Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: October 21, 2011: Rapture Redux

lazy ******* and ungrateful asses!!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I call it the lazy ******* and ungrateful ass syndrome.
    These people want God to fix all their problems, all the crap we did to this world, they want God to fix.
    Even though Genesis makes it clear that we are responsible for this world ( stewards of creation), they want God to fix everything and, of course, make THEM the "kings" along with Christ.
    That sounds so much like our forum here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Coming up on the 1st anniversary of the 1st end of the world

He was just a year too early.
    As May 21 Anniversary Approaches, Family Radio Avoids End of World Talk
    Posted on May 7, 2012 by Jennifer Waits

A year ago I was growing increasingly fascinated with Family Radio as they became the center of a media frenzy over their President Harold Camping’s predictions of global catastrophe on May 21, 2011. Billboards promoting their Judgment Day pronouncements were present all over the world and Camping’s live call-in talk program, “Open Forum,” ratcheted up its program schedule and at one point was on the air every night of the week.

When I visited Family Radio’s headquarters on May 12, 2011, the place was buzzing with activity and the studios were filled with not only supporters (some of whom had traveled from across the country in advance of the “rapture”), but also with reporters from several media outlets. Although many of the staff were vocal about their support for Camping’s Judgment Day predictions (evidenced by either what they said or by their May 21-themed T-shirts and caps), I also heard quiet grumblings to the contrary.

Camping has obviously had to backtrack quite a bit after the world failed to erupt in a series of rolling earthquakes on May 21, 2011. And he had to again issue some statements of apology when his final end of world prediction for October 21, 2011 did not materialize.

Although Camping’s regular on-air gig at Family Radio ended following Camping’s stroke in June, 2011; he has continued to issue a series of written and audio announcements since that time. In March he stated that Family Radio would no longer be in the business of predicting a date for Judgment Day and true to that word, his most recent message, dated April 27, 2012, makes no mention of the rapture or Judgment Day, and instead focuses on the importance of spreading the word about the Bible. He ends the message by saying, “May God see God’s mercy upon Family Radio. He has blessed us for over 50 years and he is still blessing us with faithful listeners and supporters, with beautiful Godly music, with good messages that we air and so on and with a faithful staff. Indeed we have so much for which to be thankful to the lord.”

Behind the scenes, Family Radio has been making some changes to its station roster. As we’ve reported, they’ve sold off some of their higher value radio stations located on the commercial end of the dial. Their Philadelphia-area station WKDN, now owned by Merlin Media and known as WWIQ, began its post-Family Radio life by playing Sean Hannity programming for 24 hours a day, much to the disappointment of former Family Radio listeners. Today, WWIQ introduced its new talk format featuring not only Hannity, but also Glenn Beck. The new WWIQ website states, “The New IQ 106.9 FM is the Delaware Valley’s new home for Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck. Hidden beyond the reach of big government and corporate media in an abandoned power plant in Fishtown, IQ 106.9 is fair and balanced, not live and liberal.”

WFSI in Maryland was also sold off and is now owned by CBS. It’s rumored that more sales may be in the works, especially after long-time Family Radio Station WFME in Newark, New Jersey requested that the station be converted from non-commercial to commercial status. That request was granted by the FCC in February. Both WKDN and WFSI were converted to commercial stations prior to being sold to their new owners.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You know, IF it does end on Dec 21 2012 I don't know if I'll be laughing or crying, LMAO !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You people are so awful, you've made god go and kill himself!

No wonder you're obsessed with such an arbitrary thing a numerology! lol

end of the world. The world ends for someone, somewhere, every single day.

People gotta stop crying for mommy and daddy and take responsibility for their lives and accountability for their actions.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i guess that would depend on what happens. big natural catastrophes would suck....demon armegeddon i can handle, i'll slay me some demons.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You people are so awful, you've made god go and kill himself!

No wonder you're obsessed with such an arbitrary thing a numerology! lol

end of the world. The world ends for someone, somewhere, every single day.

People gotta stop crying for mommy and daddy and take responsibility for their lives and accountability for their actions.
    You're no fun !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

you shoulda seen how he called me down in the troll thread
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I wish the rapture would just happen so we can get all the a$$holes off-world.

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunabq View Post
    i wish the rapture would just happen so we can get all the a$$holes off-world.
    lol!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    uh...

Kung Fu is good for you.

Oldest Mayan calendar found

this new discovered calendar extends time beyond the current 'doomsday date' so everyone can just SHADDDUP

Quote Originally Posted by WingChunABQ View Post
    Irony is fun.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

And so it ends

RIP Harold Camping
    Harold Camping, Dogged Forecaster of the End of the World, Dies at 92
    Chris Pietsch/The Register-Guard, via Associated Press

A billboard in Eugene, Ore., showing a prediction that Harold Camping amended to Oct. 21, 2011.
    By ROBERT D. McFADDEN
    Published: December 17, 2013

Harold Camping, a Christian radio entrepreneur and biblical soothsayer who stirred consternation, ecstasy, complaints to the Federal Communications Commission and widespread ridicule by repeatedly prophesying the end of the world — twice in 2011 — died on Sunday at his home in Alameda, Calif. He was 92.

Jim Wilson/The New York Times

Mr. Camping hosted a show.

The cause was complications from a fall, the Family Radio network said in a statement on Monday night.

To a global following probably in the millions, Mr. Camping was the personification of the Family Radio network, broadcasting a nondenominational Christian ministry from Oakland, Calif., over scores of stations in the United States and 30 other countries. For 50 years he was the charismatic host of the network’s “Open Forum,” a 90-minute weekday call-in program of inspirational commentary, discussions and advice.

He was also a lifelong student of the Bible whose books rely on a vast assemblage of numbers, and with his affinity for numerology he became preoccupied with what he regarded as the greatest calculation of them all: the mystery of what the Scriptures might reveal as the date of the apocalypse.

After the failure of his last prediction — he said the world would end on May 21, 2011, and, when that didn’t happen, amended the date to Oct. 21 — Mr. Camping conceded that he had been wrong about the timing and had no evidence that the world would end soon. He offered an apology for his erroneous statements, which he called “sinful,” and hinted that his days of apocalyptic warnings were over.

Critics called him a con man, a lunatic, a heretic and worse. But to his believers he was a throwback to the biblical prophets, spreading the word of Christ’s second coming, of a Judgment Day and a rapture, when the faithful would ascend into heaven and nonbelievers would be destroyed in a five-month worldwide cataclysm of earthquakes, fires and floods.

He was, in any case, a determined messenger. Starting in the 1970s, he predicted the world’s demise many times, drawing scant attention. His first widely noted doomsday was on May 21, 1988. He later published “1994?” — a 500-page book setting a range of dates that September. Despite the derision of mainstream Christian groups and scathing secular critics, Mr. Camping, having conceded errors in his earlier calculations, decided to try again in late 2008.

The end, he said, would come on May 21, 2011. The date was based on a complex formula involving the biblical flood survived by Noah in what Mr. Camping said was 4,990 B.C., a 7,000-year clock that began ticking from that moment, and the subtraction of one year because of a difference in the Old Testament and New Testament calendars.

Mr. Camping, a thin man with a craggy face and a resonant baritone radio voice, relentlessly promoted the date and its fateful consequences for more than two years on his listener-supported network, on 5,000 billboards and in countless books and pamphlets translated into 75 languages. To pay for it all, he raised tens of millions of dollars from listeners.

As the day closed in, there was an avalanche of publicity: newspaper and magazine articles, television forums and nonstop chatter on the Internet. Opinions ran from portentous credulity to merry mockery, with lots of clownish commentary and anguished hand-wringing. Mr. Camping estimated that seven billion would die, and followers spoke of settling their affairs and spending their final days with loved ones.

No one knows how many people rushed into marriages, scrambled to repent, ran up credit-card debts, threw last parties, quit their jobs or gave away their possessions. But the reaction was widespread and in some cases tragic, especially among people who feared being left behind to face an agonizing end.

With three days to go, a mother in Palmdale, Calif., stabbed her daughters, 11 and 14 years old, and cut her own throat with a box cutter, the police said, to avoid the calamity. All survived. A man in Taiwan, fearing that recent earthquakes and tsunamis signaled imminent doom, leapt to his death from a building. And in Antioch, Calif., a man who could not swim tried to reach God across a lake and drowned, the police said.

When nothing much happened on May 21, legions of crestfallen believers professed astonishment and disappointment. Many called Family Radio to denounce Mr. Camping as a false prophet. His Oakland station was vandalized, and there were threats against him, his family and station personnel.

Mr. Camping said he was “flabbergasted” that his predictions had not materialized. After a few days in seclusion to figure out what had gone wrong, he announced new conclusions — basically that God had quietly completed Judgment Day on May 21 and closed the books on heaven — and said he had recalibrated the end-of-times date for five months later, on Oct. 21. The new prediction was delivered in low key, without billboards or pamphlets. Mr. Camping said there was no need because the process of salvation was over.

The F.C.C. received complaints from around the nation demanding revocation of Family Radio’s broadcast licenses for having created a panic and deceived listeners into donating millions to perpetuate a falsehood. The F.C.C. rarely intervenes in religious disputes and was unlikely to act.

Weeks after the May 21 fiasco, Mr. Camping suffered a mild stroke and suspended his program. He returned in September, but spoke no more of earthquakes and fiery doom. He told listeners: “I really am beginning to think as I restudied these matters that there’s going to be no big display of any kind. The end is going to come very, very quietly.”

And nothing momentous happened on Oct. 21.

Five months later, in a letter to followers on his ministry’s website in March 2012, Mr. Camping not only apologized for getting it wrong, but acknowledged that he had “no new evidence pointing to another date for the end of the world” and “no interest in even considering another date.” But he found a silver lining in the confusion, noting that his “incorrect and sinful statement allowed God to get the attention of a great many people who otherwise would not have paid attention.”

Harold Egbert Camping was born in Boulder, Colo., on July 19, 1921, one of five brothers raised in Southern California by Dutch immigrants steeped in the Protestant doctrines of the Christian Reformed Church. He earned a degree in civil engineering from the University of California, Berkeley, in 1942.

In 1943, he and Shirley Vander Schuur were married. They had six children and many grandchildren.

In 1946, he founded a construction company that prospered, and by 35, he was a millionaire. In the 1950s, he turned increasingly to Bible study, often devoting eight hours a day to the Scriptures.

He and two other men founded Family Stations Inc. in 1958 and, a year later, began broadcasting fundamentalist Christian programming on a San Francisco station. It was a rapid success. He later sold his construction company, became the expanding network’s unsalaried president and general manager, and in 1961 began hosting “Open Forum.” He also wrote some 30 books and pamphlets.

The network grew to at least 140 radio stations in America, Europe, Asia and Africa, two television outlets and a website. A 2009 financial disclosure published by the nonprofit news organization The Bay Citizen showed that the network had a budget of $36.7 million, $18.3 million in listener contributions, $34 million in investments, $56 million in assets and $29 million in liabilities.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You know what.... Good.
    Fuck that guy and his snake oil selling ass. The world is a better place with out him.

What's funny about it is that I bet he didn't see that coming at all!
    Kung Fu is good for you.