Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Panda 3

The starring Li isn't Li Shan (Po's poppa)...

...it's Li Ruigang.

Kung Fu Panda Diplomacy Wins in Hollywood for Chinese Mogul
    Well-connected Li Ruigang aiming for entertainment juggernaut of movies, sports and theme parks

China Media Capital founder Li Ruigang, here at the World Economic Forum in the Chinese city of Dalian last September, is an ‘indispensable partner,’ says DreamWorks Animation’s Jeffrey Katzenberg. PHOTO: REUTERS

Jan. 29, 2016 2:10 a.m. ET

BEIJING—The big-screen tale of a cartoon panda’s path from martial-arts student to master is also set to showcase to larger audiences the ambitions of Chinese media mogul Li Ruigang.

“Kung Fu Panda 3,” a U.S.-China co-production which opens in wide release across both countries this weekend, is the latest example of Mr. Li’s mission to build a Chinese entertainment juggernaut—an entire “ecosystem” spanning movies, sports and theme parks.

The ventures the 46-year-old founder of private-equity media empire China Media Capital has set up with foreign partners have made him known as China’s Rupert Murdoch, with a rare knack to join Chinese objectives with what Western companies want.

Mei Mei, voiced by Kate Hudson, performing a ribbon dance in ‘Kung Fu Panda 3.’ PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS

In the past year alone, CMC, which manages more than $5 billion across various investment platforms, agreed to bring Legoland to China and launched funds with both IMAX Corp. and Hollywood studio Warner Bros. to make Chinese films for global audiences. This year, CMC said it was taking a minority stake in visual-effects company Base FX.

Mr. Li started his career in China’s state-backed media apparatus, but has now almost entirely crossed over to the private sector. To focus on running CMC, Mr. Li last year resigned from all executive positions he held Shanghai Media Group, one of China’s most powerful state broadcasters, which he led for more than a decade.

Li Ruigang at a ‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ event last week in Shanghai. PHOTO: ORIENTAL DREAMWORKS

Even though he operates outside the system, Beijing has rolled out the red carpet for Mr. Li, in apparent recognition of his role in building overseas audiences for Chinese films and boosting consumption at home, a core goal as the economy slows.

For Western companies, there are also big rewards to reap.

As a Chinese co-production, “Kung Fu Panda 3” is guaranteed a bigger cut of China’s box office than foreign films usually get under Beijing’s heavy restrictions.

The previous two “Panda” installments were strictly Hollywood productions, which led to concern that a franchise based on perhaps the most powerful of all Chinese symbols had been co-opted. The movies were hugely popular in China, while China’s own animations trailed far behind.

The cooperation that led to “Kung Fu Panda 3” started with an email in 2011: “I’m Jeffrey Katzenberg. I want to talk to you,” Mr. Li recalled.

The third installment of the “Panda” franchise marks the first Chinese-themed animation from Oriental DreamWorks , a CMC joint venture with Mr. Katzenberg’s DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. In limited recent previews in China, the movie has already pulled in 42 million yuan ($6.39 million), breaking records for animated movies in the country.

Mr. Katzenberg calls Mr. Li an indispensable partner. “I can’t imagine anything we would have done would have been possible without him,” he told The Wall Street Journal in a recent interview.

Mr. Li envisions his media empire to eventually dominate across several sectors with both traditional and cutting-edge media offerings, something like a combined Netflix Inc., Walt Disney Co. and Apple Inc. “I believe that China will have an entertainment giant with its own ecosystem,” he said in a recent interview.

CMC already is behind a slate of China’s most popular TV shows, including China’s version of the Dutch reality-TV franchise “The Voice.”

In China’s biggest-ever sports-media deal, CMC pledged 8 billion yuan ($1.26 billion) in September for five-year television and online broadcast rights to China’s soccer Super League. It also teamed up with Citic Capital Holdings, buying a 13% share in City Football Group, which owns the Manchester City FC franchise.

Mr. Li’s recipe of teaming up with foreign partners follows similar trajectories in industries including auto and railway manufacturing, but he dismisses any suggestion that he is only out to siphon off know-how from his foreign partners. “The creative industry is different from the industrial,” he said. “It’s a people business.”

Mr. Li isn’t without competition. He faces a formidable rival in property magnate Wang Jianlin, who is building a brigade of theme parks across the country. His Dalian Wanda Group Co. recently acquired Hollywood film company Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 billion in cash. The Beijing-based company already owns Ironman Triathlon, U.S. cinema chain AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. and a 20% stake in Spanish soccer champions Atlético Madrid.

Mr. Wang—China’s richest man, according to Shanghai-based research firm Hurun Report—says he’s on the hunt for even bigger deals. While Mr. Li can’t compete with Mr. Wang’s deep pockets or war chest, his decades as a media professional gives him an advantage over the real estate tycoon.

Mr. Li has gotten some of his rivals to join his quest. In a rare collaboration, Internet giants Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. and Tencent Holdings Ltd. last year became CMC’s major investors, and have joined with CMC to launch Whaley Technology Co., an Internet-TV startup that will monetize content from CMC’s investments.

“Uncle Li,” as he’s known in media circles, launched his career as a television reporter in Shanghai, his hometown, in 1994, right out of the city’s Fudan University. He was tapped as Shanghai Media Group’s president when he was only 33.

At SMG, he encouraged executives to read the autobiography of John Malone, the American media giant who reshaped the U.S. cable-TV industry in the 1980s and ‘90s. “I hope they can get spiritual power from challenging the stereotype,” Mr. Li said.

While some other Chinese media executives emerged from political families, Mr. Li lacks a privileged past. His father died when he was young. His mother, a factory worker, could barely cover school fees for Mr. Li and his younger brother.

However, Mr. Li doesn’t lack for ties. Chinese President Xi Jinping included Mr. Li among executives who traveled with him to the U.K. last year and he briefly served in Shanghai’s local government a few years ago.

Mr. Li said he aims to bring changes—and order—to China’s entertainment sector. “Many of these industries have been either choked by the government-led system for a long time or are in total chaos,” he said.

A fluent English-speaker, Mr. Li has become the go-to guy for many Western executives eager to get a larger footprint as China’s box-office receipts surge.

“Ruigang is one of the smartest executives in China for media,” said Hollywood filmmaker Brett Ratner, who has struck deals with CMC and Warner Bros and has worked extensively with Mr. Li.

Martin Sorrell, chief executive of advertising behemoth WPP PLC., selected Mr. Li about five years ago to sit on WPP’s board.

Mr. Li is considering opening up offices in Los Angeles and London to handle more cross-border deals.

He said that to convince authorities to let him form a joint venture with DreamWorks he reminded them that China ultimately wants its media companies to be big. “If we only produce content for the local market, I don’t think that’s the goal—from the industry, sector, government,” Mr. Li said.

Yet, Mr. Li says he’s not part of a bigger government soft-power play. “That is way too heavy for me to shoulder as a soft power carrier,” he said. “I am just a businessman.”

—Lilian Lin
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Po's payout

JAN 29, 2016 @ 10:00 AM 726 VIEWS
    'Kung Fu Panda 3' China Box Office: A Huge $16.3M Debut For A Boffo $23.1M Total
    Scott Mendelson CONTRIBUTOR

DreamWorks

Kung Fu Panda 3 started its theatrical run in China with a bang, earning a strong estimated $16.3 million on its first day of play. Taken on its own, that’s one of the bigger single day grosses for a movie in history, just ahead of Sony ’s Spectre ($15m) and just behind Universal/Comcast CMCSA +1.82% Corp.’s Jurassic World ($17.7m) and Paramount’s Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation ($18m). It sits behind Terminator Genisys ($26m), Paramount/Viacom VIAB +0.00% Inc’s Transformers: Age of Extinction ($30m), Walt Disney DIS +2.11%’s Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($33m), Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron ($33.9m), and Universal’s Furious 7 ($63m). Including the Saturday previews from last week which brought in $6.4m during three hours of show times, the film’s “opening day” total is $23.1m which would be the sixth biggest opening day in China history if you counted the previews into the Friday total, which to be fair is standard practice in America.

Everyone is watching this one both in America and in China, and I’ll try to update when the American preview figures roll in later this morning courtesy of 20th Century Fox. But $140 million DreamWorks Animation and China Film Group Corporation have taken several potentially groundbreaking steps to make sure the movie plays as much to China as it does to America, if not exponentially more so in what is the second biggest movie going marketplace. To wit, they created two versions of the film in China, both a “standard” international version with dubbed vocals and a second version with altered animation so that the mouth movements and body language would better match up to the Chinese audio. Oh, and even in America we’re seeing seven theaters playing the film in both English and Mandarin.

The original Kung Fu Panda earned a then-shocking $26 million in China back in 2008 while Kung Fu Panda 2 earned $92m back in 2011. This time around, the expectations are much higher, with the hopes of displacing The Monkey King: Hero is Back ($152m) as China’s biggest-grossing animated feature of all time. At the risk of stating the obvious, the Kung Fu Panda franchise is huge in China, and there have been countless product/merchandising tie-ins to coincide with the release of this third entry. Oh, and the worldwide release date was specifically tailored to the Chinese New Year, which is a week from Monday. Because, as I always say, the best weekend is the one before the holiday weekend. Kung Fu Panda 3 will do its thing in America and China this weekend, and then the holiday will buffer the would-be second weekend drop.

And, again stating the obvious, China Film Insider reported that Oriental DreamWorks cast a who’s-who of Chinese movie stars for the Mandarin language version of said screenplay, including Jackie Chan (who of course has a small role in the domestic version as well), Yang Mi 杨幂 (The Great Wall), Bai Baihe (Monster Hunt, which earned $32,766 in its first week of U.S. play in 41 theaters), Huang Lei 黄磊 (Where Are We Going, Dad?), and Wang Zhiwen 王志文 (Together). That’s somewhat standard practice for overseas animated releases (it’s one reason why Fox’s Ice Age films have done so well outside of America), but it still bears mentioning. How this film plays over the next couple weeks in America and China is without question the biggest box office story of the moment, as this kind of “make the same movie twice” approach could very well be standard practice, especially for animated features, if this works.

Directed by Jennifer Yuh and Alessandro Carloni, and starring (in America anyway) Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Bryan Cranston, Kate Hudson, and J.K. Simmons, Kung Fu Panda 3 has thus far earned $23.1 million at the end of its first day of Chinese release. We’ll know soon enough if we’re looking at legs similar to Jurassic World or Terminator Genisys. But the multipliers, especially if we count that $23.1m total as “one day,” look exceptionally promising.
    Like I said in my ezine review, KUNG FU PANDA 3: Po Comes Home, "In the end, it will be interesting to see if it grosses more in China or the United States."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Called it.

China. FTW.

Fox’s ‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ fared better in China than U.S. in weekend debut
    Published: Jan 31, 2016 2:00 p.m. ET

Film chalked up $57 million in China, versus $41 million in U.S.

Fox/Courtesy Everett

By TREY WILLIAMS REPORTER

Twentieth Century Fox’s “Kung Fu Panda 3” jumped, flipped and punched its way to the No. 1 spot at the box office this weekend.

The film, produced with DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. DWA, -7.02% and its China counterpart Oriental DreamWorks, earned $41 million in its opening weekend, according to studio estimates provided by Rentrak.

But it’s the numbers from the film’s China debut that were most impressive. “Kung Fu Panda 3,” which opened in China on the same day as the U.S., brought in $57 million, according to preliminary reports. The film is estimated to have garnered $116 million globally, though numbers won’t be officially released until Monday.

The largest animated opening ever in China was “Minions,” which earned Comcast Corp.-owned CMCSA, -0.50% Universal $31.3 million, and went on to gross $68.5 million in China, according to data from Box Office Mojo.

The Fox FOXA, -0.41% FOX, -0.87% film far and away outperformed the other films that debuted this weekend. Walt Disney Co.’s DIS, -0.75% “The Finest Hours,” starring Chris Pine and Casey Affleck, cracked the top five earning films of the weekend, garnering $10.3 million on a reported budget of about $80 million.

Open Road Films’ Marlon Wayan’s spoof flick “Fifty Shades of Black” brought in $6.2 million in box office receipts, enough to make it the weekend’s No. 9 film. The Hollywood Reporter put the film’s production budget at $5 million.

The Weinstein Co.’s “Jane Got a Gun,” starring Natalie Portman, brought in $803,000 in a less robust 1,210-theater opening.

Oscar-hopeful “The Revenant,” distributed by Fox, and Disney’s record-breaking “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” continued their solid performances, holding on to No. 2 and No. 3 slot.

“The Revenant” earned $12.4 million over the weekend, pushing its overall domestic gross to $138.1 million. “The Force Awakens” added $10.9 million at the box office, and is now sitting at $895.4 million in domestic box office revenue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Still winning

Hate to say "I told you so".

With $58.5 million so far, 'Kung Fu Panda 3' performs better in China than U.S.

A scene from DreamWorks Animation's "Kung Fu Panda 3." (DreamWorks Animation)
    Julie Makinen

“Kung Fu Panda 3” KO’ed the competition at the Chinese box office last week, notching the biggest three-day opening ever for an animated film and surpassing its North American opening weekend.

Po and friends earned $51 million Friday through Sunday, compared with $41 million in the U.S. and Canada.

The DreamWorks Animation movie, which has earned $58.5 million in China so far including sneak preview screenings, is on track to easily surpass the first two installments in the series, according to Rance Pow, president of film industry consulting firm Artisan Gateway.

In 2008, “Kung Fu Panda” earned $27.4 million in mainland China, and the sequel pulled in $91.9 million in 2011.

The highest-grossing animated film of all time in China is the domestic production “Monkey King: Hero Is Back,” which grossed $147.1 million in summer 2015. “Kung Fu Panda 3” is coming into theaters at a prime movie-going time, just as the country is about to celebrate Spring Festival, a.k.a. Chinese New Year, when schools, businesses and government offices are closed.

“Kung Fu Panda 3” is not being treated like an imported film in China because it was produced partly in the mainland at Oriental DreamWorks. The $330-million, Shanghai-based joint venture is 45% owned by DreamWorks Animation; Chinese partners include a Chinese government investment fund, China Media Capital, and Shanghai Media group.

“Kung Fu Panda 3” accounted for more than half of all box-office receipts for the seven days ending Sunday.

In distant second place for the week was “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” with $7.8 million; the Disney film has taken in $123.5 million since its Jan. 9 opening. That was followed by the local animated film “Boonie Bears: To the Rescue,” with $6.3 million and Sony Pictures’ “The Walk,” which took in $5.7 million. In its first 10 days of release, “The Walk” has earned $12.5 million.

In fifth place for the week was the domestic holdover “Detective Chinatown.” The Wanda Pictures film has so far outperformed “Star Wars,” earning $124 million since its New Year’s Eve release.

Twentieth Century Fox’s “Alvin and the Chipmunks 4,” which arrived in Chinese cinemas last week, managed only $4.7 million.
    Actually, that's B.S. I love to say "I told you so."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cheeseburger

Jack Black’s New Buddy Movie With Jackie Chan
    January 29, 2016

Jack Black

He's still ironing out the kinks, but it'll involve Jackie, martial arts, and cheeseburgers. Andy is working on the details.
    Click for a link to the vid on teamcoco.com. Jack Black would kickass over Johnny Knoxville, Chris Tucker or Owen Wilson. I so hope this happens.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

"felt like my milk was coming in"?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I saw this again yesterday.

I went with my kid. We saw it in 2D because there wasn't a 3D version available in our area anymore. I enjoyed it a lot more the second time around, mostly because my view wasn't tainted by the film's predictability. The first time I saw it, I succinctly predicted the story arc rather early on, which is always disappointing on first viewing. But the second time, I knew full well how the story was going to go, so I could just enjoy the visuals and the comedy. It was much better in 3D however. It's really meant to be seen in 3D.

‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ Becomes China’s Top-Grossing Animated Film Ever
    by Nancy Tartaglione
    February 28, 2016 12:13pm

DreamWorks Animation

With 975M yuan ($149M) to date, and a 30-day theatrical extension ahead of it, DreamWorks Animation/DreamWorks Oriental’s Kung Fu Panda 3 has topped Monkey King: Hero Is Back (956M yuan) to become the biggest animated film ever in the Middle Kingdom in local currency. Sage that he is, DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg predicted this would happen when he spoke with analysts last week on the company’s quarterly earnings call.

The China performance “serves as proof” that Oriental DreamWorks “is building a world class studio for what will soon be the largest entertainment marketplace in the world,” Katzenberg said.

KFP3 released day-and-date in the U.S. and China on January 29. It took $58.3M in its initial PROC weekend, playing on 3D and IMAX screens.

Katzenberg predicted this because China tells the studios exactly what the box office will be well in...
    The film, which has local status, set a Saturday record for previews a week ahead of release in January, selling $6.4M worth of tickets in just three hours. Particularly notable with this title is that there are two versions. One is the global English-language take while the other is in Mandarin and was reanimated to fit body movements and vernacular of the local voice cast including Jackie Chan. Raman Hui, a DreamWorks veteran and director of Monster Hunt, lent his consultation to the film.

Promotional efforts inclued a Beijing press conference back in November and a Shanghai premiere in January with Jack Black, Chan and Kate Hudson in attendance. Social media magnet Lu Han, who doubled as the local ambassador for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, released a KFP3 music video in December and superstar singer-songwriter Jay Chou provided the movie’s theme song.

Looking back over the years, the Kung Fu Panda movies have grown with the Chinese market. The first one made $26M in 2008. The second one released in 2011 to a rough final total of $92M. There have been five years of growth in the market since and this past summer, Monkey King: Hero Is Back was praised for its performance.

Although KFP3 has not led the Middle Kingdom charts through its run, it has steadily added coin. Its release came a week before the Lunar New Year holiday period which saw the release of what is now the biggest movie ever in China, The Mermaid.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Arrogant Po

‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ Previews Prompt Pandemonium in Italian Distribution Patterns
    Nick Vivarelli
    International Correspondent

COURTESY OF 20TH CENTURY FOX
    MARCH 3, 2016 | 01:49AM PT

ROME – The upcoming Italian release of “Kung Fu Panda 3” is prompting pandemonium in Italy where Fox has booked hundreds of local screens for previews of the blockbuster toon on the weekend prior to its scheduled official March 17 Italo release without giving its competitors much advance notice.

The March 12 and 13 “Panda 3” previews allegedly sprung by 20th Century Fox Italy are incensing Italo distributors who are claiming they are being unfairly forced to reschedule their releases late in the game due to Fox breaking a gentlemen’s agreement and causing them hundreds of thousands of Euros in damages.

“It’s an act of arrogance,” laments Andrea Occhipinti topper of prominent Italo indie shingle Lucky Red. “I found out about these previews, which are tantamount to a release, just 10 days before my planned March 3 release of ‘Heidi,’ which risked being damaged big time by ‘Kung Fu Panda’ in its second weekend.” The two titles clearly target a similar family demographic.

Lucky Red has therefore been forced to reposition the Italo release of the “Heidi” reboot, which is produced by Gallic giant Studiocanal, for March 24 after spending Euros 800,000 ($868,000), it claims, to promote the pic positioned in that March 3 slot. Occhipinti, who also heads Italy’s distributors’ org, says that the “Panda” previews have forced Lucky Red to spend an additional Euros 200,000 ($217,000) to promote its new March 24 “Heidi” outing.

For the “Kung Fu Panda 3” March 12 and 13 previews, prior to its March 17 wide release in Italy, Fox is believed to have booked at least 400 Italian screens out of a total roughly 4,000.

A Fox Italia spokesman said they had no comment at this time. Fox Italia topper Osvaldo De Santis has personally spoken to the disgruntled Italian distributors and is said to be doing all he can to smooth things over.

While Occhipinti was able to reposition “Heidi” on the release calendar, prominent Italo company Medusa was unable to find an alternate slot for its Italo comedy “Forever Young,” about middle aged Italians striving for eternal youth, by local hitmaker Fausto Brizzi, which will go out on March 10 on 500 screens.

“Fox had done this before when it booked screens for short notice previews of ‘Penguins of Madagascar’,” says Medusa topper Giampaolo Letta. “And this had caused an uproar, after which they had promised not to do it again,” he adds.

Letta and others say that following the “Penguins” incident in November 2014 a gentleman’s agreement had been reached by Italian distributors with Fox during a meeting at Italy’s motion picture association Anica.

Both “Panda 3” and “Penguins” are titles from DreamWorks with which Fox has a distribution deal.

Another pic purportedly impacted by Fox’s “Panda” previews in Italy is “The Divergent Series: Allegiant,” the third instalment in Lionsgate’s “Divergent” franchise, which is being released in Italy by Eagle Pictures on March 9.

“We invested one million Euros to promote this film and now it could go to waste,” lamented Eagle topper Andrea Goretti to Italian trade publication Box Office. “At this point we need written rules,” Goretti opined.

“When you are so close to a release date and you find yourself facing a surprise of this type, it’s obvious that it wreaks havoc,” said Raffaella Leone, whose Leone Film Group is co-distributing “Allegiant” with Eagle. “It’s simply an unfair business practice.”

The ‘Panda’ pandemonium stems largely from the fact that Italy has a particularly crowded theatrical release schedule due to the scarcity of releases in summer, a structural stumbling block that creates a glut of product during the rest of the year.

“Panda 3” has grossed more than $300 million globally since its January 29 rollout with plenty more territories still to come, including Europe, parts of Asia excluding China, and most of Latin America.
    At least they got commemorative cars?

Fiat Panda 4X4 Cross, Fiat Kung-Fu Panda – Geneva Motor Show Live
    Posted on: Mar 2, 2016 - 9:34pm IST

Kung-Fu Panda is a one-off show car to be auctioned.

FCA is showcasing the Fiat Panda 4X4 Cross in a unique colour and the Fiat Kung-Fu Panda at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show.

Featuring traction control and four-wheel drive like an SUV, teamed with an overall length of 3,700mm making it easy to drive and park, the Panda 4×4 Cross is amongst the people’s favorite winter drive vehicles.

Fiat Panda 4×4 Cross at the Geneva show gets the Toscana Green color treatment along with dual-color grey and brown eco-leather seats and bronze dashboard. Doing its duty under the hood is the 1.3 Multi-jet II diesel engine with an output of 95 hp. The all-wheel drive car features a segment first electronic differential lock.

