe and if you become competent enough there are sparring seminars held for a week in Germany. A certain amount of fitness is required for this though or it's not possible to go purely because you won't survive the week and therefore disrupt the group.

G
    Last edited by Graham H; 05-23-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Everything in our lineage is directed towards sparring. Sparring with the pole and the knives as well as open handed. The training is tough and there are some good guys there!
    Wow, sparring with pole and knives as well. This is WSL lineage right? I saw this clips of
    Philipp Bayer and Wong Shun Leung in Hong Kong
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwaZxsYkEcU

I can see boxing punch bags in the clip. Will I learn how to use the punch bags for Wing Chun training if I got with WSL Lineage Wing Chun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgHUWQU3hg

Does WSL Wing Chun have High Kicks?

Wow, sparring with pole and knives as well. This is WSL lineage right? I saw this clips of
    Philipp Bayer and Wong Shun Leung in Hong Kong
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwaZxsYkEcU

I can see boxing punch bags in the clip. Will I learn how to use the punch bags for Wing Chun training if I got with WSL Lineage Wing Chun?
    Unfortunately a lot of systems see the weapons as "traditional" and detached from the rest of the forms. In some schools of thought they were added in at a later date in exchange for open handed techniques. Once you understand the weapons they are to intergrated for this to be true. In fact the weapons aid open handed fighting in their own right.

We use heavy bags for developing structure in the punch as well as the correct exchange of force in Poon Sau. They are not for boxing but specifically for developing our main weapon.

GH

There's a lot of WC in London.

My suggestion would be to go to Michael Louison. He has skill based on the youtube clips I have seen and seems to have a very calm demeanor conducive to learning.

Also plenty of good MMA schools too (just saying...)

Suki
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

please recommend good WC school for me to attend in London

Hi, as most of you are aware that I am new to Wing Chun. Prior to Wing Chun training I had other MA training. I have only studied WC so far from DVDs and Books. Could people recommend a few school for me to check out in London (UK) to see which one is good for my training. As by myself I can't do Chi Sao and sparring by myself. Please advise. I also heard about Grandmaster Kwok who is about 6 hours travel away from me, who is also highly recommend as a International Yip Man WC technician. Kamon Wing Chun is also another recommendation from others for London. Also Alan Orr, and Nino Bernardo Wing Chun, also Austin Goh Wing Chun. Please advice. Thanks
    Kowloonboy , the best thing to do for yourself is to check out the WC schools in your area , check out the sifu as well , and research the way he teaches his class and from there make your own decisions . But because you ' re going to be learning and training under a sifu anyway , you need to find the type of sifu that you feel comfortable with , not with a sifu that you feel uncomfortable with , so research and hope you find the sifu that you really feel the balance with . I would
    persoanlly feel the same way too .

Leo Au Yeung is my Si Fu, he knows his stuff for sure, advocates traditional learning as well as thorough practical fighting applications, drilling, sparring & hard work; not sport based; disclaimer - although I don't learn or practice wing chun (wc definitely not my bag, no thanks)... he also practices/teaches hung gar kuen as passed down by Lau Kar Leung; Lau family have drilled him good, they're no joke, he knows his martials. I'm sure he's probably as effective in transmitting wc as hung kuen.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    There's a lot of WC in London.

My suggestion would be to go to Michael Louison. He has skill based on the youtube clips I have seen and seems to have a very calm demeanor conducive to learning.

Also plenty of good MMA schools too (just saying...)

Suki
    Couldnt recommend him highly enough
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond