Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Wing Chun Lineage with Chin Na and Throw

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Can we get back to the bubbles ?

As far as Brave/o , fair enough, VT has been so *******ized for the commercial side its lost its way LONGggg ago, UFC did it a favor and slapped its proverbial face awake
    Better to be woken up than let snooze in a delusional daydream any longer.

So what changes has VT made since the Gracie/ufc started Kevin?

To be honest, hardly anything worth a mention IMO

+1 for the bubbles
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

No. Actually, YouKnowWho posted an example from his personal experience but that's missing the point. I posted examples from Judo, MMA and Jujustu because it makes a stronger argument. If I post examples from TCMA you could always say that well, that's ok for some CMA schuck but that would never work against XYZ. So I made a point of pulling examples from the experiences of the "opposing side". That's just standard rhetorical technique. In any topic, doesn't have to be MA, you should always base your arguments on evidence that the other side has already accepted otherwise you end up begging the question.

Again, as YouKnowWho has pointed out, the arm breaks I showed in 2 of the 3 clips are standard Shuai Jiao techniques which many Shuai Jiao people train to apply in combat. His own teacher has been successful applying it even against a trained boxer. If I view the argument from Faxipraxy's shoes, or from your shoes perhaps, then it still begs the question: Is anecdotal evidence from a TCMA guy reliable as having actually happened? Maybe the "boxer" was just some semi-trained tomato can. Maybe it was actually just a hobbyest or an inexperienced amateur.
    Holy crap, I'm back in English class.

Are you now moving the goalposts?
    No, I'm looking at the argument from my own shoes, and marvelling at your facility for the mixed metaphor...
    Last edited by anerlich; 06-22-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Holy crap, I'm back in English class.
    Just remember to raise your hand first next time if you want to ask a question.
    No, I'm looking at the argument from my own shoes, and marvelling at your facility for the mixed metaphor...
    As long as we're in English class, I feel like I should point out that I was not using a metaphor. That was an analogy.

Just remember to raise your hand first next time if you want to ask a question.
    No questions, but my middle finger is raised.

That was an analogy.
    "Looking" and "shoes" are not analogous.

Back to school for you, fish-boy.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    So what changes has VT made since the Gracie/ufc started Kevin?

To be honest, hardly anything worth a mention IMO
    Your opinion, noted.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    No questions, but my middle finger is raised.
    "Looking" and "shoes" are not analogous.

Back to school for you, fish-boy.
    "looking" and "shoes" are also both from your post, not mine. So, back to ESL class until you figure out how comments from your post are indicative of me mixing metaphors.

Or are you just off your meds again and therefor confused about which comments came from outside your head and which comments were your own. . .

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I found them quite similar, but Roger was defnitely the 'elder'

Either way, from a BJJ perspective and what has been proven on an international competition level, you don't get any better than those two guys ground skills wise.

Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    I am new to Wing Chun, and I read there are Chin Na and Throws in Wing Chun. But also I have read that Chin Na and Throws doesn't exist in Wing Chun.

Could people please advice me if Wing Chun have Chin Na and Throws? Also if it does exist, then which lineage will this be in? Thanks
    My instructor has an instructorship in Chin Na so there was an emphasis on it with our Wing Chun. It is the basis for a lot of our nonlethal self-defense. All wrist locks and so forth are Chin Na. You could call it WC. I suppose, but a lot of people just think of it is Chin Na elements within WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Either way, from a BJJ perspective and what has been proven on an international competition level, you don't get any better than those two guys ground skills wise.
    Agreed. But I do have very limited knowledge of others and I use what I briefly learnt from these gents to assess what I see and hear.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    My instructor has an instructorship in Chin Na so there was an emphasis on it with our Wing Chun. It is the basis for a lot of our nonlethal self-defense. All wrist locks and so forth are Chin Na. You could call it WC. I suppose, but a lot of people just think of it is Chin Na elements within WC.
    Kind of like what I was suggesting about teachers having a TCM background. Accupuncture, Tui Na and especially herbal remedies were what my own Sigung was recognised for in the Chinese community, among other things like teaching Chinese reading, writing and Cooking skills, THEN his Martial Arts!

This is why the old term of 'Sifu' meant many things then.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

So, back to ESL class until you figure out how comments from your post are indicative of me mixing metaphors
    Omar, you would be one of the fish John West rejected. I'm going to follow his example.
    Last edited by anerlich; 06-24-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Agreed. But I do have very limited knowledge of others and I use what I briefly learnt from these gents to assess what I see and hear.
    Unfortunately ground skills develop slowly over time. Attending one seminar with Braulio and Roger is really not going to make much difference at all in that respect unless you are putting into practice what you learned by training consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Unfortunately ground skills develop slowly over time. Attending one seminar with Braulio and Roger is really not going to make much difference at all in that respect unless you are putting into practice what you learned by training consistently.
    I didn't 'attend' this seminar, I organised it with business partners so we all had some time to chat about our stuff.

And, like I've said, I'm a Wing Chun loyalist who is not too interested in taking up wrestling/BJJ/Judo etc BUT if I did I would track these guys down. FWIW the best thing I learnt from Braulio and Roger was just their basic pleasurable attitude and approach to basic warm ups!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術