Alongside the Cross, Fiat showcased a special edition, the Fiat Kung-Fu Panda, which is just a one-off show car and is supposed to be auctioned to benefit Conservation International and preserve the habitat of the other panda.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another Po ad tie-in

CHINESE SAUCE BRAND IN KUNG FU PANDA LINK-UP WITH FILM STUDIOS

Chinese sauce brand in Kung Fu Panda link-up with film studios

Posted By: News Deskon: March 29, 2016
    Chinese sauce brand Lee Kum Kee has partnered with Twentieth Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation as part of its latest brand campaign ahead of the release of the movie Kung Fu Panda 3.

To coincide with the newly launch of Kung Fu Panda 3, Lee Kum Kee launched its ‘Let’s Panda’ campaign, advocating the spirit of “Eat like a panda and have fun like a panda” and featuring characters from the new movie. The campaign includes a gift with purchase promotion, enabling those buying three or more products to get one of four collectable Kung Fu Panda-branded noodle bowls.

There is also a photo-based competition offering people the chance to win branded merchandise such as aprons, lanterns and recipe booklets – plus a family trip to a European city to see real pandas.

Lee Kum Kee, which was founded in 1888 by the inventor of oyster sauce, said that the initiative would help to promote authentic Chinese cuisine and increase both brand awareness and sales of its products.

The campaign, which has been running in the Netherlands, Germany and the UK, is supported by a significant advertising investment across outdoor, print, digital, social media platforms and retail channels. Limited edition labels for Lee Kum Kee’s four key products – light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sesame oil and Chiu Chow chilli oil – were also created for an on-pack promotion in British supermarkets.

The promotion will run until 10 April.

Lum Kum Kee marketing manager Shuang Cheng said: “We are thrilled about how our brand partnership with DreamWorks is performing so far. To provide customers with the chance to win some of these exclusive prizes, claiming a collectable gift has been a great approach to increase brand exposure and get people to engage with us. The Let’s Panda campaign is inspiring consumers to create authentic Chinese dishes at home. That’s exactly what we wanted to achieve.”

Managing director Maria Chong added: “We are thrilled to partner with DreamWorks. We pride ourselves on having accessible authentic Chinese sauces, which are available to European consumers. We have recently become a leading brand in supermarket chains across key European countries such as the UK and the Netherlands.

“We are proud to say we are in the largest chain store, ICA, in Sweden and leading chain stores such as Ederka, Real, Rewe and Metro in Germany.

“Our mission is to help bring healthy Chinese cooking to Britain, and thus far we are having a great time doing so, including when we visit British schools to educate them further on authentic and healthy Chinese cooking.”
    I didn't realize Lee Kum Kee was founded by the inventor of oyster sauce. I always thought oyster sauce was some ancient recipe.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$500m

This is really more about the Comcast sale, but half a B, wow.

APR 27, 2016 @ 11:00 AM 2,405 VIEWS
    As 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Crosses $500M, DreamWorks May Be Sold To Comcast

Scott Mendelson CONTRIBUTOR I cover the film industry.
    Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

‘Kung Fu Panda 3′ image courtesy of DreamWorks Animation

I do not know if rumblings courtesy of The Wall Street Journal concerning DreamWorks Animation DWA +24.15% being purchased by Comcast CMCSA +0.70% Corp. for $3 billion are true. Stock prices are soaring, but one is commenting as we’ve been down this sale/merger road a few times in the last year or so with the likes of Hasbro HAS -0.74%, 20th Century Fox , Paramount, and Softbank . I think there is value in DWA no longer being forced to fend for itself, with the stock fluctuating wildly with every new animated release, but I’d rather talk about where DWA stands as a film production outlet in what is a brave new world of feature animation.

This news, provided it comes to pass, is interesting in that it comes on the heels of their latest release, Kung Fu Panda 3, crossing the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office. While the film is unquestionably a success (it has grossed nearly 3.5x its $145m budget), it made less than the first two here and abroad, and it is an example of the current hurdle facing almost every animation studio that isn’t Disney. With every studio flooding the market with family-friendly animation, such a thing is no longer unique. Consequently, studio brand has less value.

Kung Fu Panda 3 opened in January of 2016 with a $41 million debut and an eventual $141m domestic take. It earned $154m in China, slightly less than expected (it got whacked by three local Chinese blockbusters unexpectedly debuting a week after its opening), but still a huge number. It had been nearly five years since Kung Fu Panda 2 earned $665m worldwide. In that time, the big-scale animation game has expanded to a point where every studio, big and small, has something to offer on a relatively regular basis.

