Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goat Restraining or Pigeon Toed Stance

Goat Restraining or Pigeon Toed Stance

Because I am from the William Cheung branch we do not use this at all. Over the years I have heard many arguments against this being used in any way or at least as a fighting stance. I have read a bit about it but not enough to really understand it. So I am going to ask what is it's uses and how is it used in your system if you use it at all? Cheung practiced Wing Chun under Ip Man I find it hard to understand why it's not used in our system if he had learned it. I have seen a few who come from other branches doing Siu Lim Tau and it seemed to me they left it out as well but I think they used it in other areas.

As a fighting stance I don't see it's usefulness although I have seen some similar techniques in other arts but they were used only as a step in transitioning between stances. One such example was talking about protecting the Femoral Artery during a knife attack. This came from a Ninjutsu technique I read about as a kid. I believe I have even seen Hung Gar people turning into such a stance but again it was a transitioning movement between stances.

Hello,

The stance is for training, not for fighting. I doubt you will find anyone, compentent anyhow, trying to utilize this stance in actual combat. However, this stance is found in many other arts to include several of the Silat or Kuntao variety.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

It's clearly not a fighting stance despite what some practitioners of a certain lineage assert. IMO, it's used to strengthen legs, and for internal strength development.
    Here is what CST says
    "We want to measure a good position with the natural stance or Yee Chi Kim Yeung Ma. After finishing the natural stance, both of my feet are angle inward to form a triangle shape if you image there are two lines extends from my both feet where the tip of my toes and the tip of my heel to the front of my body. When both imaginary lines of my feet reached an intersection, it creates a point. This point is where we put our entire body force. When we punch, we must use that point as our target."
    He goes on to say you are supposed to pull up the perineum, straighten the spine and thus the 'hei' will rise. I am assuming corresponds to chi.
    Last edited by trubblman; 05-22-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73 View Post
    Hello,

The stance is for training, not for fighting. I doubt you will find anyone, compentent anyhow, trying to utilize this stance in actual combat. However, this stance is found in many other arts to include several of the Silat or Kuntao variety.
    We use it to train the foot angles that in turn stabilize the hip joint. We deliver lateral GING force simultaneously as we strike /deflect , pak sao, tan elbow, jum elbow, Bong sao = <sharp energy> left or right relative to the joan sien [centerline] so we have to have a good hip base with knees inwards and hips stabilized.
    Also in chi-sao striking drilling , each partner is aligning intensive pressure of strikes in rotation, tan strike elbow force >versus< jum strike elbow force, each arm creating an invisible plane of equilibrium, as this happens the hips are fighting to stay forwards constantly in a battle of stability with the partner, not sparring yet just preparing the structure delivering the arms.
    Each partner is deliberately placing the other in an exchange of force. The hips need to stay forwards to allow the legs to drive them forwards , ie not try to lean forwards to compensate....
    We move from this equilateral stance into testing structures in motion, seung ma toi ma , seung ma toi ma with angling, etc...then drills with no pre-contact to simulate the angles adopted in chi-sao but using the developed strong stances in motion with striking and parrying in tactical lines of engagement randomly, furthering into free sparring.
    Many ime don't do this form of chi-sao and usually do the steering wheel wristing hand chase bs thing that doesn't translate to the aforementioned drilling ideas. WHY ?
    because they don't encompass striking and alignment with structured force to back them up. they go into 'statue blocking' and turning stances to 're-direct' force with whole body instead of more efficient strikes with dual deflecting ability.
    Its not a fighting stance, just a neutral training stance to move from, as posted above the triangulation helps students to focus their lines.
    even in chum kil the leading foot is turned slightly inwards for this thinking, stability. The SLT ygkym conditions this .
    Last edited by k gledhill; 05-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    It's clearly not a fighting stance despite what some practitioners of a certain lineage assert. . .
    As a TWC Sifu I will agree that it's not a fighting stance.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Not a fighting stance...

Blog Entries
    If this is the stance that we are talking about here, I believe it could be used as a fighting stance on a small boat in the old China. Any snow ski beginner will know how to use this stance on ski slope.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=67&ty=46
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-22-2011 at 07:44 PM.

Here is what Chu Shong Tin thinks of SLT; I think he says it best and most authoritatively:

http://www.tstvingtsun.bc.ca/HiddenP...SNT_remix.html

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    His view, isnt everyones....the 'arc' of the arms he uses to make beachball arm rolling chi-sao even my old sifu said you cant touch him becasue he rolls like a balloon and he ...doesnt fight
    I think you went off on a tangent. The thread is about YGKYM stance - what is it's purpose, not chi sao. People answered the first part of his question, that is not for fighting. The second is if not for fighting then why do it? That's why I quoted the article.
    Last edited by trubblman; 05-22-2011 at 08:46 PM.

I have heard things about the stance dealing with Chi cultivation but have little to no knowledge in Chi Gung like exercises. When we do Siu Lim Tau our toes point forward legs are about shoulder width apart knees slightly bent. My Sifu would at times make us go through the form extremely slow until your legs would burn.

This is exactly what im talking about. This seems to much but like this depiction I have seen people doing this I mean really leaning. To me it looks like someone could push you right over. I have also seen people shifting into a side stance leaning heavily on one side.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=67&ty=46

A Side Stance like this to me seems like limiting your ability to move from side to side quickly. Am I wrong here? I keep a 50/50 weight distribution this seems like your leaning on one leg. To me pinning you down making it slow to change directions. Even the Front Stance I have seen usually has leaning on the back leg.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_syir5ZkTiz...+Forwork+2.jpg

Other than the hand position this is what I am most used to if his lead foot was turned in a bit more about 45 degrees.
    http://www.theonetwopunch.com/images/fittip1199.jpg

Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma
    Character 2 clamping (the) goat, stance

Yee Jee - Character two (number 2)
    Kim - clamping/squeezing
    Yeung - Goat
    Mah - Horse (stance)
    We train the stance using the character two as in the second column second row. Many use the pigeon toed stance like the character 8 as in the third column sixth row.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-22-2011 at 09:51 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    I think you went off on a tangent. The thread is about YGKYM stance - what is it's purpose, not chi sao. People answered the first part of his question, that is not for fighting. The second is if not for fighting then why do it? That's why I quoted the article.
    that why I deleted it....

In my opinion, "Yeung" as in "Yang" and not "goat". So the stance trains the "squeezing" of yang power, which resides within the entire pelvic apparatus.

The "Yee Jee" is the number two character, the "Uneven lines" as the power and the whole framework is asymmetric everywhere.

It is a training stance, not fighting stance.

For fighting I use the stance from Baat Jaam Dou.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    In my opinion, "Yeung" as in "Yang" and not "goat". So the stance trains the "squeezing" of yang power, which resides within the entire pelvic apparatus.

The "Yee Jee" is the number two character, the "Uneven lines" as the power and the whole framework is asymmetric everywhere.

Your opinion is fine with me but the character used IS goat and not the character for Yang. Romanizations can be complicated for some Westerners. It's easy enough to research the Chinese character on the web.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post

羊 Yeung - Goat (used in the WC stance) In Yip Man WC. Not sure about other lineages.
    陽 Yang - as in the Taoist belief
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-23-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr