Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What level is your Wing Chun at?

What level is your Wing Chun at?

Simple question really.

Do you have a grading/assessment system that explains what level your are training at and what you are aiming for?

Who assesses you?
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 05-03-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Simple question really.

Do you have a grading/assessment system that explains what level your are training at and what you are aiming for?

Who assesses you?
    I have an internal compass that leads me in the direction I'm going.

Then, I stop every so often and make sure I'm on that path or if it's even time to change directions.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

So, in effect you assess yourself right? But who taught you to do that? Was it through your Wing Chun teaching or not?

I also hear many people say they assess themselves through fighting others, but really? Is that the only way to assess your Martial Art skill?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

So, in effect you assess yourself right? But who taught you to do that? Was it through your Wing Chun teaching or not?

I also hear many people say they assess themselves through fighting others, but really? Is that the only way to assess your Martial Art skill?
    Who taught me how to do that? I did. I know me better than anyone else. It's a personal journey, no one else can walk it for me.

Depends on your goals. If it's forms, you can enter competitions. You can get people who have been practicing forms to critique the forms. If it's about fighting, you have to test yourself in your own personal way - whatever that "skill" you speak of looks like to you.

Again...all personal. Nobody can determine either points you bring up except for the practitioner themselves.

Simple question really.

Who assesses you?
    When I fight people from outside my club I win more often then I loose.
    Though I dont fight that much anymore, since at age 42 it takes a hell of a time to heal back up

Why would I need a belt to tell me the same ?

Yes.

More importantly, it's the only way you can examine whether your training actually translates into something that works in a fight.

Assessment system? Yes.

Assessors? My instructors and training buds.

Those whose opinions of my skill don't matter? Video critics and the vast majority of internet forum members.

I heard that too ... from you on your other thread for example!
    Last edited by anerlich; 05-03-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Talking My level

I'm doing as good as I can based off of my understanding, training and experience at this time and always thinking about better ways to do what I do based oFf of what I'm thinking about, right now that's how to go to sleep.

My level of WC? Bwahahaha...
    Newbie in WC, so, be prepared to laugh ===>

.I am able to do and understand Little Idea, first part.
    .Chum Kiu and Biu Jee is still new
    .Both arms feel tired when I am doing the double sticky hand, very wrong, I know
    .Bong Sau position is ok these days but 'overstayed' when I paused and wondered what should be my next move
    .Pak Sau is mean but at times, I missed and therefore, BIG ouch to my palm whenever I hit the partner's elbow instead of arm
    .I love to do Huen Sau, the circling hand but, I was told that I have no power and therefore, it didnt hurt
    .Alot of times, too many infact, I didnt observe my Centre Line well during free sparring and you know what happened thereafter
    .Weak interchanging of hands between attack and defence... Sigh
    .Lousy side steps
    .A lot of fearsss .... I missed "rushing in" whenever there are openings as well as, I didnt "pursue" sufficiently when I have an advantage

I am not sure if I have made myself clear :P
    I saw this post right after a practice session with my colleague and I am still laughing at my own mistakes, made just 10 mins ago....

"""OMG, What the hell were I thinking of!!! I used TWO hands to check his ONE arm!!! Oh god help me !!!"""

/facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by dottydots View Post
    My level of WC? Bwahahaha...
    Newbie in WC, so, be prepared to laugh ===>
    I aint laughing Thanks for being true to yourself and it's good to examine yourself the way you have imho, but as a self confessed newbie does your Sifu or his Sifu have anything to do with your assessment?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by jesper View Post
    When I fight people from outside my club I win more often then I loose.
    Though I dont fight that much anymore, since at age 42 it takes a hell of a time to heal back up

Why would I need a belt to tell me the same ?
    I'm not really talking of belts, just someone looking through what you have done and testing your ability in an easy to understand way. Certified, yes, but no belts please.

Do you assess your ability through any other activity than fighting?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Again...all personal. Nobody can determine either points you bring up except for the practitioner themselves.
    I understand. But I'm a little bewildered that you have no contact with any seniors or a Sifu that you can trust to assess your ability in WING CHUN. Must be a lonely path for you my friend
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

My WC has no level.. if there is a rank from 1 to 10- 10 being a Sifu Sidekick.. I'm a -1...

I have no formal WC training.
    My training consists on reading WC book, watching and studying martial arts moves in movies, hitting my punching bag with some High, Med and Low kicks... both to center of mass straight and side kicks.
    I imagine a punch coming at me, I imagine blocking and hitting multiple times to center and upper mass of punching bag. I do round house kicks and I can hit a ball that's 6 feet high behind me and send a soccer ball across the street. The last time I fought in the street was in 5th grade.. I'm about to be 46 years old, so fighting to me is a last resort as I'm too old to play that way. I'm mostly looking at it for self defense as I don't want to have to use my G23 for any fight that might arise.

I have no idea what I'm doing so, I SUCK at Wing Chun!!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I've been told I'm certifiable....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I understand. But I'm a little bewildered that you have no contact with any seniors or a Sifu that you can trust to assess your ability in WING CHUN. Must be a lonely path for you my friend
    Here's the neat thing about all of this:

I talk and get together with folks just like me: lonely souls who follow their own personal path. We compare 'notes' and my life doesn't feel so isolated anymore.

Secondly, I do still see my Sifu. Once to twice a year I get to see him. But he's on his path and I'm on mine. We've talked to great lengths about this and both respect each other in where we want to take our Wing Chun. Again, we get together, compare notes and both leave feeling like we've gained something from each other's company.