Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clip: Chen Style power generation demos

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Those same two throws are used in judo.
    Sure they are, but you won't see them express like that with the opponent flying away. That's not the way reality works. You can see that by simply watching judo matches.

Quote Originally Posted by faxiapreta View Post
    Sure they are, but you won't see them express like that with the opponent flying away. That's not the way reality works. You can see that by simply watching judo matches.
    Please, share judo clips of those throws where the other guy isn't thrown similar distance. I've seen plenty of judo clips of one of those throws done better, throwing further, not nearer.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Please, share judo clips of those throws where the other guy isn't thrown similar distance. I've seen plenty of judo clips of one of those throws done better, throwing further, not nearer.
    Judo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhdGdKqJdQ

Greco Roman (which is actually what real jacketless throws are like):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36oSF8vNd0A

Notice how in just about all of the throws, both opponents end up on the ground. This is what happens when skilled, resisting competitors attempt to throw each other. It's very hard to actually launch an opponent away from you because, most of the time he has grips.
    Last edited by faxiapreta; 05-26-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Looked like his "opponent" was simply "going with the flow" and not offering any kind of counter-resistance against the throws.

Use your brains people. If someone really was able to throw a grappler around like that, it would make much more sense (and would happen regularly) to enter a high level greco-roman tourney and throw some real grapplers around.
    If you think that was "going with flow" then you have no idea what you're looking at. More like "helpless against the flow."

EO

Am I to take it that you don't know the name on judo of the throws we're discussing, in order to compare apples to apples?

He is correct that it is not clips of two equals, but, since he brought it up, comparing the SAME throws would be more useful for discussion.

Am I to take it that you don't know the name on judo of the throws we're discussing, in order to compare apples to apples?
    OK, to compare apples to apples, please show judo competitions in which the opponents are being launched away as in that clip.

To better compare apples to apples, please show greco-roman competitions.
    Last edited by faxiapreta; 05-26-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    If you think that was "going with flow" then you have no idea what you're looking at. More like "helpless against the flow."

EO
    Again, use your brain. There is a reason you never see people being launched like that over and over again in judo or greco roman competitions.

If this was real, it would be a simple matter for him to do this in a greco-roman tourney, right?

There is a video showing the great Judo master Mifune doing throws on his students, he was a tiny man and already of advanced age and he sends those bigger and younger opponents flying.
    He was probably the best Judoka ever.
    His students were NOT resisting him in that demo.
    Demo are just that, demos.
    The demonstrate something in a very specific setting and typiclaly the guy getting demoed on goes with the flow since there is no reason NOT to.
    Its not a set-up or anything like that, it is simply a demo.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I think what is lacking in this discussion of internal/external is that we can say, this looks like this or this looks like that, but what's missing is that you can't really see "internal" unless you really know what to look for...you can really only differentiate when you FEEL the difference. This is why we laugh at people who learn from DVDs. Yes, you know the shape, the external part, but you don't know how it's supposed to feel--the kinetics of it. Big limitation of discussing MA on this forum.

But that's a good point that an opponent would be grabbing you and might not launch away like that. Doesn't negate what I'm saying though.

EO

But that's a good point that an opponent would be grabbing you and might not launch away like that. Doesn't negate what I'm saying though.

EO
    There is no "internal" or "short power" that is different than what everyone else is using in any other high level athletic competition. If anything, elite level competitive athletes have more of this than any recreational martial artist or teacher who hasn't competed at the elite levels.

Blog Entries
    There is no "internal" or "short power" ...
    The short power does exist. It's quite useful in the grip fight and mostly used for defense and counter (not very useful for offense in wrestling).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9woHnhcNfY
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-26-2011 at 11:38 AM.

I think what is lacking in this discussion of internal/external is that we can say, this looks like this or this looks like that, but what's missing is that you can't really see "internal" unless you really know what to look for...you can really only differentiate when you FEEL the difference. This is why we laugh at people who learn from DVDs. Yes, you know the shape, the external part, but you don't know how it's supposed to feel--the kinetics of it. Big limitation of discussing MA on this forum.
    And that is why for someone to demonstrate high level skills, they must be done against other high level practitioners who are attempting to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The short power does exist. It's quite useful in the grip fight and mostly used for defense and counter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9woHnhcNfY

Really? You think that was real?

Again, use your brain. There is a reason you don't see that happening in any kind of competition... because it doesn't work. It would be great if it did, and people who competed would love to be able to do that. The fact is, it doesn't, though, and that's why you don't see it, other than in demos where the "opponent" jumps away.

"short power" is simply an explosive use of force over a short distance.
    Boxers show it every time they do a "short hook" or short uppercut.
    Hockey players do it every time they do a wicked wrist shot.
    Wrestlers do it every time they give another wrestler the turkish oil check !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !