Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    "we"????

speak for yourself and yours... i serve nobody but myself... there is no such thing as a purely unselfish act... anytime i do something nice, it was because i chose to do so, not coz i felt it was right or wrong... i either wanted something or i wanted to please somebody... not to say i am not nice for the sake of being nice, but make no mistake it is to make people around my happy which makes me happy... if being a good person made me feel like sh1t i wouldnt do it... anyone who denies these simple truths is lying to themselves...
    No offense, but I think your ideas on compassion are not matured enough yet perhaps.

Many people do acts or deeds not because they seek something, but because it is the right thing to do for the person or persons who are suffering.

We can indeed act for the benefit of another with no desire or need to be rewarded or noticed. Many give of their time and money and effort quite anonymously. I witness it that on a regular basis.

There is a hidden hand that helps as well in other words.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    "we"????

speak for yourself and yours... i serve nobody but myself... there is no such thing as a purely unselfish act... anytime i do something nice, it was because i chose to do so, not coz i felt it was right or wrong... i either wanted something or i wanted to please somebody... not to say i am not nice for the sake of being nice, but make no mistake it is to make people around my happy which makes me happy... if being a good person made me feel like sh1t i wouldnt do it... anyone who denies these simple truths is lying to themselves...
    Dude, the whole point of this thread is that we ARE speaking for OURSELVES, LOL !
    Of course people do good things because if makes them feel good, BUT why on earth should they feel ANYTHING at ALL ?
    What makes you feel so good about doing good?
    Why should you feel good about it?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Dude, the whole point of this thread is that we ARE speaking for OURSELVES, LOL !
    Of course people do good things because if makes them feel good, BUT why on earth should they feel ANYTHING at ALL ?
    I find that doing good things makes me feel good because in many cases, it helps to uplift someone else. Of course, sometimes I do the right thing because "it's the right thing to do," whether or not anyone else is aware that I did it or not.

Not to get too philosophical about it, but maybe, just maybe, we really ARE all connected at a spiritual level that we don't yet comprehend. If that's the case, then by doing good for/helping somebody else, we are in effect helping ourselves as much as helping them. Therefore the good feelings.

If doing good were to make you feel absolutely nothing at all, then neither would you feel anything by doing evil. The latter types are referred to as sociopaths. With no feelings about doing right or wrong things, you wouldn't even be human anymore, and would have no stimulus to do any good in the first place, except for personal survival.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I find that doing good things makes me feel good because in many cases, it helps to uplift someone else. Of course, sometimes I do the right thing because "it's the right thing to do," whether or not anyone else is aware that I did it or not.
    yes, this is my experience as well. Helping not because there is something in it for me, but rather, because it is required at the time.
    Not to get too philosophical about it, but maybe, just maybe, we really ARE all connected at a spiritual level that we don't yet comprehend. If that's the case, then by doing good for/helping somebody else, we are in effect helping ourselves as much as helping them. Therefore the good feelings.
    I believe we are and I also believe we each have a different level of awareness about it. Consider how many different shapes your mind and body changes into throughout your life. This is true of our understanding as well. Shape changes almost daily in thoughts, some hold true, others are revealed, some fall by the wayside, some are rejected outright, some are given by others and adopted as true and so on.
    If doing good were to make you feel absolutely nothing at all, then neither would you feel anything by doing evil. The latter types are referred to as sociopaths. With no feelings about doing right or wrong things, you wouldn't even be human anymore, and would have no stimulus to do any good in the first place, except for personal survival.
    Yin and yang. we need it all. we need our examples of each and our living personified expressions of same as well. It's how we perceive all things.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    No offense, but I think your ideas on compassion are not matured enough yet perhaps.

Many people do acts or deeds not because they seek something, but because it is the right thing to do for the person or persons who are suffering.

We can indeed act for the benefit of another with no desire or need to be rewarded or noticed. Many give of their time and money and effort quite anonymously. I witness it that on a regular basis.

There is a hidden hand that helps as well in other words.
    ok well i am not a christian so putting that aside, but im just being realistic... you cant name me one purely unselfish act, it doesnt exist... thats not immature, its just real...

and dont get me wrong, i do things to help people all the time... and they get alot more from it than i do sometimes, but no matter what i feel good about helping somebody in need... im just not under any illusions to the fact that those feelings are, at least in small part, a part of the motivation behind the deed... even the most anonymous deed is never anonymous to the one who did the deed and they have atleast some good feelings about doing it... gimme an example of a purely unselfish act??? doesnt exist...

you can call that immature if you want, but i must disagree...

no doubt...

why? good question... there are a few theories, god being but one... im agnostic in that respect... i just dunno for sure... i have leanings, nothing more... trying to keepan open mind about it... what sparks a thought or a feeling??? i can go on about chem reactions but thats all beside the point because it adresses everything but the real question... which of course is 'where does it come from', not 'how does it happen'... would an emotion come from the same place as a thought? i dunno... and i take anyone who says otherwise with a grain of salt... but im open to it... its possible... esspecially from a many worlds perspective, that everything that can be is... ive put alot of time into it, learned alot, but never found any answer ever remotely close to what you asked... just a ton of folks who say the have the answer... i have faith in many things, but not something this big... besides, i wouldnt take any comfort either way, im ok with whatever, so i have no motivation to simply "believe"...

We are all under God's grace and as such we ALL have the chance for everlasting life
    im only telling you this one time, because we both christian brothers. if you really believe in yahushua, you should stop posting picture of naked women, especially since you are a married man.

religions isnt about feelings. religion is not a belief. it is a total way of life. its not what you say, its what you do.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-31-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    im only telling you this one time, because we both christian brothers. if you really believe in yahushua, you should stop posting picture of naked women, especially since you are a married man.

religions isnt about feelings. religion is not a belief. it is a total way of life. its not what you say, its what you do.
    1. There is nothing particularly offensive about the human form and for males in the greater part, certainly nothing wrong with a little eye candy. Without the express intention of degradation or harm, there is none in showing a body.

2. yes it is about feeling and yes it is a belief and it is part of your total way of life but unless you are a monk or a priest, it's probably not your total way of life.

In anything deeds have more weight than words, but words are very powerful indeed. they are the tools of persuasion and the vehicle that lays the plans for implementation of action quite often.

jesus liked boobs too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

im saying if you talk about jesus this, jesus that, i love him so much, have the decency to not post half naked pictures of promiscuous women. in the same thread.

if a little eye candy of tits and ass dont hurt living a life of righteousness, why not sodomizing another man? molest kids? bomb brown countries? reject nicene creed? lots of christians can come up with justifications for those things.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-31-2011 at 05:24 AM.

im saying if you talk about jesus this, jesus that, i love him so much, have the decency to not post half naked pictures of promiscuous women. in the same thread.

if a little eye candy of tits and ass dont hurt living a life of righteousness, why not sodomizing another man? molest kids? bomb brown countries? reject nicene creed? lots of christians can come up with justifications for those things.
    hmmmn, well the real question is, what harm is brought by it?

harm is brought by sodomizing other men as well as molestation of kids, bombing people etc.

The rejection of the Nicene creed? Where you going with that? lol

You do know the difference between an apple and a crescent wrench right?

not sure how a mildly stimulating photo of a buxom girl is anti-christian in anyway.

Is she a slave? Is she willfully presenting herself or forced? Is there harm in this?
    These are the questions and if you are Christian as you say, you'd know that already.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A valid point and one that I could argue with, but I won't because, well, to be honest, I never know when you are being serious or not, LOL !

In case you are serious, religion is a set of beliefs, NOT a way of life, religion is, quite simply, what I posted earlier and has very little to do with faith, God or anything else outside of establishing a set of procedures for people who are like minded.
    I have no issue with religion because religion is NOT a living thing, it doesn't harm people, it doesn't do anything, PEOPLE do.

If my posting pictures of the beautiful female form offend you, perhaps you need to look deep INSIDE you and find out WHY that is.
    I am sure you know the old parable of the two monks and the young girl by the river.

it offends me because i went to kingdom halls, then assyrian orthodox church with arab friends. i view christianity with strict old world value.

i also put myself in other peoples perspective very strongly. i cannot stand thinking of killing the natives just to live like this in their land. or christians being raped by lions and baboons then eaten by them in coleseums just so we can live like this.

i only said it once because bible says we have to tell christian brothers so their blood guilt is not on our heads. and im never saying this again.
    Last edited by bawang; 05-31-2011 at 06:15 AM.

it offends me because i went to kingdom halls, then assyrian orthodox church with arab friends. i view christianity with strict old world value.

i also put myself in other peoples perspective very strongly. i cannot stand thinking of killing the natives just to live like this in their land. or christians being raped by lions and baboons then eaten by them in coleseums just so we can live like this.

i only said it once because bible says we have to tell others so their blood guilt is not on our heads.
    This is what can be regarded as losing context and not acting in the here and now.

Christians are no longer killed in the coliseum. That is a part of the history of that faith though.

All countries are in flux at all times. perhaps not within the very short span of a single human life, but overall, the greater majority humanity has been in the role of conqueror.

Even the native people of north america who were conquered, at one time spent their days conquering each other and taking lands, slaves, etc. They were simply overwhelmed by technologically superior Europeans over a 500 year period and we are now, where we are.

the improper assimilation of these people's into the greater society is a bigger problem in my opinion because it is a form of soft apartheid and I don't agree with it. I do not advocate for distinct societies etc. There is One society and any subs to it should be of their own volition and not bring harm to the greater society. Period.

So, no specials for Natives or French. you're all just Canadian, eat your donuts, pay your taxes like the rest of us and put it out of your mind that you or your people are inherently more special than anyone else. Pandering to that crap is a fools game.

people who really want to preserve their heritage will do so, but I would remind everyone, that heritage is only a memory for nearly all people. We are not primitives after all.

Also, you can't stand to think about killing natives to live on their land? Dude, that is so out there as to be ridiculous, for one thing it is an infinite loop of hypocrisy to get caught up in that thought form. You are here. Deal with it.

It is my opinion and eminently observable that societies that have at their foundation the judao-christian ethic are the most successful societies, peaceful societies internally and functionally successful. Western liberal democracies more or less are these countries.

Why hate yourself? And, the established church is not the faith. It's a box that people congregate in to worship. This worship can be done with equal efficacy in your own closed closet.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i only said it once because bible says we have to tell christian brothers so their blood guilt is not on our heads. and im never saying this again.
    Having family that are JW's ( Father, Mother and Older sister) I too have had my share of kingdom halls.
    The hypocracy of the governing Pharisees and the Sanhedrin is alive and well in those places.
    Killing is wrong, hate is wrong and Christ was very clear on his views on how One is to treat even those One considers an "enemy"- we are to love them, care for them and pray for them.
    Christ led by example, as did many martyrs after Him.

If one choose a path of "justification by works" then that is the path they have chosen, just as if one chooses the path of "judgment by judgment of others" that is also the path they have chosen.

Well, luckily none of you will have to deal with any of this crap. You will die as all people eventually do, and you will cease to exist. You will never again be aware. Even Adolf, Joseph, and all the heinous murderers of the world from the beginning of time will get the same ride with nothing to fear in the way of punishment. Not right or wrong, just reality.
    I don't mind telling you that I do not believe in god or an after life, but because so many people do, I cater to their needs in the manner of minister. I have made $1500 since last Sunday, and have only worked maybe 4 hours. Hypocrite? No. I am not required to believe what I preach just as long as it is in scripture. The word, some prefer to call it. I can marry you, I can baptise you, and I can absolve you of all your sins. It will cost you though, and if you try to stiff me, I can also give you last rites.
    Jackie Lee