Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Accent Syndrome

Foreign Accent Syndrome

I can fake a few accents, British, Scot, Jamaican, but I've never been able to do a Chinese one. Go figure.
    Migraine attack gives English woman a Chinese accent
    By Luke Salkeld
    Last updated at 11:59 AM on 20th April 2010

As anyone who suffers migraines knows, the pain can leave you speechless.

But Sarah Colwill has experienced a much more unusual vocal effect - she now speaks with a Chinese accent.

The disturbing impact of a chronic migraine has left her voice unrecognisable to family and friends.

Doctors say she has Foreign Accent Syndrome, a condition which damages the part of the brain that controls speech and word formation.

It is so rare, there are only 60 recorded cases in the world.

Mrs Colwill, 35, is baffled by the effects and fears she may never regain her normal pronunciation and tone of voice.

She said the change happened after she had such an extreme headache last month that she called for an ambulance.

Paramedics said her voice sounded strange and when she arrived at hospital she realised she was speaking like a Chinese woman.

The IT project manager, who was born in Germany but has lived in Plymouth since she was a child, is having speech therapy to try to revert to her Devon accent.

Mrs Colwill said she had no idea why she had picked up the Far Eastern speech pattern. 'I have never been to China. I just want my own voice back but I don't know if I ever will. I moved to Plymouth when I was 18 months old so I've always spoken like a local.

'But following one attack an ambulance crew said I sounded Chinese. I spoke to my step-daughter on the phone from hospital and she didn't recognise who I was. She said I sounded Chinese.

'Since then I have had my friends hanging up on me because they think I'm a hoax caller.

'I speak in a much higher tone now, my voice is all squeaky. To think I am stuck with this accent is getting me down.'
    Speaking In Tongues.jpg

Mrs Colwill has suffered severe headaches for a decade but this year was diagnosed as having rare sporadic hemiplegic migraines.

The condition causes blood vessels in the brain to expand, resulting in stroke-like symptoms such as paralysis on one side of the body.

The effects normally last for around seven days but Mrs Colwill had several migraine attacks at once, culminating with an excruciating attack on March 20 which caused the brain damage.

She has been contacted by Professor John Coleman, a phonetics expert at Oxford University.

He said Foreign Accent Syndrome is thought to be caused by strokes and brain injuries but the condition is so rare there is limited research into why it happens.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    My wife has the southern accent (North Carolina, Louisiana) and she hates it very much. She loves my Chinglish accent and she thinks it's cute.

my wife hates it when i do a gay chinese retarded navy officer accent.

that's the one that really gets her mad.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I can do north and west Texas. I can not do east Texas.
    Sometimes I can't understand east Texas.

I can do Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota all day long.

Oh, I can also do Mid Sweden but not south Sweden.

hold the phone...

DJ, you do a gay chinese retarded navy officer accent? Got vid?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    my wife hates it when i do a gay chinese retarded navy officer accent.

that's the one that really gets her mad.
    I was a navy officer (2nd lieutenant), I am retarted, I'm also Chinese, ... never mind ... I'm not gay.

hahaha, that gave me a good laugh.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    DJ, you do a gay chinese retarded navy officer accent? Got vid?
    well, retarded gay chinese accent, but with a sailor hat on. Standing at attention. You don't want the vid.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i know when i go travelling, i always seem to take on the local dialect accent of whatever country i am in...

i spent several months in trinidad years ago, apparently i did pick up a bit of an accent because when i came back to the states my friends mentioned it. i however didnt notice it because nearly everyone had such a thick west indian accent. i think it went away fairly quickly though once i was back.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

how can you hate a southern accent?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    well, retarded gay chinese accent, but with a sailor hat on. Standing at attention. You don't want the vid.

nice image. now its in my head, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by solo1 View Post
    how can you hate a southern accent?
    ya idk i think women with southern accents are pretty sexy.

I think the Kentucky accent is nice to hear as far as NA accents go.

I also like high american (think Kelsey Grammar from Fraser).
    It has an almost english sound to it. Very sophisticated.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

im partial to the ebonics accent. it gets me hot.