Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why wwe wrestling needs more reviews...

why wwe wrestling needs more reviews...

This is a startling little article over at wrestlinginc.com
    http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2011/0522/539855/

From 1991's wrestlemania VII, a full quarter of the performers are now dead from heart attacks and drug overdoses for the most part.

the same cannot be said for NFL superbowl starters of that year, or even Boxers.

And that's what happens when a car salesmen runs a stable of athletes.

Beware.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

UH....If men in America want to risk their health to be on a male soap opera, that's their right.

Life, liberty, and the right to be stupid!!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

so, no accountability? no regulation? no oversight like in other pro sports?

This is a big sport a huge money maker and apparently dangerous for the performers involved for any number of reasons from doping to dubious management practices.

May as well make a sport of jumping off a bridge with no rope for 25% of the participants.

I agree you can't legislate against stupidity, but you can make sure people have difficulty exploiting stupidity.

Also, you've pretty much made the statement for all fighting sports. Which doctors will tell you outright these days are a stupid activity to be involved in due to the high amount and repetition of concussions that occur which in fact limit quality of life even when you are young.

Who knows what people are losing with every impact on their brain?
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 05-25-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

IMO it's not a sport, it's entertainment. Sure there's athletic ability involved but in no way you can consider it a sport. It's sad to hear these guys destroy their body in that way and end up paying the ultimate price, but it's their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    IMO it's not a sport, it's entertainment. Sure there's athletic ability involved but in no way you can consider it a sport. It's sad to hear these guys destroy their body in that way and end up paying the ultimate price, but it's their choice.
    Sport is entertainment by definition bud. Boxing is entertainment, so is football, wrestling etc.

It's a sport like any other by all definitions of sport. Is it fair? no, probably not. lol
    It is a lot of theatre, but then, so is a lot of sport.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't consider it a sport either. They are obviously very athletic people. Especially the luchadors(sp?).

But, in reality, there is no competition or game involved. It's a prearranged set of movements where they already know the outcome.

I'd consider it more akin to something like the Shaolin Wheel of Life things than I would a sporting event.

Again, i'm not saying the guys aren't athletic. That's obviously not true. Just isn't a sport, imo.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    UH....If men in America want to risk their health to be on a male soap opera, that's their right.

Life, liberty, and the right to be stupid!!
    I completely agree.

so, no accountability? no regulation? no oversight like in other pro sports?
    Back in the 1994 Vince McMahon was put on trial for distributing steroids. He was acquitted.

They are not as heavily regulated as boxing, MMA, football, etc because they are not a sport by legal definition.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post
    They are not as heavily regulated as boxing, MMA, football, etc because they are not a sport by legal definition.
    "legal" definition?

Ok, so what is teh "legal" definition of sport.

here's the dictionary definition of it.
    noun /spôrt/ 
    sports, plural

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment
    - team sports such as baseball and soccer
    - a sports center

Entertainment; fun
    - it was considered great sport to trip him up

A source of amusement or entertainment
    - I do not wish to show myself the sport of a man like Williams

A person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation
    - go on, be a sport!
    - Angela's a bad sport

An animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type, esp. in form or color, as a result of spontaneous mutation
    so, "legal"? whatever.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I still wouldn't categorize it as a sport, bud. There is no competition for the ultimate prize, they know who's coming home with the gold at the end of the day. By using that web definition you could call anything made for entertainment a sport. Their primary purpose is to entertain the fans.

It isn't a competition...
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

The wrestlers are very well aware of the health risks of their job.They are willing to sacrifice it because preforming in front of an audience is addictive to them.

Personally i find it quite brave that one is willing to make such a trade

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    The wrestlers are very well aware of the health risks of their job.They are willing to sacrifice it because preforming in front of an audience is addictive to them.

Personally i find it quite brave that one is willing to make such a trade
    All a matter of perspective I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    It isn't a competition...
    Uh, you'd be surprised at how many so called "competitions" are not that at all.

I think people would be outraged if they knew how money effected the outcomes of games.

Anyway, what you guys "think" a sport is, versus the very definition of it from whatever dictionary you choose which defines words and their meaning is irrelevant.

really it is. Sorry to let you down, but something isn't suddenly something else because you personally don't want to see it that way. lol.

or, just because you think so and say so doesn't mean it's true.

so, by definition, wwe is a sport and in fact advertises itself as such. Anyway, this was not the point of the thread.

It is an observation that unregulated sport-entertainment involving violence real or contrived is in actually... not a very intelligent thing to do. It is startling the amount of deaths that have happened from what seems to be a need to compromise yourself in an effort to stay at the top of the game and not get relegated to the lower ranks.

This is where the idea of sport and competition gets sad and self defeating.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Uh, you'd be surprised at how many so called "competitions" are not that at all.

I think people would be outraged if they knew how money effected the outcomes of games.

Anyway, what you guys "think" a sport is, versus the very definition of it from whatever dictionary you choose which defines words and their meaning is irrelevant.

really it is. Sorry to let you down, but something isn't suddenly something else because you personally don't want to see it that way. lol.

or, just because you think so and say so doesn't mean it's true.

so, by definition, wwe is a sport and in fact advertises itself as such. Anyway, this was not the point of the thread.

It is an observation that unregulated sport-entertainment involving violence real or contrived is in actually... not a very intelligent thing to do. It is startling the amount of deaths that have happened from what seems to be a need to compromise yourself in an effort to stay at the top of the game and not get relegated to the lower ranks.

This is where the idea of sport and competition gets sad and self defeating.
    And just because YOU declare it is a sport doesn't make it so. Sorry.

The ONLY reason the government can get involved in professional sports is because pro leagues are afforded anti-trust exemption. WWE has no anti-trust exemption, and therefore the government has no business regulating any part of it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.