There was a time, maybe between 2004 and 2012, when DreamWorks was arguably as big (financially) as Disney and Pixar. During this period (the era of Shrek 2, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs. Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, etc.) the very notion of a DreamWorks release was something of an event. Like Marvel or Pixar today, a DreamWorks Animation offering was a draw partially because it was a DWA toon. But to the extent that brand mattered in mainstream animated features, those days are over for everyone but Disney/Pixar.

The turning point was arguably the Winter/Spring of 2011 when seven animated features from six studios all opened in just over three months. You had Disney’s Gnomeo and Juliet* (February 11th), Paramount/Viacom Inc.’s Ringo (March 4th), Disney’s Mars Needs Moms* (March 11th), Universal/Comcast Corp.’s Hop (April 1st), 20th Century Fox’s Rio (April 15th), Weinstein’s Hoodwinked Too (April 29th), and DreamWorks’ Kung Fu Panda 2 (May 26th). And this year we will have sixteen major animated releases between January and December.

The average consumer won’t care if that animated feature is coming from Illumination or Blue Sky or DreamWorks. They may say “Oooh, an Ice Age sequel!” or “Oooh, a Trolls movie!” but the notion of a consumer getting excited because of another Blue Sky release or another DWA offering is no longer a thing. With so many more studios playing the game, animation has become as concept-driven as any other major franchise. That’s not inherently a bad thing, although it has its downsides.

A major animated movie with a killer hook (The Secret Lives of Pets comes to mind) can still be a blockbuster. But it does mean, especially above a certain budgetary level (DWA toons aren’t cheap), we’re going to have more of reliance on pre-sold properties, such as DWA’s Trolls in November. And yes, it will mean that we’ll get more sequels to the ones that click from all/most studios that distribute said films.

Now to be fair, DreamWorks sequels (Shrek 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, How to Train Your Dragon 2, etc.) tend to be pretty impressive. The Trolls clip that Fox during their CinemaCon sizzle reel looked much better than I was expecting. Even Sony’s sequels (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Hotel Transylvania 2) are as good/better than the originals.

Up until maybe six years ago, you had big animated features from Walt Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks, with Fox dipping their toes into the ring now and then. And Disney wasn’t exactly in peak shape either (regarding box office), so it was something of a two-way match-up between Pixar and DWA with those Ice Age movies pulling in insane overseas figures every few years. In that era, DWA releases were something of an event.

But now it’s somewhat more democratized, with every major studio pitching in with their shot at the next LEGO Movie or Despicable Me-ish franchise. That means offerings like Turbo or Rise of the Guardians are more likely to be received as “just another animated movie” unless they truly bring something to the table. DreamWorks is in a precarious situation right now, having made the world safe for non-Disney animated blockbusters but now challenged and its brand (comparatively) diluted by competitors stepping up to the plate.

It’s not that DWA films got worse (How to Train Your Dragon 2 is arguably their best film, and The Croods is rock-solid), but DWA is no longer the only game in town. A sale to Comcast Corp. brings its own questions, such as whether or not 20th Century Fox would still distribute DWA pictures and if Illumination and DWA would merge their properties for a Shrek Meets the Minions cross-over event.

Oddly enough, if this goes through, whether or not Katzenberg stays in a vital leadership role post-sale, it will once again “merge” DreamWorks Animation with Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks SKG since said live-action films will be distributed by Universal after a several year-fling with Disney. Come what may, that will make for a heck of a photo op.

* Disney’s 2011 releases noted above were not specifically from Walt Disney Animation, but from (respectively) Miramax/Touchtone and ImageMovers.
    Makes me think of that old Monty Python song:
    Half a bee, philosophically,
    Must, ipso facto, half not be.
    But half the bee has got to be
    Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Panda kicks

BAIT, Diadora & DreamWorks Come Together for S8000 “Kung Fu Panda”
    By Jonathan Luk in Footwear 6 hours ago

BAIT, Diadora and DreamWorks have teamed up for the S8000 “Kung Fu Panda,” the first in a six-shoe collaboration to celebrate the Copa América Centenario and its 100th anniversary. The design, lifted from the animated movie of the same name, features a premium black-and-white pony-hair upper and leather details along the tongue and heel. Additional details include custom-branded insoles and box packaging.

The S8000 “Kung Fu Panda,” which retails for $300 USD and is limited to 300 pairs, will be released at all BAIT chapter stores and online via raffle.
    More pix if you follow the link. Think that's real panda fur? Just kidding.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Kung Fu Panda 3 on Blu-Ray tm + DVD + Digital HD! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 7/10/2016
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kai on the cutting room floor

There’s A Way Scarier Version Of ‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ You Didn’t See
    It might not have been fun for the whole family.
    06/29/2016 09:44 am ET
    Todd Van Luling
    Senior Staff Writer, The Huffington Post

“KUNG FU PANDA 3”

Pandas may be the most lovable mammals on the planet (sorry humans), so witnessing one get into a fight with the prospect of losing could be emotionally taxing. The “Kung Fu Panda” movie series has navigated this balance of presenting the obvious humor of a panda throwing a punch with the all-out snapping of heart strings that would occur if a panda character died.

