Thread: Survey about Kung Fu Film qualities

Survey about Kung Fu Film qualities

Hi, my name is Dirk, I'm from Germany and I am studying social work.
    For one of my classes (approximately inner-asian racism) I have to write a thesis
    that's orientated on the Film >Fist of Legend< by and with Jet Li.
    Because I'm new to this matter, neither do I know much about Kung Fu films,
    nor have I seen many.

I like to ask you for your opinions about the aspects, that can make such a film a 'good' one,
    and if one can say, that there is something like an average scheme or pattern
    that most films are bound to and what that would look like?

I am aware that this community may have i.e. technical requirements to think of a film as good,
    but in my special case, it's more about the plot rather than the realism of the fights.

Hoping for your help, I want to thank every participant in advance and I am really curious
    about your views on the matter!

Keep focus,
    Dirk

P.S.:
    As a non-native english speaker and an absolute philistine relating to Kung Fu,
    I want to assure you that I do not intend to affront any of you on purpose.
    If my choice of words does so, I apologise.

Welcome deDirkn

Note there are two films called Fist of Legend:
    The Jet Li one (which is the one are asking about)
    The Korean one 전설의 주먹.

If you search this sub-forum, you'll find more discussion on FoL in some other threads too.

The same qualities of any good film apply to a good Kung Fu film, with the additional factor of good Kung Fu.

Realism doesn't necessarily matter. Star Wars is good but it's not real. Most real fights just aren't that cinematic. Bottom line is that it's got to be a good film.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The vast majority of 'kung fu films' are based around the concept of revenge, to one degree or another. There are some rare exceptions, like Heroes of the East (1978), which dealt with cultural differences.

Many kung fu films of the 1970s and 80s also had plots that dealt with mystery, plot twists/betrayals.

For me, what determines whether a kung fu film is good or not is if it entertains me. I don't care if the movie is big-budget or low-budget. Realism doesn't really matter. No movies are 100% realistic, including westerns, crime dramas, comedies, sci-fi, horror, etc. But the fights must be have competent fight choreography and execution.

I prefer older kung fu films of the 1970s and 80s, because most of the ones from Mainland China now are too 'self-conscious' and take themselves way too seriously. They may have high budgets now and lots of CGI but not the spirit of fun of older kung fu films.

Note:

Fist of Legend is a remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, but updated to be more politically correct.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.

The Wuxia genre is akin to the European knight errant stories like the King Arthur cycle. They are a bit of transcendental road movies.

There usually a good deal of character development under duress. An usual element is becoming undefeatable by spiritual cleansing. The protagonist fails because of his character flaws, is guided by a Yoda and experiences some sort of Zen epiphany. He looses his ego on the way, becomes a sword saint and saves the day.

Important is aesthetics, which must be operatic. It must have action without being stupid.

Some good ones are (in no particular order)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Yip Man
    Hero
    Once Upon a Time in the East
    Matrix
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Drunken Master
    Kung Fu Hustle

Fight Club and films by Quentin Tarrantino borrow heavily from the genre.

I found the villains in Yip Man far more stereotyped. Also compare Ghost Dog which plays with racial stereotypes in martial arts films.
    Last edited by Cataphract; 07-05-2017 at 02:31 PM.