From personal experience, I once misplaced a stuffed panda bear I got from the Smithsonian’s National Zoo. Even that loss was essentially unbearable.

With PG ratings, well over a billion dollars in box-office revenue and consistent critical praise that has led to all three installments receiving “Fresh” distinctions on Rotten Tomatoes, the “Kung Fu Panda” movies have clearly mastered a balance. But in a desire to experiment with the series’ emotional boundaries, the creators behind “Kung Fu Panda 3” recorded a version of the movie that would have been way scarier than what became the final product.

“Kung Fu Panda 3” debuted earlier this year in January and featured a new main villain character, Kai, voiced by Oscar-winning actor J.K. Simmons. Kai is a huge, menacing yak that returns from the Spirit Realm to conquer the world. The Jack Black-voiced lead character in the movie series, Po, has to figure out a way to stop this villain’s rise.

In an interview to promote the movie, Simmons told The Huffington Post that terrifying audio takes for Kai were left on the cutting room floor. “We tried some that were the scariest we thought we could possibly want to be,” said Simmons. The actor further explained that he wanted to give an “extreme” performance so directors Alessandro Carloni and Jennifer Yuh Nelson could compare it to the more traditional, tamer attempts.

“KUNG FU PANDA 3”
    J.K. Simmons played the main villain, Kai, in “Kung Fu Panda 3.”

Given Simmons’ role as the aggressive and abusive Terence Fletcher in the 2014 movie “Whiplash,” it’s easy to imagine that these thrown-out takes alone could have raised the MPAA rating for “Kung Fu Panda 3.”

Simmons joked on the phone, “They kept cutting out the swearing, I don’t know why,” and laughed in agreement that an R-rated version of the movie was forthcoming.

Still, the villain-voicing actor said that the intensity never quite reached “Whiplash” levels. “I knew going in we weren’t going to be that extreme because it’s a different universe and certainly a different audience,” said Simmons, who claimed his family’s love of the series convinced him to take the part. “So, if ‘Whiplash’ was a 10, we probably never got past a 7.5.”

Carloni and Nelson did not end up using the extra scary version of Kai, instead opting to balance the character’s fear factor with humor. “At the end of the day, as an actor, it’s out of your hands,” said Simmons. “You just present options and have faith.”

“Kung Fu Panda 3” is out now on Blu-ray & DVD.

NBC VIA GETTY IMAGES
    Simmons appearing on “Late Night with Seth Meyers.”
    I would love to see these clips...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

The secret ingredient of Po's family noodles. Read James Hong on KUNG FU PANDA 3 by Gene Ching
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Panda plane

'Kung Fu Panda' planes coming: Chinese airline makes deal with Dreamworks
    Jun 30, 2016, 10:41am PDT

If you loved the Dreamworks Animation feature "Kung Fu Panda," you're now going to be able to fly in a "Kung Fu Panda" plane.

Hainan Airlines of China said it's made a deal with Los Angeles-based Dreamworks Animation, creator of the "Kung Fu Panda" animated film series. As part of the deal, Hainan said it will paint six of its brand-new Boeing 787-9 airplanes with "Kung Fu Panda" characters. The airline said it will take delivery of the "Kung Fu Panda" airplanes in 2016 and 2017.

[IMG]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/10070021/kung-fu-panda*750xx1095-616-0-1.jpg[/IMG]
    Characters from Dreamworks Animation "Kung Fu Panda" movie series will soon be painted on Hainan Airlines planes, as part of a deal signed between the airlines and the Los Angeles film studio.
    DREAMWORKS ANIMATION IMAGE

"This campaign reinforces DreamWorks Animation's ongoing commitment to the Chinese market and enhances our connections to fans throughout Asia and around the world," said Mimi Slavin, head of global promotions, DreamWorks Animation, in a statement.

"We are excited to partner with an iconic American movie studio and strengthen the bridge connecting China and North America," added Hou Wei, vice president of marketing at Hainan Airlines, in the statement.

Hainan Airlines flies nonstop flights between Los Angeles International Airport and China, as well as between China and four other U.S. cities.

In March 2015, Hainan Airlines ordered 30 Boeing Co. 787-9 airplanes in a deal valued at $7.7 billion.
    I'm not sure the image of Po would instill confidence on a jet plane.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips